IGNORED

Fernandes Set For Everton Return

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from yesterdays Observer:

"Everton have taken Portugal international Manuel Fernandes on loan for the second consecutive January window. The former Benfica and Portsmouth midfielder had agreed to join the club on a permanent transfer last summer only to switch to Valencia at the last minute."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2236237,00.html

Lets hope its true!

I would'nt take much notice of that paper, this was further down in that Column ....................

Hutton declined to join Tottenham on Thursday after Rangers accepted an £8m-plus offer for the 3-year-old. The player's camp is understood to have been unimpressed by the financial terms and to have sounded out Manchester United before rejecting the offer.

I know they start young these days but that kids not out of Kindergarten yet. :D :D

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/manny-loan-talks.html

I suppose that's something. I wonder why Valencia think its done though.

brilliant news. Slightly concerned what it will mean for our team, I would hope we continue with 451 as Manny could be lazy and not the most disciplined defensively - plus we need another class CM to go with him to play 442. If we stick with the 451 then that is AWESOME, Carsley defending, Manny pulling the strings, supplying Arteta and Pienaar to provide Yakubu and Cahill with the goals, plus he'll have Ossie breathing down his neck. It's just what we needed.

If Fernandes does come I can't see him playing alongside Carsley for long, Ossie will soon get his place back and our midfield will more than likely be: -

Cahill

Pienaar Fernandes Osman Arteta

I don't know about anyone else but that looks a very good midfield.

if it was Arsenal playing it with there expressive winning mentality then yes, but as it's sit back and defend what we've got Everton, I think that midfield may still be a liability against some of the big teams. I don't know, it could be great, we have an extra man in there (Cahill) so I suppose the lack of a real tackler and height may be compensated for by sheer numbers and workrate, it'll be interesting to see what Moyes does, I can't see him not having one DM in there though I have to say. After all the criticism Ossie was receiving early in the season (when on the wing!) we've missed him since he's been out, let's hope he's back for the second leg.

If Fernandes does come I can't see him playing alongside Carsley for long, Ossie will soon get his place back and our midfield will more than likely be: -

Cahill

Pienaar Fernandes Osman Arteta

I don't know about anyone else but that looks a very good midfield.

wow!! that is as good as most teams in the prem

that is a midfield to drool over.

:guitar:

I can't beleive that this might actually happen. He will add a huge dimension to the midfield now, him spud cahill, carsely and pienaar would be an immense midfield.

also thought i would quote something i wrote in this topic earlier

"I would love to take him back but this really is never going to happen. ever, EVER... and if it does i will be hugely shocked"

I love being wrong

Mark you have made my day with that news, hadnt a clue it was on the everton site.

He improves our midfield so much please make this happen moyes.

---------------------Cahill------------------

Pienaar---Fernandes----Osman----Arteta

brilliant news. Slightly concerned what it will mean for our team, I would hope we continue with 451 as Manny could be lazy and not the most disciplined defensively - plus we need another class CM to go with him to play 442. If we stick with the 451 then that is AWESOME, Carsley defending, Manny pulling the strings, supplying Arteta and Pienaar to provide Yakubu and Cahill with the goals, plus he'll have Ossie breathing down his neck. It's just what we needed.

haha you really do love 451 dont you mate.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Fernandes is a box to box midfielder though. I wasn't the biggest Osman fan before this season but he's been superb for us and I wouldnt want Carsley keeping him out of the team tbh.

The Valencia website also says there's a clause in the loan deal for a permanent transfer, no fee mentioned I don't think.

How much would everyone be willing to part with for manny if everything went well? I know he hasn't even joined us on loan yet but it doesn't hurt to speculate....

I reckon 10m is probably the highest figure i would plump for but he'd probably cost more, and then there 3rd party shite.....

Also has he played in europe this season? Is he eligible for eufa?

Edited by jamiemaher85

Fernandes is a box to box midfielder though. I wasn't the biggest Osman fan before this season but he's been superb for us and I wouldnt want Carsley keeping him out of the team tbh.

The Valencia website also says there's a clause in the loan deal for a permanent transfer, no fee mentioned I don't think.

I would assume Valencia must want to get rid and we must want to sign him so I would expect the clause, they probably want to sell him now but we can't afford the fee! Fernandes is a box to midfielder yes, but I remember in a few games (Utd for one) he did some brilliant things - that goal - but also he just seemed to jog back sometimes like he wasn't interested in helping out and grafting. He has all the attributes - height, skill, shooting, touch, vision, tackling - it's merely his mentality that concerns me. There is no doubting he could be quite comfortably the best CM we've had since the 80s (unless I'm forgetting someone?) if he applies himself. As a footballer he's in a different league from the rest of our CM's. I think it's exactly the boost the club needs as well with the African Nations on.

"I think it's exactly the boost the club needs as well with the African Nations on. "

Spot on, other than the man u game the performance that really sticks out in my mind was against arsenal, he was awesome then. oh and when he dicked all over cesc and left him on his arse. brilliant.... (also just realised how gay that last comment sounded)

14 million pounds ;)

Something like £12m.

The boy has a lot of talent he could be top draw but certainly isn't the finished article yet.

He is quite a lump which is nice to have in our tiny midfield too.

I remember reading a forum with a portugal supporter saying that he has the most talent of their up and coming players.

Howard

Neville Lescott Yobo Baines

Arteta Fernandes Cahill Carsely Pienaar

Yak

Now that is a team!

Creativity, defensive solidity, goals, passing ability. A bit lacking in pace but we should be able to pass through teams with that midfield.

I would assume Valencia must want to get rid and we must want to sign him so I would expect the clause, they probably want to sell him now but we can't afford the fee! Fernandes is a box to midfielder yes, but I remember in a few games (Utd for one) he did some brilliant things - that goal - but also he just seemed to jog back sometimes like he wasn't interested in helping out and grafting. He has all the attributes - height, skill, shooting, touch, vision, tackling - it's merely his mentality that concerns me. There is no doubting he could be quite comfortably the best CM we've had since the 80s (unless I'm forgetting someone?) if he applies himself. As a footballer he's in a different league from the rest of our CM's. I think it's exactly the boost the club needs as well with the African Nations on.

I can see what you mean about his mentality but under moyes im sure that will soon change, imo potential to be an Everton great, touch wood no1 comes in last min.

Something like £12m.

The boy has a lot of talent he could be top draw but certainly isn't the finished article yet.

He is quite a lump which is nice to have in our tiny midfield too.

I remember reading a forum with a portugal supporter saying that he has the most talent of their up and coming players.

Howard

Neville Lescott Yobo Baines

Arteta Fernandes Cahill Carsely Pienaar

Yak

Now that is a team!

Creativity, defensive solidity, goals, passing ability. A bit lacking in pace but we should be able to pass through teams with that midfield.

I agree with all that, although I don't think we are that lacking in pace - Yobo is lightening, Lescott quick enough, Baines etc, up front we have real pace and the midfield isn't slow, but I see what you mean, there is no real injection of pace in the midfield area. Don't think it's that much of an issue though, definitely needed a bit of stature in the midfield though, Diarra looked a bit small for us.

I can see what you mean about his mentality but under moyes im sure that will soon change, imo potential to be an Everton great, touch wood no1 comes in last min.

certainly Moyes (and the fans) seems to be having an impact on Yakubu so yes, possibly Fernandes will learn he needs to work hard as well as doing the fancy things, he's only young after all. Be great to have a midfielder who can score thunderbolts out of nothing :)

As for the fee... if he does sign on loan and performs then I don't really mind paying 14m for him. I'd hope we could get him for nearer 10m but at the end of the day sometimes you get what you pay for. Liverpool want Mascherano for 18m and for my money he's just a defensive midfielder (albeit a good one) whereas Fernandes is the all rounder, the Steven Gerrard type player who can transform a team, because of that I'd pay whatever it took if he's good enough.