IGNORED

F1 Chat

Here we go again.

"Do I feel comfortable here? I wouldn't say I do," says Lewis Hamilton as he criticises "terrifying" laws in Saudi Arabia and details human rights concerns ahead of debut race on Jeddah street track; Saudi sports minister insists country is changing and evolving.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Naughty from Mercedes there, surely a penalty for Bottas.

Just now, Gwlad all over said:

Red flag now.

How the tables have turned, a Mercedes procession has turned into an open goal for Max Verstappen.

Unless there's another SC I don't see how Mercedes get past the Red Bull, its basically Monaco at night.

Said to all along, but can still see drama however. If there's a second or two between them with a few laps to go I expect the car in P2 to attempt to go around the car in P1, regardless if there's space or not.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

A bit of a dog's breakfast and miscommunication of messages between race control and teams.

Yep, Masi caused that major incident. I don't blame Verstappen or Hamilton for it - rightly told RB that Verstappen had to give the place back but then took his sweet time informing Mercedes so that a rapid Hamilton was faced with a quickly slowing down Verstappen and didn't have a clue what was going on.

Insane race. Bring on next week!

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yep, Masi caused that major incident. I don't blame Verstappen or Hamilton for it - rightly told RB that Verstappen had to give the place back but then took his sweet time informing Mercedes so that a rapid Hamilton was faced with a quickly slowing down Verstappen and didn't have a clue what was going on.

Insane race. Bring on next week!

Yeah I thought it was strange. I would think he would communicate with Mercedes first to appease their frustration and then inform red bull of the decision. That way if/when the car in front reacts to the decision the following car is at least somewhat aware of what’s happening.

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yeah I thought it was strange. I would think he would communicate with Mercedes first to appease their frustration and then inform red bull of the decision. That way if/when the car in front reacts to the decision the following car is at least somewhat aware of what’s happening.

He couldn't inform Mercedes first though because he offered it to RB rather than telling them that that was what was happening.

Absolutely bizarre that the fella in charge effectively said "this is what I think you should do, let me know in a minute if you agree".

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He couldn't inform Mercedes first though because he offered it to RB rather than telling them that that was what was happening.

Absolutely bizarre that the fella in charge effectively said "this is what I think you should do, let me know in a minute if you agree".

Yeah well he messed it up completely not even knowing Ocon was leading at that point and offering red bull second spot first.

Tough track - I think teams will have taken a lot from that race for the next one tactics wise.

Interesting that Masi has mentioned the fact that any "unsporting conduct" this weekend could be punished by a points deduction, plainly directed at Verstappen.

That'd be unprecendented though, Schumacher intentionally took out Damon Hill in the final race in 1994 without penalty; Senna took out Prost in the first corner of the final race in 1990 without penalty; both basically won the championship by cheating/gamesmanship.

I'm not suggesting that Max should be able to take Lewis out without punishment, that'd be as wrong as the two examples I gave were, but Schumacher and Senna were allowed to do it. Masi on very thin ice I think, hope it's clean.

The other possibility is if Lewis disappears into the sunset (which seems likely) what's to stop Perez dropping off the pace  and taking him out when he's trying to lap him? Going to be interesting.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Interesting that Masi has mentioned the fact that any "unsporting conduct" this weekend could be punished by a points deduction, plainly directed at Verstappen.

That'd be unprecendented though, Schumacher intentionally took out Damon Hill in the final race in 1994 without penalty; Senna took out Prost in the first corner of the final race in 1990 without penalty; both basically won the championship by cheating/gamesmanship.

I'm not suggesting that Max should be able to take Lewis out without punishment, that'd be as wrong as the two examples I gave were, but Schumacher and Senna were allowed to do it. Masi on very thin ice I think, hope it's clean.

The other possibility is if Lewis disappears into the sunset (which seems likely) what's to stop Perez dropping off the pace  and taking him out when he's trying to lap him? Going to be interesting.

The team at Red bull should be making sure that their drivers don’t deliberately try and take Hamilton out, and to make sure this message gets across Red bull should be warned that if this does happen Verstappen will not be crowned champion and they will be excluded from winning any points in next season’s constructors championship, I think that should ensure fair play ensues.