IGNORED

Manchester United (Carabao Cup Home) Wednesday 23 December

markjazzbassist

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't subscribe but I thought this might be of interest given some of the comments from last night.

not sure why, Gomes is not a DM never has been.  he needs to be played in the advanced midfield role linking play and moving the ball around between the forwards.  his skill set is ball retention and passing, he has never been a great tackler or defender.  the only spot he should be rotating with is Gylfi.  he should never be played in the deeper roles.  that's allan/doucoure/davies/JP/delph territory

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not sure why, Gomes is not a DM never has been.  he needs to be played in the advanced midfield role linking play and moving the ball around between the forwards.  his skill set is ball retention and passing, he has never been a great tackler or defender.  the only spot he should be rotating with is Gylfi.  he should never be played in the deeper roles.  that's allan/doucoure/davies/JP/delph territory

So are you now saying he didn't play well yesterday?

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

So are you now saying he didn't play well yesterday?

in the matchday thread i was bewildered why he was pulled off.  he was stringing passes together, being a fulcrum to transition play, and helping in the build up and final third play.  he was doing his job, i thought he was fine.  iwobi needed to be pulled he was awful fucking up every attack in the final third.  that anyone thinks he should be gana tackling machine is just bizarre, he has never been that and never will be.

I hope for Gomes, Davies, Pickford's, Kenny's sake they get moved to a club where they can be the best version of themselves and get to a place where they satisfy the potential they have 

I'm not being sarcastic or anything but none of them offer us what we need to get where we want to be.... But they have a few years of football in them and it would be a shame if this was their happiest in their profession because they can't be. 

Its all very well getting into debates on whether Gomez was good enough last night. .. he wasn't and the stats prove it, and I don't see a position for him to excel in, the same for Davies. 

I think there are a few cracking lads in that group and my criticism of them sounds like I don't like them personally... Not the case, they frustrate me, In the case of Davies he lacks the legs and physical ability to play the role. 

We are unlikely to see them in a blue shirt next season I think. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

in the matchday thread i was bewildered why he was pulled off.  he was stringing passes together, being a fulcrum to transition play, and helping in the build up and final third play.  he was doing his job, i thought he was fine.  iwobi needed to be pulled he was awful fucking up every attack in the final third.  that anyone thinks he should be gana tackling machine is just bizarre, he has never been that and never will be.

When Gomes went off for Davies - we saw Doucoure become more box to box, rather than sitting deeper. I think I was more to allow Doucoure to press further up up the pitch and give him the freedom to break in any counter attacks. Thus Davies sat deeper and provided 'better' defensive cover than Gomes would if Doucoure was caught out further up the field. 

38 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I hope for Gomes, Davies, Pickford's, Kenny's sake they get moved to a club where they can be the best version of themselves and get to a place where they satisfy the potential they have 

I'm not being sarcastic or anything but none of them offer us what we need to get where we want to be.... But they have a few years of football in them and it would be a shame if this was their happiest in their profession because they can't be. 

Its all very well getting into debates on whether Gomez was good enough last night. .. he wasn't and the stats prove it, and I don't see a position for him to excel in, the same for Davies. 

I think there are a few cracking lads in that group and my criticism of them sounds like I don't like them personally... Not the case, they frustrate me, In the case of Davies he lacks the legs and physical ability to play the role. 

We are unlikely to see them in a blue shirt next season I think. 

Davies bit I totally agree, you seem to have changed your stance a little from yesterday.

Pickford? Few errors this season but none I believe that lead to a goal. 

Not many keepers in the league will play a faultless 90 mins. 

an out field player will make errors every game but the keepers errors are highlighted.

Pickford IMO is a decent keeper.

I would go as far as saying his footwork and distribution is the best in prem. 

Olsen tried playing the quick long ball out last night and he scuffed it out wide.

3 hours ago, milesey05 said:

Davies bit I totally agree, you seem to have changed your stance a little from yesterday.

Pickford? Few errors this season but none I believe that lead to a goal. 

Not many keepers in the league will play a faultless 90 mins. 

an out field player will make errors every game but the keepers errors are highlighted.

Pickford IMO is a decent keeper.

I would go as far as saying his footwork and distribution is the best in prem. 

Olsen tried playing the quick long ball out last night and he scuffed it out wide.

Davies I haven't changed my mind on. He plays cos more expensive options fail and he's not good enough to be playing in tier 1 games.  Fine if he's to play against lower teams for last 20 minutes because he's a lower wage player but that's it... For me he will want more and that's elsewhere. 

Pickford isn't a decent keeper, if he was decent he wouldn't divide opinion. Olsens mistakes didn't cost a goal... Does that make them less of a mistake? 

12 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Davies I haven't changed my mind on. He plays cos more expensive options fail and he's not good enough to be playing in tier 1 games.  Fine if he's to play against lower teams for last 20 minutes because he's a lower wage player but that's it... For me he will want more and that's elsewhere. 

Pickford isn't a decent keeper, if he was decent he wouldn't divide opinion. Olsens mistakes didn't cost a goal... Does that make them less of a mistake? 

Olsen’s footwork is as shaky as a shitting dog.

I rate Pickford on his day buts that’s my opinion.

Every keeper has a moment in a match.

have a good Christmas.

On 24/12/2020 at 15:16, markjazzbassist said:

I don't think Carlo was expecting Gomes to be a "tackling machine" but he needed to be there to stop that ball going into the attacker. There was one point in the game when he got attracted to the ball and left his man behind, causing Mina all sorts of problems which eventually led to a chance when he again didn't track the man when he had the opportunity. That is bread and butter midfield work. 

As for his passing, I have just checked the chalkboard on the EFC website and there is one obvious forwards pass. Most went backwards or to the right wing. I will say that I have not always had the most joy with that site!

I wouldn’t say he was bad, I just think he was ineffective and it wasn't a surprise that he was taken off. Not that Davies did any better!