IGNORED

Tokyo Olympics

I have enjoyed the Olympics it’s got me through 10 days of isolation, but what I won’t miss is Clare Balding and Alex Scott’s attempted humour or should I say humourless, ever since that retired MP criticised Scott’s diction, they have been cringe worthy in their attempt to play the street cred Scott and the upper class Balding, I have felt for Balding who is a very knowledgeable presenter, you can see the embarrassment in her face having to play the idiot. Anyway like I said I have enjoyed the Olympics even if as a prisoner in my cell with nothing better to do. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Just most golds. No athlete would swap a gold for a silver and 2 bronze.

i don't agree with this at all, in essence you are saying only gold matters which is completely untrue.  the difference between the 3 is extremely minute, most winners say gold is the best but any medal is better than nothing.  im not into minimizing others triumphs.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't agree with this at all, in essence you are saying only gold matters which is completely untrue.  the difference between the 3 is extremely minute, most winners say gold is the best but any medal is better than nothing.  im not into minimizing others triumphs.

The official medal table is, and always has been, number of golds first measure. Means that, looking at this year's table for an example, Puerto Rico (1-0-0) are ahead of Azerbaijan (0-3-4); you might not agree with it but it's how it is. Kazakhstan another example, 28th on number of medals (8) but 82nd in the table because they're all bronze. Them's the rules (unless you're 'merican and make up your own😂).

The essence of sport is to win. 1st is the best and 2nd is the first loser, the countries competing in the Olympics should be graded based on who has the most Gold medals as in a nutshell they are the countries that are the best at the sport they are competing in, they are the countries that have quite literally won. There isn't an argument IMO that the most amount of medals is the way to go as in theory it just means that you've been decent at a sport but simply not good enough to be the best.

30 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The official medal table is, and always has been, number of golds first measure. Means that, looking at this year's table for an example, Puerto Rico (1-0-0) are ahead of Azerbaijan (0-3-4); you might not agree with it but it's how it is. Kazakhstan another example, 28th on number of medals (8) but 82nd in the table because they're all bronze. Them's the rules (unless you're 'merican and make up your own😂).

I like basketball, but what infuriates me every year is that the winners of the NBA (made up of teams from USA & Canada) become the world champions. Such ignorance.

2 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

The essence of sport is to win. 1st is the best and 2nd is the first loser...

True enough, can see how some lesser medals are hugely celebrated though because of circustance, Laura Muir in the 1500m being a prime example. But then you have Benjamin Whittaker, British boxer who got a silver and put it in his pocket rather than around his neck, and said, "you don't win a silver, you lose a gold" which is completely true is a sport like boxing. Conversely, if you win a 3rd/4th play-off at anything (which they don't have in boxing for reasons that I'll never understand) you do actually win a bronze so it's a different mindset.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I have enjoyed the Olympics it’s got me through 10 days of isolation, but what I won’t miss is Clare Balding and Alex Scott’s attempted humour or should I say humourless, ever since that retired MP criticised Scott’s diction, they have been cringe worthy in their attempt to play the street cred Scott and the upper class Balding, I have felt for Balding who is a very knowledgeable presenter, you can see the embarrassment in her face having to play the idiot. Anyway like I said I have enjoyed the Olympics even if as a prisoner in my cell with nothing better to do. 

Alex Scott is a lovely woman but she's not a presenter, just wooden (don't give a shit about her pronounciation), Sam Quek the same. On Sky Michael Owen presenting will be dreadful (not Olympic related obviously). Huge difference between being the "expert summariser" and the anchor, Gary Lineker is the only one I can think of who's successfully made the jump.

18 hours ago, MikeO said:

Not to worry mike we have the most gold medals and overall medals so either way you look at it USA is top of the table ;)

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not to worry mike we have the most gold medals and overall medals so either way you look at it USA is top of the table ;)

Aha, hadn't noticed you pipped China at the end, fair play.

We'd have been 4th by either measure.

I read an article somewhere on the amount of funding for each sport in the Olympics.  Most sports were getting in the region of £20million plus. Couldn't help thinking back to when I got my invitation to play in a trial match for the GB team at the Rome Olympics (1960).  I went to see my boss and asked him what the arrangements would be if I got selected.  He said he would check with Head Office.  A few days later, he told me that I would have to take unpaid leave.  I played in the trial match but wasn't selected. Even if I had been I wouldn't have been able to go, as just married, with a big mortgage (at the time) and no savings, I couldn't have afforded the three or four weeks without pay.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think our medal tally just dropped from 65 to 64.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/58193101

It’s really gotten silly.  The whole Russian team dopes and they just compete as Russian Olympic team or something, but the fact is, they are doping!

either make all the doping legal or ban anyone for life if it’s a sure fire offense.  The whole Russian team?  Yeah ban them.  Watch, you do that people might actually take it serious and play by the rules when there are actual consequences.