35 replies to this topic

#1 craigb

craigb

King Louis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 09:11

Says on the os he has lost weight due to a viral infection which affected his blood.. When watching the match yesterday before i heard this news, i did think to myself fellaini looks really skinny, did anyone else pick this up, now that its been clarified it makes sense

#2 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,183 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 09:36

I just thought he looked sluggish, I couldn't tell he'd lost weight coz he's already a skinny bastard :P .

#3 jofanon

jofanon

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 10:00

I just thought he looked sluggish, I couldn't tell he'd lost weight coz he's already a skinny bastard :P .

I wrote yesterday saying that he had a horrible preseason. Must be because of this.

We realy need him to be a force this year. High expectations.

#4 Inca85

Inca85

Tim Howard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 10:51

Another player out?

Hm.

#5 craigb

craigb

King Louis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:02

yeah he did look very sluggish , takin the ball over the centre circle for him was a big task yesterday, it will be down to that virus though...

Yeah he is slim anyway, but he looked leaner last year, looked skinny with no muscle yesterday, although having said that he still held the ball up well at times

#6 PFthetoffee

PFthetoffee

Lee Carsley

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:10

So another trip to the US of A and another player to catch a bug...hibbert wasn't a big loss but I think pre-season trips to the states should be avoided in future....

#7 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,183 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:11

So another trip to the US of A and another player to catch a bug...hibbert wasn't a big loss but I think pre-season trips to the states should be avoided in future....

Wasn't it Thailand or somewhere similar that Hibbert caught his virus?

#8 Lowensda

Lowensda

A force to be reckoned with, I reckon

• Members
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:14

Wasn't it Thailand or somewhere similar that Hibbert caught his virus?

Nah, it was probably a lady-boy show in America that gave him it :P

#9 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,443 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:16

I just thought he looked sluggish....

How could you tell :mellow: ? The keen eyesight of youth I guess :unsure: .

#10 Lowensda

Lowensda

• Members
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:19

EW's going to be a very happy chappy after reading the article...

#11 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 11:36

:D My reputation preceds me.

Nah I said it in the Coventry thread, Fellaini is under performing and it was only a matter of time before the "illness" story came out as cover. Not going to labour my point though...

#12 holystove

holystove

Art Vandelay

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 13:03

:D My reputation preceds me.

Nah I said it in the Coventry thread, Fellaini is under performing and it was only a matter of time before the "illness" story came out as cover. Not going to labour my point though...

A man has a virus and therefor can't perform up to standard. I wish you would have "laboured your point" because I don't totally get it...

If your point is that he doesn't really have an "illness" but they're just gonna say that for the rest of his career to "cover up" alleged poor performances or lack of skill, you're even more brilliant than I thought.

TBH, I don't think Moyes cares about any of his players that much that he would actually lie to everyone just so that player can be protected. If Fellaini really is "ill" instead of ill, Moyes would just tell it like it is. These are professional players, not academy babies.

#13 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 13:47

A man has a virus and therefor can't perform up to standard. I wish you would have "laboured your point" because I don't totally get it...

If your point is that he doesn't really have an "illness" but they're just gonna say that for the rest of his career to "cover up" alleged poor performances or lack of skill, you're even more brilliant than I thought.

TBH, I don't think Moyes cares about any of his players that much that he would actually lie to everyone just so that player can be protected. If Fellaini really is "ill" instead of ill, Moyes would just tell it like it is. These are professional players, not academy babies.

Moyes has a reputation to uphold, after all he can't be seen to spend 15m (don't give a shit if it was up front or not) on a signle player only for him to turn out to be a bit of a dud.

#14 Churinga2

Churinga2

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 14:28

Nah I said it in the Coventry thread, Fellaini is under performing and it was only a matter of time before the "illness" story came out as cover.

1. this is a little pathetic. He lost alot of weight, is that part of the cover up to?

2. you're indirectly saying it is exceptional that he is underperforming, because that made you feel a cover-up was coming.

Edited by Churinga, 03 Aug 2009 - 14:31.

#15 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,687 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 14:49

i still dont get the fellaini bashin?! 10 goals from a debut season from midfield is great id say and just cos you dont like him i think its out of order to say its an "illness" give the kid a break

#16 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 15:09

1. this is a little pathetic. He lost alot of weight, is that part of the cover up to?

2. you're indirectly saying it is exceptional that he is underperforming, because that made you feel a cover-up was coming.

1. Pathetic? Why? I never commented on his weight just his performance. Before the story was released that he has lost weight had you noticed?? I think not...
2. For the reason he was bought he is underperforming.

So that is 2 people from Belguim who are offended at the mere thought of Fellaini not cutting it in the Premiership. :D :D :D

#17 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,443 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 16:11

Here's a thought.

6ft 4/5in Everton's record signing, lot of disciplinary problems but scores a goal every four games. Becomes cult hero though many supporters unconvinced.

Hero or villain?

Duncan Ferguson/Fellaini :lol: (difference being that, so far, Marouane has a slightly better strike rate and hasn't been sent off yet. It's also not his primary purpose to score goals).

#18 craigb

craigb

King Louis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 16:15

Here's a thought.

6ft 4/5in Everton's record signing, lot of disciplinary problems but scores a goal every four games. Becomes cult hero though many supporters unconvinced.

Hero or villain?

Duncan Ferguson/Fellaini :lol: (difference being that, so far, Marouane has a slightly better strike rate and hasn't been sent off yet. It's also not his primary purpose to score goals).

im not going against what you said at all, as it makes alot of sense, but what is his primary purpose, as the purpose moyes originally bought him for was to clear things up in midfield etc, but as you say, his disciplinary record shows he isnt the best at winning possesion, or at least, isnt just yet, id like to think his primary purpose is now to score goals from midfield, help out in attacks,

just some random talk here, but did you see his shot in the coventry match, keeper pulled of a great save, top corner material!!

#19 holystove

holystove

Art Vandelay

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 16:35

1. Pathetic? Why? I never commented on his weight just his performance. Before the story was released that he has lost weight had you noticed?? I think not...
2. For the reason he was bought he is underperforming.

So that is 2 people from Belguim who are offended at the mere thought of Fellaini not cutting it in the Premiership. :D :D :D

I wasn't offended by your claim that he can't make in the Premiership. If I had a problem with you saying that I'd have had to respond to every post you've made since beginning of last season.

I had a problem with your reasoning (or lack thereof). And so did Chirunga I think.

#20 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 03 Aug 2009 - 21:28

The Fellaini debate will rumble on well into the coming season.Looked good in some games, looked bad in some.Is capable in the same game of a killer touch or a goal but also looking like he has no energy and unable to get into the game.

#21 Adpom

Adpom

Duncan Ferguson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 09:21

It takes most over-seas players a season to settle an get use to the prem. Fellaini disapline got better at the end of the season, as the last 8 games(i think) he didn't get a card. He also scored 10 goals.

Why would Moyes lie an say he ill, if he was under performing, he just wouldn't say anything. an tell Fell that he not trying hard enought. Personally i think he got SWINE FLU, everyone else has :P an it seems the new cool think to have if your famous.

#22 evertonusa

evertonusa

Daniel Amokachi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 09:52

Fellaini is sick. Lay off him. EW just doesn't like him so he's looking for any reason to bash on him and now apparently this is a cover up. He plays for Everton. Support him.

#23 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 10:06

Fellaini is sick. Lay off him. EW just doesn't like him so he's looking for any reason to bash on him and now apparently this is a cover up. He plays for Everton. Support him.

I think you will find I "bashed" on him long time ago and opinion has not changed, in fact got worse. Oh and I am not the only one, there are lots of people getting fed up with him.

He plays for Everton. Support him.

I will do what the fuck I like, when I like.

#24 exiled-in-kent

exiled-in-kent

Anders Limpar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 10:11

It baffles me how people can say Fellaini is no good. But... everyone is entitled to an opinion...

#25 Ian C

Ian C

100% Guaranteed Irish

• Members
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 11:03

The guy is type of player who scores goals against the run of play. Not out of technical excellence but just out of sheer height and positioning ability.

Without Fellaini it would've been a very different season last year.

And to those people who're saying this illness is a cover up. It's been mentioned in the run-up to 2 previous friendlies on EvertonTV. Not to mention the fact that everyone has been off their game this pre-season and they haven't been "covered up", however Fellaini is the only one who looks unfit.

Pretty ridiculous how some people are constantly saying Fellaini is shit. Fellaini isn't shit. Have you seen Hibbert? That's shit. Fellaini scored 10 goals last season in his debut season. From midfield.

How is that bad? O.o

Edited by Grarghsies, 04 Aug 2009 - 11:03.

#26 evertonusa

evertonusa

Daniel Amokachi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 15:56

Wow I say to support an Everton player and you react like that? That's not a good fan.

#27 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 Aug 2009 - 16:56

I really can't understand the flack players like Felliani, Jo and Yakubu still get to this day. Without all their goals and good play, we would have been up shites creek a long while ago. Felliani can be very frustrating to watch at times, but his play/goals against United and Bolton helped Everton achieve relative success last season.

Player's who should be blasted are Osman and Hibbert, I would have said Neville as well but he has responded excellently since Carsley left.

#28 craigb

craigb

King Louis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 Aug 2009 - 09:52

I really can't understand the flack players like Felliani, Jo and Yakubu still get to this day. Without all their goals and good play, we would have been up shites creek a long while ago. Felliani can be very frustrating to watch at times, but his play/goals against United and Bolton helped Everton achieve relative success last season.

Player's who should be blasted are Osman and Hibbert, I would have said Neville as well but he has responded excellently since Carsley left.

you know what your getting with neville though aswell, so that stands him in good stead.. likes of osman were you know hes capable of soo much more at times, but he fails to deliver, dnt get me started on hibbert! by the way i was unimpressed by the way he tried to run out of position with the ball, when euell was behind him for the second blackpool goal, that absolutly pissed me off!

#29 Tricky Trev

Tricky Trev

Alan Ball

• Members
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 06 Aug 2009 - 19:51

Just spoke to my mate today who is a prison officer where Tim Cahills brother has been staying before he got deported. Tim's brother reckons Felliani is desperate to leave!! He says Felliani is really home sick and wants to go back to Belguim. Lets face it he is 21 doesn't speak english and lives on his own on the Docks. Probably is harsh for a young lad maybe thats why we have gone for Defour to help the lad out?

#30 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 Aug 2009 - 20:54

Just spoke to my mate today who is a prison officer where Tim Cahills brother has been staying before he got deported. Tim's brother reckons Felliani is desperate to leave!! He says Felliani is really home sick and wants to go back to Belguim. Lets face it he is 21 doesn't speak english and lives on his own on the Docks. Probably is harsh for a young lad maybe thats why we have gone for Defour to help the lad out?

Lol, sorry too far fetched to me. Sounds like YOU want him to leave, and made that up just to get rumours going lol.

#31 Tricky Trev

Tricky Trev

Alan Ball

• Members
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 06 Aug 2009 - 21:13

Nah mate i rate Felliani big time and with another season under his belt he will be a player all the top clubs will be after and i have said this before on this site. As for the rumour, i'm a prison officer in another jail but my mate works in Risley were Cahills brother was a cleaner on his wing. Cahills brother went back to Australia today and thats what Tim has told him. I cant see why people slag Felliani as i have said he is young, had no time to settle and got threw into a struggling team in a new league. For his first season he was excellent.

#32 Blue4Ever

Blue4Ever

Peter Reid

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 Aug 2009 - 22:09

Nah mate i rate Felliani big time and with another season under his belt he will be a player all the top clubs will be after and i have said this before on this site. As for the rumour, i'm a prison officer in another jail but my mate works in Risley were Cahills brother was a cleaner on his wing. Cahills brother went back to Australia today and thats what Tim has told him. I cant see why people slag Felliani as i have said he is young, had no time to settle and got threw into a struggling team in a new league. For his first season he was excellent.

well said mate ;)

#33 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 Aug 2009 - 23:53

well said mate ;)

Dito!

#34 Lowensda

Lowensda

• Members
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 07 Aug 2009 - 00:20

well said mate ;)

Dito!

No EW about lads, you're ok ;)

#35 xavier

xavier

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 Aug 2009 - 20:13

I dont watch your team too often but i dont understand what Fellaini offers. He's good in the air and get his fair share of goals but doesnt read the game properly or isnt really an 'enforcer' in midfield despite his physique or creates enough to be played behind the striker/

He was bought on the last day of last season, so i thought i'd wait a while to ask this question. Do you rate him highly? He's still a kid though isnt he. Where do you think he should be playing cos i simply dont know. Its big enough when a club with more money buys a 15-20 million pounds player but when Everton spend big money, its easy to look at a player and wonder if he's worth it as its a bigger risk for ya'll.

Mods can simply close this thread if this discussion has taken place before, btw.

Edited by xavier, 16 Aug 2009 - 20:32.

#36 holystove

holystove

Art Vandelay

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 16 Aug 2009 - 23:39

I dont watch your team too often but i dont understand what Fellaini offers. He's good in the air and get his fair share of goals but doesnt read the game properly or isnt really an 'enforcer' in midfield despite his physique or creates enough to be played behind the striker/

He was bought on the last day of last season, so i thought i'd wait a while to ask this question. Do you rate him highly? He's still a kid though isnt he. Where do you think he should be playing cos i simply dont know. Its big enough when a club with more money buys a 15-20 million pounds player but when Everton spend big money, its easy to look at a player and wonder if he's worth it as its a bigger risk for ya'll.

Mods can simply close this thread if this discussion has taken place before, btw.

IF you want to factor in money I think this is the proper way to look at it:
Everton are paying for him in installments of about £4m per year. Was he worth 4m last year? Most definitely yes. This year he'll have to perform up to the standards of an £8m player etc.. until in year 4 he'll have to be worth £16m (or whatever the number is).. At least that's what I think Moyes was thinking when he bought a 20 year old.
Once again that is IF you want to look at the money side of it.

In no way is he now worth to total fee that eventually Everton will have paid for him, but that is obviously not the issue once he IS an Everton player. We should measure him by his production, effort, and every other standard that we measure Everton players by.

In my opinion : his production is good, his effort is sometimes lacking which can be very frustrating to watch, he has the potential to be a very influential player (see Wigan at home last year for example), he can compete at the highest level (I think he scored the highest total of MOTM votes against the big four last year)..
He does tend to have a couple of games per season that make you want to strangle him and if you focus on those (like some on this forum) you'll never see what his actual value is to the team.

He's 21 now, 21.

EDIT : was verifying his age on wikipedia and this sentence caught my eye : "After rejected advances from Manchester United[3] and following reported interest from Aston Villa,[4] Real Madrid, Tottenham and Bayern Munich,[5] Fellaini signed for Everton in September 2008" ... a LOT of scouts would have been wrong if this kid doesn't turn out to be a very decent premier league player in 5 years or so.

Edited by holystove, 16 Aug 2009 - 23:42.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users