64 replies to this topic

#41 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 13:57

apologies, youve been misquoted there. but arent nearly all clubs selling clubs?

as for the topic, i agree with ya, and if anyone can help him improve whilst keeping his feet on the ground at the same time, its Moyes. I would love Rodwell to be the blue Gerrard. Im very excited to see him play with a fit (and in form) Arteta...

No need to apologise my friend, your comments are sound and welcome.

Your assuming things again and pushing it as fact...... Moyes was obviously involved in these dicscussions and was out for the best he could get.....and he got a fantastic deal in the process.....

Obviously Moyes was involved in those discussions, but unless Moyes is a fantastic thespian then I genuinely believe that Moyes didn't want to sell until it was made apparent there was no funds to strengthen. Then afterward it was all about getting the best deal, which we did no doubt.

Edited by StevO, 06 Sep 2009 - 10:07.

#42 Matt

Matt

United we stand, divided we fall...

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,179 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 14:08

I think the truth lies in the middle. Arteta is such an important player for us, our whole team seem more in control of the ball when he is playing. He literally won games on his own, personally I never want to see him leave. However two seasons ago, some of our 'knowledgeable' fans were giving him untold stick, not caring that he was carrying two different injuries at the same time, yet was still trying for us. That spirit is what I like about him most, even Mikel said he could have left but stayed because this is home now. Anyway we still can win games without him, with Pienaar picking up his mantle, so in essence he can be replaced. But I would like anyone to provide names that will cost around 15 million (say that's the most we'll get for him), that will dictate games and be as loyal to the club thus far as Arteta? I've tried myself and it isn't easy, just look at Banera.

ok, thats pretty much what i was going for. But if Lescott was worth 24Mill then we shouldnt be accepting less than 30+ as previously mentioned, and therefore a replacement would be easier to find. Finding someone who turns out to be as loyal and hard working is another question....

#43 Tricky Trev

Tricky Trev

Alan Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 14:11

Moyes isnt daft and i think he was more than happy to sell Lescott for 24 million. He had and has been quoted many a time saying that they were interested in Bassong but at the time City were offering nowhere near as to what Moyes wanted for Lescott so Moyes was well aware that he would sell for the inflated price he did. Bottom line Moyes was playing the game and he did it very well in my opinion because the three players we got have really excited me. Moyes was never gonna let Lescott move quietly like Lescott himself said. But in my opinion he has bought Distyn who is on a par with Lescott which will allow Rodwell 2 to 3 years to develop his game until he can be put back into centre half if thats what Moyes is planning.

#44 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 14:15

But in my opinion he has bought Distyn who is on a par with Lescott which will allow Rodwell 2 to 3 years to develop his game until he can be put back into centre half if thats what Moyes is planning.

Think Rodwell will be far better served in midfield, I really do see him as another Peter Reid type player.

#45 chicagoblue

chicagoblue

Bubbles

• Members
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 14:45

If the shots he unleashed against Sigma were in any way indicative of his ability to strike a ball, then I think it would be a huge waste to leave him in defense.

#46 Matt

Matt

• Cyber Steward
  • 29,179 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 14:54

If the shots he unleashed against Sigma were in any way indicative of his ability to strike a ball, then I think it would be a huge waste to leave him in defense.

agreed, he should take a Carsley/Gerrard role in my opinion...

#47 craigb

craigb

King Louis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 15:08

the way hes performing in the centre now, y the hell would you wanna then drop him into the central defence role. He will be a midfield dynamo once all his best qualities shine permantely. I personally cannot wait for him as a player to grow, and hopefully stay a blue aswell!

#48 DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 15:15

agreed, he should take a Carsley/Gerrard role in my opinion...

Surely your not comparing the two? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#49 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 15:21

He has always been touted as a Centre Back but very rarely played the position, even for England he is in Midfield.
I very much doubt he will be moved back to defence otherwise he is missing out on a lot of experience as a CB.

#50 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 15:40

Carsley better............... at something.

#51 Matt

Matt

• Cyber Steward
  • 29,179 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 16:03

of course not! merely saying Jack could be a strong defensive power (like Cars) or someone who picks the ball up deep drives it forward (Gerrard). I would be happy if he followed either path!

#52 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 16:04

Rodders helped the U21's to another win this afternoon, set up the equaliser.

#53 Adpom

Adpom

Duncan Ferguson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 17:39

of course not! merely saying Jack could be a strong defensive power (like Cars) or someone who picks the ball up deep drives it forward (Gerrard). I would be happy if he followed either path!

I'd reather he became Gerrard then Carsley. as Gerrard is a match winner an a game turner, specially if he gets in double figures each season.

#54 Tricky Trev

Tricky Trev

Alan Ball

• Members
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2009 - 17:42

the way hes performing in the centre now, y the hell would you wanna then drop him into the central defence role.

I never stated i would put him there i am merely suggesting what Moyes has himself said that they feel he is a centre back.

#55 Matt

Matt

• Cyber Steward
  • 29,179 posts

Posted 05 Sep 2009 - 10:56

I'd reather he became Gerrard then Carsley. as Gerrard is a match winner an a game turner, specially if he gets in double figures each season.

i know what you mean mate, but for me another Carsley is very much needed. He broke up so many attacks and was a huge help to the defence. But i think he will go the Gerrard route, cant see him being as 'firm' as Cars was! Plus, the way he can strike the ball, he could be a match winner...

#56 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,026 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2009 - 10:05

Well done Kenwright for moving us to Finch Farm and creating a great youth system....am I allowed to give Kenwright praise or is this the Kenwright bashing thread in disguise? :lol: :lol:

im not trying to bash BK, but didnt the club buy the farm about ten years ago? couldnt build on it for a long time due to the ground in that area?

i wont go into BKs training techniques for the youth team, and his fitness regimes are second to none!

Jack played very well again for England.

Edited by StevO, 06 Sep 2009 - 10:08.

#57 CaptainFerguson10

CaptainFerguson10

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2009 - 12:21

i wont go into BKs training techniques for the youth team, and his fitness regimes are second to none!

Huh?

#58 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2009 - 12:44

Huh?

Irony.

#59 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2009 - 12:55

im not trying to bash BK, but didnt the club buy the farm about ten years ago? couldnt build on it for a long time due to the ground in that area?

Jack played very well again for England.

The land was acquired a long time ago but you still need to build on and get it right. Certainly something that has been realised under Kenwright - the 1st comment from any new signing usually involves Finch Farm.

With Stuart Pearce being such a fan of Rodwell and helping out on the full team, wonder how long it will be before Rodwell gets his full international debut?

#60 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,026 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2009 - 12:11

The land was acquired a long time ago but you still need to build on and get it right. Certainly something that has been realised under Kenwright - the 1st comment from any new signing usually involves Finch Farm.

With Stuart Pearce being such a fan of Rodwell and helping out on the full team, wonder how long it will be before Rodwell gets his full international debut?

fair enough, see you point. I believe moyes had a lot of say on final designs too. Not happy kw sold the place though.

I dont think hes good enough for a full cap yet though.

#61 Lowensda

Lowensda

A force to be reckoned with, I reckon

• Members
  • 14,817 posts

Posted 08 Sep 2009 - 12:45

fair enough, see you point. I believe moyes had a lot of say on final designs too. Not happy kw sold the place though.

I dont think hes good enough for a full cap yet though.

I agree but then again, look at Michael Mancienne or Walcott at the time. In a way, i could see him being in the provisonal squad. I watched the England U21's game yday on ESPN, Rodwell looked miles better than most on the pitch. His composure and technique on the ball was faultless. IMO he was better than Cattermole. Naughton looked ok aswell, git lol but 'WE'VE GOT A HEI-TING-A'!

#62 craigb

craigb

King Louis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 Sep 2009 - 14:03

I never stated i would put him there i am merely suggesting what Moyes has himself said that they feel he is a centre back.

sorry i never meant you, i know thats what moyes has said and i meant it towards his comments, the way hes starting to progress with his passing ability etc, as someone else said it would be wasted in central defence

#63 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 08 Sep 2009 - 19:26

He was subbed after less than an hour in Greece this afternoon....not injured I hope :unsure: .

#64 EFC-Paul

EFC-Paul

If you are going through hell....keep going

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 08 Sep 2009 - 21:48

He has all the attributes to go on and become a great player i do not want to get carried away over the lad as he has a long long way to go, As i've already said in another post and im sure most can see that he would be wasted playing at the back he has more about his game and i can see him if he carries on the way he is becoming a Gerrard/Lampard type player and that is the type of player every successful team needs and has a calmness about him that one day will hopefully see him becoming our central lynchpin.

One thing is for sure is that we have one very good prospect on our hands and im sure we will be fighting off bids for him in the next three years.

Edited by EFC-Paul, 08 Sep 2009 - 21:48.

#65 Adpom

Adpom

Duncan Ferguson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 Sep 2009 - 14:56

He's is easyly the best shot in midfield we have, an i imagine in the coming months as his confidances grows an his aim improves he could well get in to double figures for us. However i think he soon be a bit part players again, exspecially now we got a new CB meaning Neville goes in to midfield an the Yak being back. An the soon to be fit again Arteta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users