IGNORED

"baz" Rathbone Quits Everton

Maybe he feels he's too old and just wants to get away from football?

after the last 2-3 years who can blame him! Mustve been the busiest physio in the EPL!

all the best to him going forward though, just hope we can find someone else to fill his shoes!

Have to say that from the nature of the statement my impression is that he's been sacked. Not because of recurring injuries, don't think he can be held responsible for those, but I suspect there's been an argument/incident of some kind.

Maybe the club have decided he's pretty shit at judging how long players will be out, Pienaar was only supposed to be out for 2 weeks and it turned into something like 8 weeks didn't it? Not to mention he let Gosling play on with a ruptured ligament against Wolves. That can't have gone down too well :unsure:.

Maybe the club have decided he's pretty shit at judging how long players will be out, Pienaar was only supposed to be out for 2 weeks and it turned into something like 8 weeks didn't it? Not to mention he let Gosling play on with a ruptured ligament against Wolves. That can't have gone down too well :unsure:.

wasn't the gosling thing more moyes than rathbone? pretty sure moyes said you have to stay on so we can try and win

Jagielka, Arteta etc all seemed to have problems during their rehabilitation were knees got infected etc so maybe Moyes thinks mistakes were made. Our injury record over the last couple of seasons has been abysmal, maybe Moyes thinks it wasn't all due to bad luck.

i just remember gosling wantin to come off at the side and moyes wouldnt let him..both at fault i think but no way it was fully rathbones fault

If Rathbone had said it looks like his knee is really bad I don't believe for a second that Moyes would have asked Gosling to carry on. So from that I can only assume that our Head of Sports Science didn't think it was a bad injury, and that doesn't look good does it?

depends he is a glaswegian after all so that was like a knee scrape to him :lol:

nah i see what you're sayin but i'm not sure that was all down to him although we can't know what went on there..as for the arteta injury having problems wasn't that due to the surgery and an infection cos of that? might be wrong i usually am :lol:

depends he is a glaswegian after all so that was like a knee scrape to him :lol:

nah i see what you're sayin but i'm not sure that was all down to him although we can't know what went on there..as for the arteta injury having problems wasn't that due to the surgery and an infection cos of that? might be wrong i usually am :lol:

most of Arteta's rehab was done by his own people in Spain, not by Evertons medical staff.

EVERTON’S recently departed physio, Mick Rathbone, is nicknamed Baz. You don’t need a briar pipe or a deerstalker to work out why.

Basil Rathbone, of course, was the star of countless Sherlock Holmes movies in the 1930s and 40s – but you didn’t need acute powers of deduction to work out why modern day Baz and the Blues parted company this week.

Rathbone’s reputation throughout his eight years at Everton has been glowing.

A learned and talented physio, his offbeat but engaging personality also endeared him to all at Finch Farm.

But during the past 12 months Phil Jagielka, Mikel Arteta, Victor Anichebe and Phil Neville have all suffered severe setbacks to serious injuries.

And for a club with resources as tight as Everton, that’s a serious problem.

Sadly for Baz, the buck stopped at the Head of Sports Medicine.

Outsiders could argue that Rathbone was unlucky. Certainly the Blues have picked up more serious injuries on the pitch in the last 12 months than at any time in the last 20 years.

But Moyes’ reaction was telling.

For a man about to embark upon his ninth full season as Everton manager, his ambition, his drive and his desire to improve still burns as brightly as ever.

The decision to part company with his physio was a ruthless one.

Especially when you consider Moyes and Rathbone go back a long way – more than a decade, in fact, to their time together as younger men driving Preston North End towards the Premier League.

But Moyes’ desire to drive Everton higher and higher knows no bounds.

The perfunctory two-paragraph statement which announced Rathbone’s departure from the club was perhaps a little underwhelming.

“I would like to personally thank Mick for the contribution he has made to Everton since his arrival in 2002.

“He has played an important role behind the scenes for the past eight seasons since joining us from Preston, and I would like to take this opportunity to wish him all the very best.”

But you got the impression Moyes was already looking forward, not back.

Ironically, on the very day Rathbone’s departure was announced, a positive fitness bulletin was filed on Marouane Fellaini’s return.

Sadly, too late to influence Baz’s future.

Mick Rathbone’s departure from Finch Farm was hugely disappointing.

An impressive and likeable individual, I certainly wish him well in his future career.

But David Moyes can certainly never be accused of giving ‘jobs to the boys’ – and his burning desire to make Everton as successful as he possibly can is still as strong as ever.

From the Echo today. Sounds like he was sacked rather than he left....

Edited by galacticaracnid

Echo is out of order, don't assume the reasons he has left. A top man, well respected. During his tenure he ensured we didn't blow millions on crocked players - Forsell anyone. When the Yak scored his return goal he was the man he went straight up to and celebrated, look at our injury problems, Jags, Mikel, Tim, Yak, Victor, all came back from potential career enders. Prentice wants to take stock of what he has written, so much risk involved to assume what has happened, physios don't get much publicity, so when it is negative after such a long tenure then don't be surprised if Moyes vents his fury and the Echo lose out.

Echo is out of order, don't assume the reasons he has left. A top man, well respected. During his tenure he ensured we didn't blow millions on crocked players - Forsell anyone. When the Yak scored his return goal he was the man he went straight up to and celebrated, look at our injury problems, Jags, Mikel, Tim, Yak, Victor, all came back from potential career enders. Prentice wants to take stock of what he has written, so much risk involved to assume what has happened, physios don't get much publicity, so when it is negative after such a long tenure then don't be surprised if Moyes vents his fury and the Echo lose out.

yeah but they all developed complications during their recovery as well, which was the whole point of Prentice's article. He's been in the blue camp for years, Prentice knows what goes on and I think he knows most of the inside information rather than guessing it.