IGNORED

Aek Athens (Home)

Bill

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the Neville Lay-off, Heitinga cup tied and Hibbert suspended, its probably not science to suggest that Gosling will start at RB. But with our current lack steel in the middle, we really have to change something! My teams for AEK would be:

---------------Howard------------

--Gosling--Yobo--Distin--Baines

---------------Rodwell---------------

--Osman----Fellaini-----Pienaar--

--------Cahill-------Jo-----------

We need to add something in the middle. Personaly our tactics on Sunday were poor at best, and the lack of a presence was evident! AEK are technically very good, quick on the break and we really need to get in their faces, break up play and get them to make mistakes.

Im in Egypt on Thursday and will be trying to catch the game. I fear for a defeat atm and that would put us in spurs 08' territory, not good.

Come on Moyes, grow some balls, go all out we need this.

Edited by tenaciousj

Winning breeds confidence so we need to start winning fast. If it is in this competition then thats fine by me. Personally I hate to se us lose any game and doing so will knock us back further. Jusging by comments made on this thread and others, after yesterdays reversal, a common theme popping up is Moyes lack of adventure. I agree, especially when he comes out with comments when he first arrived (I know thats some years back), about providing a skilful, attacking minded team. To be honest I don't think that has materialised as aregular thing BUT hope springs eternal and just watch us crush the Greeks 5-0 and provide the springboard for our season :D

If Bily can play -- I have faith that we all know that, just being cautious -- then I agree. It becomes a toss-up between Osman and Felli in the midfield with Rodwell.

But.

What about two forwards together, like Jo and Saha or maybe the Yak involved if he is ready? Hopefully Saha will be over his hamstring problem for this game either way.

Edit: Actually, with Bily on the right then maybe we have more of a 4-3-3 with Bily and Pienaar in the winger positions. This could even help the midfield be a bit stronger??

Edited by Calico

Do you want to win and advance, or do you want to concentrate on our League position.

It wont be easy to break them down, AEK have played two won two and conceded no goals.

superleagueAEK.jpg

Thats a tricky one. I was all for us going out in the qualifiers to be honest because our squad wont be able to handle all the extra games. But I think we will be looking at mid table in the League now so on one hand I think we might as well have a good go at the Europa League because we wont be playing in it next year! and on the other Im worried a prolonged Europa League campaign could see us getting dragged into a relegation scrap

...and on the other Im worried a prolonged Europa League campaign could see us getting dragged into a relegation scrap

Do you not remember two years ago? Smaller, poorer squad and flew through the UEFA group/league games with a 13-2-2 record in nine weeks, losing only to ManU and Arsenal (after a patchy start in the league 13 points from the first ten games....I'm still hopeful we can match that start in the next few weeks).

Do you not remember two years ago? Smaller, poorer squad and flew through the UEFA group/league games with a 13-2-2 record in nine weeks, losing only to ManU and Arsenal (after a patchy start in the league 13 points from the first ten games....I'm still hopeful we can match that start in the next few weeks).

Different competition with far fewer games and nowhere near as many injuries!

Different competition with far fewer games and nowhere near as many injuries!

Four group games against six this time....not that much difference surely :mellow: ?

In fact between the start of the season and 31st December 2007 we played twenty-nine games; this year we're scheduled for twenty-eight though it could be twenty-nine or thirty in we progress in the Carling :) .

Four group games against six this time....not that much difference surely :mellow: ?

In fact between the start of the season and 31st December 2007 we played twenty-nine games; this year we're scheduled for twenty-eight though it could be twenty-nine or thirty in we progress in the Carling :) .

Potentially its an extra 7 games, totalling 15 games in all so yes I do think its too many extra games for a threadbare squad

We have to go all out for a win. Confidence is starting to suffer and we are not going to improve unless we start winning games.

Saying that, I have an awful feeling about this game. I want us to win, I hope we will win... but I fear we are going to be slaughtered. Not only by scoreline but by injuries and things. I am not calling AEK a nasty side. but I have seen them on TV and they don't take no prisoners.

...I fear we are going to be slaughtered.

The bookies (emotionally detached rich men not prone to giving away easy money) will give you 6-1 on an AEK win, so if anyone really expects us to lose they could invest a little cash on the Greeks and soften the blow of losing with a nice little windfall.

I'll not be bothering :) .

I want Bily to play left and Peanuts on right. ANd want also that Yak will start(of course just if hes 100% fit, he looked good last sunday) Nobody cant now complain about braking Bainesy and Peanuts, cause they havent actually found themselves this season so far, so it would be refreshing for all, and Bily and Peanuts would play on their better sides