IGNORED

Ronald Koeman's signings re-evaluated

Isaiah

Interested to get some thoughts on how you rate Ronald Koeman's signings in retrospect, having seen what they can do under different managers. I couldn't stand him as a manager (dour, unlikeable and never seemed like he gave a shit), but the core of our current team owes a lot to him. Here is a full list of the players he signed during his time as manager (in order of cost, and according to Transfermarkt), with my own rating:

Gylfi Sigurdsson (49.4 million euros)

Turned out to be a key player for us this season. Very happy with him. 8/10

Yannick Bolasie (28.9 million euros)

Decent for a spell but not worth the cash. You could perhaps say the injury affected his abilities when he came back, but I don't think so. He's not a top class player but we paid (at the time) top class money for him. 5/10

Jordan Pickford (28.5 million euros)

England's number 1 for a long time to come. Koeman's best signing. 10/10. 

Michael Keane (28.5 million euros)

Who the hell is this rock-solid defender we've seen this season? It's the guy we paid almost 30 million for. Delighted with him but by God he took his time to get up to speed. Him and Mina/Zouma have the makings of a great central defensive partnership well into the next decade. 8/10

Davy Klaassen (27 million euros)

Will go down as one of the biggest wastes of cash in Everton history. No idea if he's a good player or not because I barely saw him play. Good player at the wrong club perhaps? I don't know. Bizarre signing. 1/10

Morgan Schneiderlin (22.9 million euros)

Right off the bat let me admit I'm biased against this player, because I don't like his attitude at all. He doesn't seem to have any passion or drive to win games. Not a fan, and I'd rather he wasn't at the club. Thankfully Silva seems to have sussed him out early on. 3/10. 

Ashley Williams (14 million euros)

Did a job for us. About all I can say, other than he also scored a few useful goals. 5/10. 

Nikola Vlasic (10.8 million euros)

Doing well in Moscow, but as someone who lives in Russia I can tell you that the Russian premier league is like England's League 2. I don't think he'll ever be an Everton first-team player. A fairly cheap gamble that didn't pay off. No real problem, we'll almost certainly get our money back for him. 3/10

Ademola Lookman (8.8 million euros)

May turn out to be the bargain of the decade, but who really knows at this point? We've seen flashes of what he can do. I'd like to see him take Walcott's place in the first team from now until after the Christmas schedule. A cheap and very shrewd signing. 9/10 (the rating is for his potential and the low price we got him for) .

Idrissa Gueye (8.5 million euros)

An excellent signing for the money. Very solid player. He can't hit the target for shit (never seen an Everton midfielder with a worse shot) but he can make life very uncomfortable for the opposing midfield. 9/10. 

Henry Onyekuru (8 million euros)

God only knows. ?/10

Sandro Ramirez (6 million euros)

When we signed him I couldn't believe how cheap we got him for. Now I can. 2/10. 

Dominic Calvert-Lewin (1.8 million euros)

Never going to be a world-beater, but for the money he's been an excellent bit of business. 10/10

Maarten Stekelenberg (1 million euros)

Not a very good keeper, always felt nervous when he was between the posts. 4/10 

How do you rate Koeman's signings? I think most of us agree he was a poor manager (or at least not a good fit for Everton), but on the whole do you think he spent wisely?

On 24/11/2018 at 19:37, Isaiah said:

Interested to get some thoughts on how you rate Ronald Koeman's signings in retrospect, having seen what they can do under different managers. I couldn't stand him as a manager (dour, unlikeable and never seemed like he gave a shit), but the core of our current team owes a lot to him. Here is a full list of the players he signed during his time as manager (in order of cost, and according to Transfermarkt), with my own rating:

Gylfi Sigurdsson (49.4 million euros)

Turned out to be a key player for us this season. Very happy with him. 8/10

Yannick Bolasie (28.9 million euros)

Decent for a spell but not worth the cash. You could perhaps say the injury affected his abilities when he came back, but I don't think so. He's not a top class player but we paid (at the time) top class money for him. 5/10

Jordan Pickford (28.5 million euros)

England's number 1 for a long time to come. Koeman's best signing. 10/10. 

Michael Keane (28.5 million euros)

Who the hell is this rock-solid defender we've seen this season? It's the guy we paid almost 30 million for. Delighted with him but by God he took his time to get up to speed. Him and Mina/Zouma have the makings of a great central defensive partnership well into the next decade. 8/10

Davy Klaassen (27 million euros)

Will go down as one of the biggest wastes of cash in Everton history. No idea if he's a good player or not because I barely saw him play. Good player at the wrong club perhaps? I don't know. Bizarre signing. 1/10

Morgan Schneiderlin (22.9 million euros)

Right off the bat let me admit I'm biased against this player, because I don't like his attitude at all. He doesn't seem to have any passion or drive to win games. Not a fan, and I'd rather he wasn't at the club. Thankfully Silva seems to have sussed him out early on. 3/10. 

Ashley Williams (14 million euros)

Did a job for us. About all I can say, other than he also scored a few useful goals. 5/10. 

Nikola Vlasic (10.8 million euros)

Doing well in Moscow, but as someone who lives in Russia I can tell you that the Russian premier league is like England's League 2. I don't think he'll ever be an Everton first-team player. A fairly cheap gamble that didn't pay off. No real problem, we'll almost certainly get our money back for him. 3/10

Ademola Lookman (8.8 million euros)

May turn out to be the bargain of the decade, but who really knows at this point? We've seen flashes of what he can do. I'd like to see him take Walcott's place in the first team from now until after the Christmas schedule. A cheap and very shrewd signing. 9/10 (the rating is for his potential and the low price we got him for) .

Idrissa Gueye (8.5 million euros)

An excellent signing for the money. Very solid player. He can't hit the target for shit (never seen an Everton midfielder with a worse shot) but he can make life very uncomfortable for the opposing midfield. 9/10. 

Henry Onyekuru (8 million euros)

God only knows. ?/10

Sandro Ramirez (6 million euros)

When we signed him I couldn't believe how cheap we got him for. Now I can. 2/10. 

Dominic Calvert-Lewin (1.8 million euros)

Never going to be a world-beater, but for the money he's been an excellent bit of business. 10/10

Maarten Stekelenberg (1 million euros)

Not a very good keeper, always felt nervous when he was between the posts. 4/10 

How do you rate Koeman's signings? I think most of us agree he was a poor manager (or at least not a good fit for Everton), but on the whole do you think he spent wisely?

You've listed the reasons why the Koeman-Walsh reign was a disaster for us in terms of signings - Klaasen, Schneiderlin, Bolasie. Add Williams and Sandro to that list and that's £100m worth pissed up against the wall. When you then balance that against the players they sold or allowed to leave, they left our playing squad in a far worse state than what they found it in.