IGNORED

Aek Athens (Home)

Bill

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Osman did was run down blind alleys, his crossing and dead ball kicks were poor, and his only plus was a shot wide. After your glee from the result, reflect and see that again he did nothing of note. Felliani is capable of much better.

5 :mellow: sorry but that is just raw fucking shite . Fellaini was one of the best players on that pitch today, He looked alot better defensively, won quite a few tackles, then in the second half I thought he dictated the tempo and stopped them from even creating any decent chances.

Edited by Blue4Ever

I thought Fellaini was very good as well. worked hard, very tidy, played ball round well, battled for the ball, layed off to others well. No complaints as far as i'm concerned, I'd give him an 8.

Saha's sending off, I didn't notice what made Saha lash out but you can't lash out no matter how minor a swing it is, the player made a huge issue of it which is a shame but he was stupid to lose his temper at that point in the game.

good performance all round I'd say. I thought Jo looked very poor in the first half but picked up a bit with second half with Yakubu though I didn't like seeing Yakubu far left all the time and would have prefered to see Jo taking that role in a 2 or 3 man strike force.

By far the best team performance yet this season, the way we passed the ball around for the first 30 minutes (on the deck!) had me wondering if this was the same team I had to suffer watching last Sunday. The long balls did creep in a bit more later in the match but by then it was all over. Impressed with Bily, lets hope his groin injury is minor because I want to see more of that. Saha should have known better than that at the end, I know the guy was niggling him but with his experience he should never have reacted that way.

cptn ferguson i would agree with most of your assessment of the match apart from fellaini and osman.

I probably would have gave osman 6 for his endeavour, he did skin there players more times than he lost the ball, ok his final ball wasnt the best, but he isnt a wide man, hes a central midfielder playing on the line so of course his final ball aint guna be the best.

Fellaini i thought showed the qualities last night that made moyes buy him from liege, he didnt relii attack he just sat deep like rodwell picking up the pieces, he slowed play down well which we needed with it bein a european match, and he passed it on, some of the balls he took out the air with great control was what i like seeing of felli. Maybe the pace of the prem bemuses him at times, but last night he done a fantastic job and was one of my motm's

We played some good football last night and if we carry on playing like that in both the League and Europe we will soon pick up pace, We looked a different side to the Fulham game far more balanced and composed and once we have Arteta and Jags and Yak back upto speed we will be a far better side then last season.

Howard Not a great deal to do.

Gosling He look comfortable at RB and although he was not going up against hugely talented players he did what needed to be done well.

Yobo Looked far more composed last night and seems to have a good understanding with Distin.

Distin Looks confident on the ball and very solid in what he does and seems to have slotted in very well.

Baines Great game again from Baines never stops grafting and caused them problem after problem down the flank quality display again!

Bilyaletdinov Early doors but im excited about this one he looks top notch on the little we've seen so far, Very good passer solid and direct with great feet and one hell of a left peg.

Rodwell Solid confident and composed again what more can you ask of him, Future star.

Cahill Good game whilst he was on never shyed away from a tackle ond broke play up well.

Fallaini Looked far more comfortable last night, played simple but direct football and linked well with Bily and Baines.

Pienaar Another tireless display, caused them problem after problem and sealed a great display with a great goal.

Jo Glad he got on the score sheet as he worked his socks off at times.

Do you guys think we looked alot more balanced, with Billy on the left and Pienaar on the right? i thought we seem to move the ball alround the pitch an look deadly from both sides, where normally its just the left.

Saha was stupid, may of been a tap on the guys face, an the guy made a meal of it, but you simple can't raise your hands. Also its a 1 match ban, Same as hibbert.

Howard - 6. Nothing to do really.

Gosling - 6. Steady, but again not really tested though he didn't provide a single cross into their box.

Distin - 7. Rock solid and nice goal.

Yobo - 8. MOTH. Proved me wrong about being captain material, very well played. A mature performance which I am not used to with Joey.

Baines - 8. Superb again, really great engine.

Pienaar - 8. Much, much better with the negative shackles off and being allowed to drift. Outstanding goal, let's hope he is fit for Sunday.

Rodwell - 7. Rock solid again, really become the star in the middle.

Cahill - 5. Didn't do a lot for me, silly booking was typical of his night.

Felliani - 5. Another player I was underwhelmed with, he better pick up soon or he'll be back in Liege.

Billy - 8. Outstanding performance, makes his admission last Sunday even more puzzling. Set up two goals, his crossing was Hinchcliffe like, and looked a real genuine threat down the left. I was drooling, and can't wait to see more of him.

Jo - 7. I'll give him seven as his goal is reward for the hard effort he has put in this season. His touches are a little poor at times, but his first real chance he took which is what you want from a striker.

Osman - 4. With the team 3 - 0 up, he still was out of his depth. An embarrassment!

Yakubu - 7. Ahh it was great to see him back, and without trying to sound like Alan Hansen: Pace, power, awareness, he has them all. Feed the Yak and he will score!

Saha - 6. Did well but hope Uefa over turn his red and ban that Juanfan for cheating!

Moyes - 8. Did a little adventure hurt? Now let's see if your ready to carry this on against Blackburn, which I sadly doubt!

Yobo wasnt the captain was he....... I thought Baines got that... thats what the announcer said anyway

Cahill, although he didnt do anything fantastic I thought he had a decent game... did alot more on the ball than usual and looked decent in posession....

Felliani had another decent game... deffo not worth less than a 6..... He looked better on the ball, tracked back & tackled well and helped with some good attacking play... still needs to spot things a bit quicker though..... can dwell on the ball a bit to much sometimes...

Osman... although I still dont like the guy... seemed to get that hes up for the chop & at least put the effort in.... did alot of running and was allways available for the pass.... Better than usual and 4 is a bit harsh......

Yak.... being on the pitch for roughly 20 -30 mins playing more or less on the left.... & you gave him a 7..... rose timted glasses maybe...... :lol: I was impressed also though with his comeback and glad to see him on the pitch causing problems again for opposition defences.

Moyes got his game plan spot on IMO.... It may have been forced but when was the last time we got to see three forwards on the pitch at Goodison :lol: The team looked balanced in the first half and hopefully we can push this on to Sunday......

Edited by DangerMouse

Howard - 6. Nothing to do really.

Gosling - 6. Steady, but again not really tested though he didn't provide a single cross into their box.

Distin - 7. Rock solid and nice goal.

Yobo - 8. MOTH. Proved me wrong about being captain material, very well played. A mature performance which I am not used to with Joey.

Baines - 8. Superb again, really great engine.

Pienaar - 8. Much, much better with the negative shackles off and being allowed to drift. Outstanding goal, let's hope he is fit for Sunday.

Rodwell - 7. Rock solid again, really become the star in the middle.

Cahill - 5. Didn't do a lot for me, silly booking was typical of his night.

Felliani - 5. Another player I was underwhelmed with, he better pick up soon or he'll be back in Liege.

Billy - 8. Outstanding performance, makes his admission last Sunday even more puzzling. Set up two goals, his crossing was Hinchcliffe like, and looked a real genuine threat down the left. I was drooling, and can't wait to see more of him.

Jo - 7. I'll give him seven as his goal is reward for the hard effort he has put in this season. His touches are a little poor at times, but his first real chance he took which is what you want from a striker.

Osman - 4. With the team 3 - 0 up, he still was out of his depth. An embarrassment!

Yakubu - 7. Ahh it was great to see him back, and without trying to sound like Alan Hansen: Pace, power, awareness, he has them all. Feed the Yak and he will score!

Saha - 6. Did well but hope Uefa over turn his red and ban that Juanfan for cheating!

Moyes - 8. Did a little adventure hurt? Now let's see if your ready to carry this on against Blackburn, which I sadly doubt!

Couldn't disagree with you more about Fellaini. I thought second half, although it wasn't much of a contest, he started to look like a proper player sat in the centre of the park - his touch was good, he was strong in the tackle, read the game well, picked out the passes, knew when to venture forward and drop back. The thing is, despite his 9 goals last season, he is NOT an auxiliary striker or in-the-hole attacking midfielder - he's a centre mid player, and if he's ever gonna look like he's worth £15m, he needs to play there, pushing him up all the time isn't going to help him develop. I actually thought him and Rodwell showed hints they could be a good partnership in the middle, they've both got good physical presence, can pass a ball, can tackle and get up the other end and cause problems. They're just lacking experience I reckon - Felli is still a kid himself, remember.

As for Bily - Hinchcliffe?! I was thinking Sheedy myself... Agree his left foot looked awesome, but I reckon it'll be a while before we see the best of him in the Prem - he certainly wasn't in physical shape to do all the running and back tracking Moyes demands, and if he found the pace of this game a challenge to keep up with, he's gonna have a hell of a shock in the league. Give him a few weeks to work on his fitness and play as sub a few times, then let's see what he can do

Well that was a breeze last night. I expected a lot more from AEK tbh but you've still got to beat what's infront of you and we've struggled in the past to put crap teams away, so last night's performance was very pleasing. I loved every minute of that game because the hoofing was down to pretty much nothing and we passed along the ground. Not only that but we were patient with the ball too and instead of it being aimless passing for the sake of it there was penetration too and we looked threatening. Obviously some players impressed more than others but I can't think of any of the starters that had a bad game. Hopefully that will give us confidence for thr weekend and we can do the same to another poor side in Blackburn.

Oh and Saha's ban will be for 3 games because it's for violent conduct.

Howard - He must have been freezing his nonsense off because he had nothing to do.

Gosling - I'm not a fan of Gosling but he showed the benefit of having a right-back who can actually play football. His link-up play with Pienaar was superb and it was nice to see us attacking down both sides of the pitch for a change.

Yobo - Only hoofed the ball a couple of times and put in a very solid display. I didn't want him as captain but he did actually talk to is defence last night so I hope that's how it'll stay. Nice to see him score as well.

Distin - Wants too much time on the ball sometimes and puts himself under needless pressure but he had a solid game just like Yobo. Their partnership seems to be shaping up well. Also got his first goal for us and goals from defence are going to be needed of Lescott leaving.

Baines - Looked like the Baines of last season again, and showed that it's not just Pienaar he links up well with because him and Bily worked excellently together.

Pienaar - Typical Pienaar performance; worked his arse off for the side and was always a threat going forward for us. What a clean strike for his goal as well, it was a peach.

Rodwell - It's scary just how good this boy looks in Europe. I don't remember him putting a foot wrong all game tbh. His passing range is just immense and he's got a great engine on him, he just seems to glide around the pitch and everything seems so effortless to him.

Cahill - As I've said in another thread, Cahill can play a proper midfield role in Europe and I thought he had a decent game last night, nothing stand-out but he did his job without too much bother.

Bilyaletdinov - I'm loving Bily already if I'm honest, he is such an improvement on Osman it's unbelievable. He seems to be as quick of mind as Osman but is quicker than Osman for actually being able to put that into action just as quick too. He can cross too! I hope his injury isn't too bad so we can see him do the same against Blackburn.

Fellaini - I thought he was fucking brilliant. I've been on his back lately but that was a faultless performance IMO. It may have been poor opposition but he dominated the game in my eyes, and showed signs that he could actually play the defensive midfield that he was originally bought for - he broke up play with absolute ease, and for the majority of the game he was quick to get the ball moving. My MOTM.

Jo - I'm glad he got a goal because I think we all know Jo is a confidence player. He may not have been one of our better players last night and was a bit sloppy at times but he really worked hard last night.

Well that was a breeze last night. I expected a lot more from AEK tbh but you've still got to beat what's infront of you and we've struggled in the past to put crap teams away, so last night's performance was very pleasing. I loved every minute of that game because the hoofing was down to pretty much nothing and we passed along the ground. Not only that but we were patient with the ball too and instead of it being aimless passing for the sake of it there was penetration too and we looked threatening. Obviously some players impressed more than others but I can't think of any of the starters that had a bad game. Hopefully that will give us confidence for thr weekend and we can do the same to another poor side in Blackburn.

Howard - He must have been freezing his nonsense off because he had nothing to do.

Gosling - I'm not a fan of Gosling but he showed the benefit of having a right-back who can actually play football. His link-up play with Pienaar was superb and it was nice to see us attacking down both sides of the pitch for a change.

Yobo - Only hoofed the ball a couple of times and put in a very solid display. I didn't want him as captain but he did actually talk to is defence last night so I hope that's how it'll stay. Nice to see him score as well.

Distin - Wants too much time on the ball sometimes and puts himself under needless pressure but he had a solid game just like Yobo. Their partnership seems to be shaping up well. Also got his first goal for us and goals from defence are going to be needed of Lescott leaving.

Baines - Looked like the Baines of last season again, and showed that it's not just Pienaar he links up well with because him and Bily worked excellently together.

Pienaar - Typical Pienaar performance; worked his arse off for the side and was always a threat going forward for us. What a clean strike for his goal as well, it was a peach.

Rodwell - It's scary just how good this boy looks in Europe. I don't remember him putting a foot wrong all game tbh. His passing range is just immense and he's got a great engine on him, he just seems to glide around the pitch and everything seems so effortless to him.

Cahill - As I've said in another thread, Cahill can play a proper midfield role in Europe and I thought he had a decent game last night, nothing stand-out but he did his job without too much bother.

Bilyaletdinov - I'm loving Bily already if I'm honest, he is such an improvement on Osman it's unbelievable. He seems to be as quick of mind as Osman but is quicker than Osman for actually being able to put that into action just as quick too. He can cross too! I hope his injury isn't too bad so we can see him do the same against Blackburn.

Fellaini - I thought he was fucking brilliant. I've been on his back lately but that was a faultless performance IMO. It may have been poor opposition but he dominated the game in my eyes, and showed signs that he could actually play the defensive midfield that he was originally bought for - he broke up play with absolute ease, and for the majority of the game he was quick to get the ball moving. My MOTM.

Jo - I'm glad he got a goal because I think we all know Jo is a confidence player. He may not have been one of our better players last night and was a bit sloppy at times but he really worked hard last night.

excellent assessment, i couldnt disagree with anything you said!

You can slate me all you like for my hate of saha, I will never get what he brings to the team he may have scored some goals this season but as far as I can see he is not a team player. He had been on the pitch about 5 minutes and he is very experienced yet he does not have the intelligence not to slap soeone in the face.

As other people have said how can we appeal when it states in the rule book you touch someone in the face your off.

Jo has started the last few games and although he has been rubbish it is only a matter of time before yak is back full time and then saha will move to his rightful position of 3rd choice injury prone tool.

After slating the team after the match against Fulham, i felt i had to come on here and say how pleased i was of the boys. Every single person on the field gave it their all. I was watching the match in the Scream bar in town and the win gave me an excuse to go out and enjoy myself :).

One final note, Billy's corners :heart:

Edited by Jay Bernard

Agree with 99% of this, just like to add that we looked a much less dominant team without Cahill in midfield. I think we underestimate the amount of goal kicks and hoofballs he cuts out when in midfield. In addition to that his strength meant it was almost Carsley-eqsue how understated his performance was. Also I think it was his decoy run that opened Yobo up for our first if I'm not mistaken.

Jo for me gives us a certain industry that we don't get from Yakubu or Saha really. He's always showing for the ball, he might not be running off the last defender's shoulder to get one on one but he really helps link up our play.