4 Man City 62

---------------------

5 Tottenham 61

6 Liverpool 56

---------------------

7 Aston Villa 55

---------------------

8 Everton 54

Looking at that table it would look as if we need to catch Villa. However, Villa have 2 games in hand on us and 1 game in hand on Liverpool. So it seems we will be battling with Liverpool for 7th.

The run-ins:

Aston Villa: Portsmouth (a), Hull (a), Birmingham (h), Man City (a), Blackburn (h)

Liverpool: West Ham (h), Burnley (a), Chelsea (h), Hull (a)

Everton: Fulham (h), Stoke (a), Pompey (h)

So how do you think the race for Europe will pan out? Do you fancy us nicking it? Or do you feel that a season outside of Europe will be good for us?

i fancy catchin villa more than liverpool despite the games in hand as villa always finish seasons poor...portsmouth have no fear in the play now and will just play with no pressure and could get a result..hull and city away are tough games and also the home derby who knows what can happen? liverpool though if they lose 2 of those games and we win all ours then we finish above them and i can see chelsea winning against them and the burnley and hull games are they kind liverpool mess up

we have to win all 3 now i think that much is obvious and if we do we have every chance i reckon

I reckon,

Aston Villa: Portsmouth (a)Villa, Hull (a)Villa, Birmingham (h)Draw, Man City (a)City, Blackburn (h)Draw - That gives Villa 8 points

Liverpool: West Ham (h), Burnley (a), Chelsea (h), Hull (a) 3 Wins, Lose to Chelsea:- 9pts

Everton: Fulham (h), Stoke (a), Pompey (h)We have to get 9 points, no matter what

That equals

Liverpool:56+9=65

Villa:55+8 =63

Everton:54+9=63

It'll go down to goal difference. Considering we're likely to win our games be only 1 goal(given we're leaking so many), and Villa 3 ahead, I'd give it to Villa - depending on how many they lose to City by ;P

However, to look at it a slightly different way. Liverpool need 8pts from 4 games and Villa need 9 from 5. Either way, it could be close, but we've got to rely on other people dropping points, and that's not really the position to be in.

Edited by wallwriter

the 3 games before today cost us a place in Europe, throwing away leads at West Ham and Villa and not taking the spoils from Wolves. We would have finished 6th had it not been for these games. Still, not a bad season, had this been offered at Christmas I'd have been made up

Edited by blueblood

the 3 games before today cost us a place in Europe, throwing away leads at West Ham and Villa and not taking the spoils from Wolves. We would have finished 6th had it not been for these games. Still, not a bad season, had this been offered at Christmas I'd have been made up

Exactly....Boxing Day we were two points off the relegation places....sixteen points behind Villa, eleven behind Liverpool, ten behind Birmingham and eight behind Fulham.

Think we need to look much further back for when our Europa hopes faded....in fact we need to take the season as a whole.

Having said that if we get 63 points we'll be very unlucky not to qualify, it was enough for us to get fifth last year, we got 65 in 07/08 for fifth and 58 was enough for sixth the previous year. We only got 61 in our fourth place finish in 05.

I still think three wins will be enough.

realistic*

The reality is that Villa have been averaging 1.4 points a game since Christmas (they've only picked up twenty-one points in fifteen games). If they carry on like that they'll end up with 62 points....three wins and we have 63. No problem B) .

Liverpool have three games left against teams fighting relegation, two of them away, plus Chelsea at home (which perversely they'll probably win). Not beyond the realms of possibility we could catch them also :) .

We do need the three wins though :unsure: .

Guest rusty747

Playing devils advocate here - Do we really want Villa to lose to Pompey. If Pompey successfully win a Europa Cup place on the back of their FA Cup Final appearance then only the top 6 in the PL will qualify for Europe. Who would you rather have the last place - Villa or the RS? Or can we catch both of them???

I think the shite and aston vile will still drop points on their respective run-ins so it's up to us to get 9 points - I'd say we'll get 6 no probs with fulham/pompy minds elsewhere, stoke will be tough - whether it'll be enough we will see. I for one will remain optimistic until it's mathematically impossible and even then I'll prey for point deductions of all teams ahead of us! COYB's!

I don't even want to think Europe is still a possibility because every time the team have given us a glimmer of hope they've snuffed it out again in the very next game! :lol:

Thats one of the Everton trends...booo!

I love the optomisim but we will finish 8th!

Said that from the start. :)

dont want europa next year while its nice to be in it doesnt generate any cash....i want us to go for top 4 and both domestic cups...i fancy another wembley trip.

I have a similar view, will help to keep the players fresher for the league and just think where we could have been if it wasnt for our start?? <_<

Torres has had knee surgery so he's out for the rest of the season, so that means we have a better chance of catching them.

This is most likely, Villa i feel are just a touch out of reach after ydays result.

I think Villa will drop points to Birmingham and City. I think Pool will drop a lot of points without Torres. They just have not been a good team without him. I think 6th is still there for us to fight for.

Lol If we finish 6th I will pay for all your ale for the rest of your life!

I reckon we will draw at Stoke and win the 2 home games but even if we did take all 9 pts we would still be well off

Europe was gone as soon as we drew against Wolves and West Ham. I still think it has been a good season for us considering all the injuries and the start we had

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

That results killed any hopes booo....

Yeah, that and Villa's late goal on Sunday have made it look far less likely....got to keep winning to keep the pressure on though.

If we don't make it the mindset has to be to look at how Spurs and City have done this year after missing out on Europe and to try and match (or beat) that in 10/11.