IGNORED

Oldham

jamiemaher85

hibbert in particular he said, but then my dads been a hibbert critic since he 03/04 i think, its because he takes too long with throws in so everyone gets marked up by the time he does and that send m the aul man mental.

we are going to perform well at stamford bridge arnt we and everyone is going to be :unsure::o :

Edited by Randomness

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hibbert in particular he said, but then my dads been a hibbert critic since he 03/04 i think, its because he takes too long with throws in so everyone gets marked up by the time he does and that send m the aul man mental.

we are going to perform well at stamford bridge arnt we and everyone is going to be :unsure::o :

I fort he was one of the better performers myself

Fair play to Old-Ham they DEFENDED well they didnt really attack that much tho. We had bags of chances and Yakubus chance you have to take in to account that it was his weaker foot and the kepper came in feet first so unlucy Yak but still anoyed but we can only look on to tuesday. Bring on Chelski!!! :D

Got to give credit to Everton fans, most of the Everton fans I've encountered have give Oldham their dues, and stated we deserved the win, no bitterness, no bitching or moaning. Something which seperates you from most other Premiership teams. A kind fan even showed us the way from the ground to Liverpool Lime Street and we had a good chat with him.

A fan of that red team came up to us said congrats then asked us for some money, we said no, muppet.

Phew, a defeat is better than a replay.

The defeat emphasised the need for signings, soon.

Unfortunately, Aston Villa and Blackburn, two of Everton's challengers for a UEFA cup place, are also out; but, Manchester City have a replay.

Watching Match Of The Day, and all the empty stands at every ground - not just premier League - shows that the only people who are keen on the FA Cup are chairmen of smaller clubs (money) and, for no explicable reason, the BBC.

Good to hear that. Just looking at your table you seem a much better side away from home (not like during the "plastic" era :lol: ) so maybe you'd be better off getting another away draw before you go for another big one. Best of luck anyway.

Bill I think you overdo the "laughing stock" tag, do a search....that's the eighth time you've used the phrase in the last couple of years (admittedly one time was about the England cricket team and therefore justified :P ). This happens...it's eleven against eleven...Exeter drew at Old Trafford a couple of years back, Arsenal lost to Wrexham. I watched Guildford City beat Brentford in the sixties :D , it's what makes the FA Cup the best in the world and I love it. Watched us struggle to beat Woking 1-0 at Goodison many years back and the whole crowd gave Woking a standing ovation on their lap of honour. Brilliant stuff, it's about unlikely heroes, not laughing stocks (with the possible exception of when Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the final :D ). We're flying this season, no-one's laughing at us. Onwards and upwards....bring on Chelsea I say!!!

Very very disappointing to go out in the first round of the cup to a lower league team and there is NO exuse at all

We are not big time charlies and need to win every game.

Fook me this should have been an easy passage to the next round

At the very least its a wake up call against complacancy AGAIN

33 Wessels

02 Hibbert

15 Stubbs

16 Jagielka

03 Baines

20 Pienaar

10 Gravesen

26 Carsley

11 McFadden

08 Johnson

14 Vaughan

I really don't think we were under strength I would expect this side to give most prem teams a game. I'm gutted at the result but it seam always to happen in the fa cup and looks like it always will. I think Wessels should have done better for the goal and IMO we don't concede on the stroke of half time they dont go in with there tails up. We threw everyting at them but to be fair Oldham stood up to the challenge and rode there luck but that what usually happens when these lower teams beat higher opposition. I know you could argue that maybe Yak could have started and lescott but we will be without Yak soon and Yobo so i could see Moyes thinking in giving Stubbs and Vaughny a game, they have got to get games under their belt just in case of injuries so they can come to the fort in the prem and be match sharpe. unfortunatly it did not work out yesterday but i will stick by team selection and just put it down to a bad day at the office, and hopefully give the lads a kick up the arse for these very important games coming!!

I know we could have played lescott and the yak and Howard but surely this was the best oppertunity to give these payers a game. Surely Vaughan up front will be a likely replacement for yaks when he is away? So he is going to have to be sharpe for when he is needed. Also it takes lescott or jags to get injured and we will need to call on stubbs so i can se Moyes' thinking behind playing stubbs. Maybe we could have been stronger but in this day and age it is more and more about the squad. As i see it this was thew perfect oppertunity to give these players a game and match practice. It really boils down to the fact the team Moyes put out should have been by far good enough to beat Oldham. But that is the MAGIC OF THE FA CUP!!! Anyone agree Wessels should have saved the shot that they scored with?

oldham are a shit team, they are in league 1 for a reason

how did we not beat them especially at home in Goodison park?

How did Blackburn lose to Coventry?..........Many years back, how did Coventry lose to non-league erm, erm....well a team who were non league?, and luckypool to Burnley.......goes on and on!

If we hadn't been flying in the league, quater finals of the league cup and doing well in Europe Moyes would have had out his best team, and they would have gone for it!....STILL might not have won!........but I recon Oldham would have had more of a game.

This is why it's the beautiful game! because these results are possible, long may the smaller team beat the giants, otherwise just give the trophy to Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea!

We lost because Moyes had his eye on Tuesday, the players who did play couldn't score more goals than Oldham.....and Oldham were up for it, good luck to them!

oldham are a shit team, they are in league 1 for a reason

how did we not beat them especially at home in Goodison park?

Yeah because if it's not Premiership, it's not football. :rolleyes:

We're not a "shit team" mate, you should have more respect for lower league teams. Granted you were expected to win, but the FA Cup is the FA Cup as other people have stated, that's the magic.

Edited by Fear The Latics

Good to hear that. Just looking at your table you seem a much better side away from home (not like during the "plastic" era :lol: ) so maybe you'd be better off getting another away draw before you go for another big one. Best of luck anyway.

Cheers mate. We haven't won at home since September 29th, although we were close a few weeks ago against Doncaster when the ref gave them an injury time penalty for a foul outside the box. But we've made up for our home form away. We've only lost one game in nine in the league. A few signings should help us get in the playoffs.

Edited by Fear The Latics

Mike........"Bill I think you overdo the "laughing stock" tag, do a search....that's the eighth time you've used the phrase in the last couple of years"

I admire your powers of search Mike but i cant be arsed doing a search i'll believe you. :rolleyes: Eight times :o gosh have we only been a laughing stock eight times in 3 years, we are possibly not as bad as i thought we where.

There Now thats nine times i've used it, just in case you missed one. :lol:

look at the arse at the moment, Burnley are far the better side and have been for the majority of the game. was only a decent finish and burnleys lack of, that they aint winning against one of the big for. Put it down to the magic of the cup, i am!

Im a blue through and through, but i refuse to start slagging the guys off for loosing yesterday. Oldham wanted it more, and fair play to them! i will now be watching out for them a little bit more!

Mike........"Bill I think you overdo the "laughing stock" tag, do a search....that's the eighth time you've used the phrase in the last couple of years"

I admire your powers of search Mike but i cant be arsed doing a search i'll believe you. :rolleyes: Eight times :o gosh have we only been a laughing stock eight times in 3 years, we are possibly not as bad as i thought we where.

There Now thats nine times i've used it, just in case you missed one. :lol:

I could immagine you have used that phase to death throughout the 90's

How did Blackburn lose to Coventry?..........Many years back, how did Coventry lose to non-league erm, erm....well a team who were non league?, and luckypool to Burnley.......goes on and on!

If we hadn't been flying in the league, quater finals of the league cup and doing well in Europe Moyes would have had out his best team, and they would have gone for it!....STILL might not have won!........but I recon Oldham would have had more of a game.

This is why it's the beautiful game! because these results are possible, long may the smaller team beat the giants, otherwise just give the trophy to Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea!

We lost because Moyes had his eye on Tuesday, the players who did play couldn't score more goals than Oldham.....and Oldham were up for it, good luck to them!

Yeah because if it's not Premiership, it's not football. :rolleyes:

We're not a "shit team" mate, you should have more respect for lower league teams. Granted you were expected to win, but the FA Cup is the FA Cup as other people have stated, that's the magic.

doesnt matter, we have the players to beat them comfortabely and we should have smashed them 6-0 comfortabely. i said it before that they are in league 1 for a reason because they are total shithouse.

i said it before that they are in league 1 for a reason because they are total shithouse.

Apparently not. Is it beyond your wit to give credit where it's due Dodge?

If you want to criticize Everton fine but it's pointless, stupid, rude and irrelevant to insult Oldham.

I havn't read right through this thread so this may have been answered already, but was Grav as shit as people have been saying? I have no idea because I wasn't there.

yeah I heard he was pretty bad indeed, but then again, in his slight defence - there aren't too many midfielders on our books who shine in a 442. It does look like Gravesen hasn't got the legs for a 442 anymore (if he ever did) but I still think in a 451 he MAY be able to perform, but after Saturday I think Moyes has to be looking at a CM replacement as a must. Then again, we've known that for months. A winger and a CM and we're in business.

Pity about Vaughan, missed a good chance early on and then had his poorest game for the club, hope it won't mean Moyes holds him back for a bit as once Yak goes I'd like Vaughan to play as I'm not overly impressed with AJ, he just never seems to anticipate a flick on or through ball, everytime Cahill or Yak jump for a ball it's as if he doesn't expect them to win it ever (fair enough most of the time where Yak is concerned). Everyone keeps talking about possibly cashing in on Arteta (absolutely scandalous in my opinion) when I personally look at our squad and see 4/5 excellent strikers, one of who we could easily do without. Whilsy McFadden looks the most likely to be sold, if we got offered anything over 11m for AJ I'd sell him, Vaughan will be better anyway (if he isn't already) and Yak certainly is. Bring in another experienced CF for about 4/5m and put the rest towards Manny or someone else (preferably Appiah).

I thought Moyes put out a good team against Oldham, I can never understand rotating a goalkeeper (they don't get tired surely?) especially when in reserve you have a guy towards the end of his career with no real motivation to shine as he has no chance of ousting Howard anyway. Have a young goalie in reserve. If Turner/Ruddy aren't good enough then what are they doing at the club? particularly Turner who has been with us for years. Moyes put out a decent team, but they got beat. I'm not annoyed at Moyes, just the players. If you don't rotate at home against Oldham, then when do you rotate? and you have to rotate when playing in 4 competitions with a small(ish) squad.

Are you talking about Wessels being the goalkeeper towards the end of his career? He is 28.

And I find the idea of selling AJ about as scandalous as the idea of selling Arteta. Definitely can't see how Vaughan or Anichebe are better than AJ, either.

Wessels has been sitting on the bench for years, he's come to the club as back-up for the goalie, he must be 100% aware by now that he is never going to displace Howard so what is his motivation to do well? that was my point, the likes of Turner/Ruddy have everything to prove and a name to make for themselves - they should be back-up to Howard, if Turner isn't good enough then he shouldn't be at the club. That being said, I would never play a back-up keeper in the FA cup anyway!

As for AJ, it's nothing like as scandalous as selling Arteta imo. Arteta is one of our only creative players and one of only 2 decent wingers we have (the other only being on loan to us) if we sold him then we'd have a job getting anyone as good. Even when he isn't at his best he's still about the best player in our team, certainly one of them. Pienaar keeps it neat and tidy and works hard and he's amazing, Arteta keeps it neat and tidy, works hard and unless he sets up goals galore, beats three men every time he gets the ball he isn't doing enough - its ridiculous.

Whereas AJ, imo, isn't good enough. He's a decent enough player, but he's not international class. Yakubu has come in and shown up AJ's lack of quality, AJ works hard but he doesn't have the touch, the awareness, the finishing ability of the instinct of a truly top striker. So many times you see him on his heels when a flick on is won and the sad truth is, if he gives a defender a yard or two headstart then he really isn't that quick and can never get past them. For me, Vaughan (apart from on Saturday) is better in the air, more direct, has better anticipation, works just as hard and is at least as good a finisher as AJ. Moyes even said himself had Vaughan not been injured he most likely would have started the season in the team. Both players are similar, so that - imo - means we have two players playing for one position and Vaughan looks the ost promising of the two so AJ is expendable if we can get a replacement of similar ilk for a good price. Anichebe gives us a different option - height, strength, good as a substitute, so he needs to be kept on, Yakubu is obviously our number 1 and McFadden (unless sold) gives us some vision, a decent finisher with both feet and an ability to play a couple of positions. I like AJ, you have to admire his work ethic and I wanted us to sign him ahead of anyone else (realistic) out there, but I feel that he isn't the player I expected. He's good, but he's not great and now Everton are starting to go places I think there are other areas of the team we need to strengthen (midfield) and we have an embarrassment of riches up front (especially when we usually play 451). Yak and AJ don't look a good partnership either. As I say, we'd need to get a replacement in as Vaughan has had injury problems and Yak is on African Nations, but if someone did come in with silly money I'd say yes.

I don't entirely agree, but fair point.

when I say not good enough, what I meant was not good enough to take us that step further - he's a decent player and we would definitely need a replacement lined up, but I do think he is expendable if someone like West Ham came in with silly money.