IGNORED

Hurricane Irma

Louis

57 minutes ago, holystove said:

second time in less than a month a "once in 500 years" storm has hit the US.  

Irma is now the size of France

Two new storms are forming : Jose and Katia

Either the US isn't going to get any other hurricanes for the next millenium, or the climate might be changing.

Those Chinese have a lot to answer for...

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Not being flippant and I hope not too many are hurt but that reminded me of this, great film.

me too Mike, one reason I posted it was to lighten the mood a bit.  the other reason is I like orange juice.

1 hour ago, holystove said:

second time in less than a month a "once in 500 years" storm has hit the US.  

Irma is now the size of France

Two new storms are forming : Jose and Katia

Either the US isn't going to get any other hurricanes for the next millenium, or the climate might be changing.

No such thing as climate change  Trump said so and therefore must be true.

34 minutes ago, Matt said:

Those Chinese have a lot to answer for...

No automatic alt text available.

1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

Luckily (for a lack of better words), it's heading around the coast of Florida and won't be coming near the Gulf. Looks like my area will miss the worst of it.

...but it looks like Atlanta will be right in its path. It should be downgraded to a tropical storm by then, though. I suspect we'll suffer bad flooding rather than too much wind damage.

5 hours ago, Louis said:

Expecting that number of people to evacuate is ridiculous. My guess is that fewer than half will respond, despite it being mandatory. Frankly, if they haven't left already, they won't leave now.

We offered accommodation in our home for various friends, but most are staying put. One family traveled halfway but, since the hurricane is now moving further west, they'll be traveling most of the way back today.

22 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I'm on holiday in Orlando right now. Just sat in the apartment with a few cans and bottles of beer. We are all stocked up and ready to ride it out.

Weather has been glorious all week with just the regular showers at noon.

Today we have seen the weather change. It has been dull and heavy clouds all day, still really warm and clammy though. Wind has picked up and stores have all closed.

We went to Target today and picked up some toys and games for the kids incase we lose power, we have plenty water and juice to drink and canned foods.

I would suggest buying a box of plastic sandwich bags, filling each bag with water, and putting them in the hotel room refrigerator. If there's flooding in Orlando, there are sometimes issues with drinking water, so it's useful to have a backup option. A box of sandwich bags costs next to nothing, and it's a lot cheaper than buying bottled water.

For us, it was little more than steady rain for a few hours and occasional gusts of wind. Really nothing to speak of.

Having said that, the many trees in this area (because Atlanta was essentially built in a forest) are unused to any wind and will topple over in gusts. One fell over power lines outside my son's house, effectively blocking his driveway.