IGNORED

Midfielder

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's just sign gravesen again for 1mil -- he knows the team, the set-up and if he can repeat his form of '04/'05 great, if not he'll be decent enough for some depth on the bench

Here was me thinking we wanted to buy quality and add to the team. I must have been wrong if people are wanting a has been back. I thought as a football club we were past all that?

let's just sign gravesen again for 1mil -- he knows the team, the set-up and if he can repeat his form of '04/'05 great, if not he'll be decent enough for some depth on the bench

Silly boy :lol: cant even get into the celtic side these days.

I favour a move for guti tbh, availble after madrid have signed snijder (spelling) and robben

"Here was me thinking we wanted to buy quality and add to the team. I must have been wrong if people are wanting a has been back. I thought as a football club we were past all that?"

how can replacing one of neville/carsley in midfield with gravesen be going backwards?!?!? you honestly believe they are better, more creative players?

it may not be the sort of signing that will take us into the top 4 (co-incidentally the last time that happened gravesen was there) but it will certainly do for now, especially 4 days from closing of the transfer window

If it just cover that is needed what about former Chelsea player Jiri Jarosik - Don't beleive he is having to good a time getting in the Celtic. Could either get him on loan or on the cheap.

Not a bad player to have on the bench, as he is not scared of a shot and can hit the back of the net. Decent enough player to bring on if you want an attacking midfeilder when you are chasing a game - a la Blackburn.

OK not going to turn us in to World beaters by any means, but is a little different to what we already have, is going to be realatively inexpensive, and has European experience.

Only a thought, to be thrown in to the mix.

Would SWP be obtainable for £10m or so?

^^ Quality player but he's a wide player even though Id love him here we need a proper center mid, not a Neville who can't play anywer or a pienaar who plays across the hole midfield and isnt getting played because of his size imo, which is unfair. we need to buy a player who's played center midfield all his life and can pass a ball, simple as, I can't think why its so hard to find a creative player theres loads of them.

Edited by Blue4Ever

If Yakubu comes,that in its self will help Arteta!

At the moment teams cope withour aimless long balls to AJ or to the(need more

experience)Anichebe.Enabling them to watch the Arteta route,as they did at

Reading.

IF Yakubu does what people expect of him....his power and strength coupled with

AJ's speed will cause much more of a problem,thus with a bit of luck Arteta may

get that bit more space he needs.

Cahill back in the team will also help Arteta......he was most teams enemy number

one a while back.

Artetas problem just lately is that he is our only major threat....although,Carsley

and Neville will battle,opponents don't mind giving them a couple of extra yards

whilst keeping tabs with the real creator Arteta.

A team with a second forward either Vaughan or Yakubu and Cahill,will see us

creating more chances.At the same time Baines and Jagielka settle in to the

team.......I think making us a very hard team to beat.

From what i've seen the most likely replacement appears to be Nolan, however as people have rightly asked, is this the right move?

Whether it be Yakubu, Vaughan, Anichebe or McFadden, Moyes seems to prefer a 4-4-2 system these days. Therefore we have 4 midfield positions to feel. In my opinion Arteta is put on the right with Cahill in the middle. This leaves us with a creative left winger position and also a holding midfielder.

I believe Pip should play at right back. Can Jags play the holding midfield role? Should the holding midfielder just be able to shackle the opposition and provide cover or do we need someone who can also provide good distribution to our 'wingers'?

If happy with Jags, we just need a left winger, in which case someone like Matty Taylor would be ideal.

Obviously the other side to it is if DM wants to switch to 4-5-1. Ignoring the fact thatone of AJ/whoever would get dropped, who fills the extra midefield spot - McFadden? Pip (and put TH at RB)? Carsley? I think this is where Nolan fits in. If we had Taylor & Arteta on the wings, Jags holding, Nolan & Cahill supporting AJ, this would be a pretty strong line up.

Effectively, what i'm saying is we need to sign Taylor (7m?) AND Nolan (5m?).

Forget about joe cole - that's ridiculous!!!

Diarra - good young player may be worth a go at £3m or season loan

Diop - definately available for around £3m - proven to be class at times in the prem but plagued with injuries and still ??? over his over-all fitness

Nolan - if we could get him for £5m then in my opinion this would be a great bit of business

Vogel - I didn't see what happened to him but maybe still a pos...

all would improve squad and dare i say are better than some of what we already have.

I feel a problem area still though is left mid - i'd love to see piennar have a game but i'm sure moyes will give him his chance. For me though we should strengthen this position:

Taylor - class shot and cross and can defend - should be our priority in my opinion

Downing/ Gamst Pederson - long shots but if we've got money then why shouldn't we bid for the likes of these

Thomas - would give us good back-up on both wings

Barnes - class young talent - could turn out like his RS name-sake - at £4-5m that would be another bargain!

I can see something happening before fri - feel it needs to after the disappointment of manny (glad he's not signed after seeing his true colours!)

Gamst Pederson would be ahead of Taylor for me but other clubs interested in him so would be a price battle plus Balckburn won't let him go.

Taylor is more realistic, seen as though Pompey need the money....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...uth/6965730.stm

He said: "Sometimes when you are trying to raise money you have to sell someone you don't really want to sell. That could be David but it could be others."
Edited by Everton_Worshiper

Diarra - good young player may be worth a go at £3m or season loan

Diop - definately available for around £3m - proven to be class at times in the prem but plagued with injuries and still ??? over his over-all fitness

Nolan - if we could get him for £5m then in my opinion this would be a great bit of business

Vogel - I didn't see what happened to him but maybe still a pos...

Appiah over any of these!!!

Joe Cole is not a very real possibility at all for us. The lad has proven himself at Chelsea and if he left he would be going to a CL team only.

Diarra I would agree, could be a possible. With 3 days to go, I think we need to have low expectations now. Unfortunately.

Forget about joe cole - that's ridiculous!!!

Still got no chance now? He's had a bust up with Mourinho.

Still got no chance now? He's had a bust up with Mourinho.

If we sign him it must be the best signing we have made in a while. This lad is class. If he is being sold then we will have to fight of competition from West Ham - wich could be hard, dependng on if hes after money or football. Football he will pick us, money he will pick West Ham.

Matt Taylor at around 6m would be the best bet. Would fit well into the team and provide us with a true left sided player.

Would like Nolan as well as when Tim isn't around - we are lightweight in attacking central midfield.

6 for Taylor, 5 for Nolan both would be great additions.

Jason