IGNORED

Top five football memories

What are your top 5 football memories?

Mine are:

1.  Being at Goodison when we had the record crowd (over 78,000) in 1949.

2.  Being introduced to Bill Shankly (when he was manager at Huddersfield Town) who then introduced me to a young Denis Law.

3.  Being presented with a bottle of champagne by Bobby Moore.

4.  Playing against Don Revie.

5.  Scoring both goals in a 2 - 1 win over Farsley Celtic in the West Riding Senior  Cup Final (1961).

1. Playing at Goodison with my dad, and watching him score a 25yd curler

2. First game with my season ticket, 3-0 win over Newcastle I think but all I really remember is the crowd when we started

3. Watching us win 7-1 against Southampton. Speed got a hattrick, Kanchelskis should've done too

4. Ossies goal against Larissa

5. Breaking my hip in a 5 a side game with 3 mins to go. Game was abandoned with us losing by 2 goals, and we won the replay and the team got to the semi finals

Like John i have so many good memories it's difficult for me to name any in order of preference.

The top one is obviously the 66 F A cup final, the midnight train from Lime street, singing and drinking all the way down getting to Lyons in London for a cup final breakfast. 

Off for a stroll around the smoke calling in for a drink in  lots of the pubs, the walk down Wembley Way towards the ground was mind blowing.

Then  the kick off to a game of two halves, disappointed at half time to be behind after playing quite well but the second half was like a fairy tale come true.  No need to say any more because we all know how the game finished.

Midnight train back to Lime Street in ecstasy, that 24 hours of my life is embedded in my brain and will never be forgotten.

Off the top of my head (just going on games that I was at)-

1984 Cup Final; said (probably many times) before that I didn't know I had a ticket until the night before the game. What a day!

Merseyside Charity Shields in the mid eighties; best part of 100,000 people singing, "Are you watching Manchester?"

Josh's first ever game at Bristol City in the league cup when he was eight. Two up at half time and he's thinking , "this is easy"; City get two back (he's thinking. "what?"); it goes to pens and we miss the first one and he burst into tears. Fortunately we came back to win. I thought, "Welcome to the roller coaster":lol:.

James McFadden's superb last second winner v Charlton in 2007.

Scoring all four in a 4-1 win when I was about twelve; don't remember the opposition.

1. Everton against united under the lights, best atmosphere I've ever experienced, could feel the buzz before I even got into the ground.

http://www.skysports.com/football/everton-vs-man-utd/59906

2. Watched history get made after convincing my mate to not leave early as we'd score. The "remember the name" goal. 

3. Rhino sitting in the Gladys Street End. 

4. Not a great one, McAllister 40 yarder. You could see a goal coming as soon as that fk was given. Didn't think it'd be direct though! 

5. The Fellaini masterclass against City. 

1. My first ever goal for my primary school team - against Calstock at home. The pitch was up-hill (think Yeovil's old pitch but worse), and the ball barely made it over the line.

2. Scoring the winning goal (against Derby) when our little Cornish team played in U-14 finals in London. All the opponents kept asking: "you're from WHERE?" :)

3. Forgive me for this one! My oldest son is a gifted player, and as a teen his favourite player was Michael Owen. On a business trip to Russia, I flew back via Britain, flew him from Atlanta to Manchester, and we drove to Anfield to watch Michael Owen score (against Charlton) right in front of us. It was the first time my son had seen a professional game, and he was overjoyed. That night, we had a massive pillow fight in the hotel room with feathers flying everywhere.

4. Watching that same son score a hat-trick for his high school team, meaning they went through to the state finals for the first time ever.

5. Watching the 1968 FA Cup final on my aunt's TV. It was the first time I remember seeing a football game live, although it was a heart-breaker. Jeff Astle won it for West Brom over Everton.

On 10/2/2017 at 18:25, Matt said:

1. Playing at Goodison with my dad, and watching him score a 25yd curler

2. First game with my season ticket, 3-0 win over Newcastle I think but all I really remember is the crowd when we started

3. Watching us win 7-1 against Southampton. Speed got a hattrick, Kanchelskis should've done too

4. Ossies goal against Larissa

5. Breaking my hip in a 5 a side game with 3 mins to go. Game was abandoned with us losing by 2 goals, and we won the replay and the team got to the semi finals

Matt,  your no. 1 is awesome.  I never played with my dad but played once, in a proper comepetitive game, with my eldest son.  He was 15 and I was 40.

I was turning out for the works team on Sunday morning. We were one short, so I dragged my lad out of bed to make up the numbers.  He played on the wing!

30 minutes ago, johnh said:

Matt,  your no. 1 is awesome.  I never played with my dad but played once, in a proper comepetitive game, with my eldest son.  He was 15 and I was 40.

I was turning out for the works team on Sunday morning. We were one short, so I dragged my lad out of bed to make up the numbers.  He played on the wing!

Bit different John but I remember a few occasions when I went to watch my big bro play as a teenager and they were short so I got co-opted and put on a shirt six times too big; got battered but always got up:P

1.  Bayern game.

2.  Pint's with Brian Labone.

3 Pints with Mick Lyons and Mike Pejic.

4. Talking with Andy King outside a brothel.

5. My first ever game with heavy snow everywhere.

edit:  honorary mention for french footballer Luis Galvan who kicked me all over the pitch once, but I still scored.

Bayern semi

Rotterdam

95cup final

beating United 5-0 at Goodison

beating Arsenal 6-1 at Goodison

Worst

Liverpool cup final 3-1

Liverpoolcup final 3-2

Liverpool semi 2-1

Everton 0 Liverpool 5 at Goodison (Rush 4)

United semi 2-1 (for my 2 lads who were distraught)

speaks volumes how 4 of the 5 worst are against Liverpool- they always seem to overshadow us.

5. Winning a penno shootout at anfield out of 20 odd people..... wearing an Everton shirt and kissing the badge in front of their stewards. All caught on DVD. 

4. Scoring a 25 yard screamer when we were pegged back 2-1 against bitter rivals.  Hit it that hard that the keeper had a black wrist for days where it hit him.  Have never hit a ball as sweet.... rock solid mitre multiplex on a cold day.  Felt sorry for him.

3.  Graham sharps header against QPR to win league in 85.

2.  Derek mountfields last minute equaliser in the fa cup.

1.  First visit to goodison.... 5-0 vs forest in 84

On 02/10/2017 at 16:59, johnh said:

What are your top 5 football memories?

Mine are:

1.  Being at Goodison when we had the record crowd (over 78,000) in 1949.

2.  Being introduced to Bill Shankly (when he was manager at Huddersfield Town) who then introduced me to a young Denis Law.

3.  Being presented with a bottle of champagne by Bobby Moore.

4.  Playing against Don Revie.

5.  Scoring both goals in a 2 - 1 win over Farsley Celtic in the West Riding Senior  Cup Final (1961).

Re no.5.  Can't remember if I have ever posted the link before but if you Google East End Park FC, one of the selections is 'Ground - East End Park FC'  If you select that and scroll down, you will come across a photo of me scoring the winning goal 6 minutes from time.

Going to have to get in the attic and find my old press cuttings from table tennis days. Best one is from a Surrey pairs tournament; went on for a week-end and each round was singles against each member of the opposition followed by a doubles game; each match was over two games (no decider if it was one game all) so each round you played six games. At the end all points were tallied up and whoever had the most won (obviously). I was playing with my brother. When the local press cameraman turned up on Sunday afternoon he chatted to the organisers and then went and took loads of shots of the pair who'd won it the previous three seasons and were shoe ins to win it again; until me and my bro absolutely spanked them in the semi final:P. We then won the final. Cameraman had long gone.

So when the report came out in the paper it had a picture of the defending champions and under the headline "Having a smashing time" started (something like) "Defending champions x & x in action at the week-end but they were soundly beaten in the semi final by brothers Mike and Robin Oldfield who went on to take the title."

Loved that:lol:.

I've no doubt in my mind he could've gone on to a very high level given then chance. Brilliant balance, 2 footed (that was his weaker foot, not bad for a 58 year old with no knees!) and a terrier back in his day. Only 5'5 but would combat with the biggest and dirtiest. One of the best players I've ever seen, bias is being ignored ;)

4 hours ago, johnh said:

No chance I would have played against him Matt.  When I hung my boots up your Dad was only 17!:D

What teams did he play for?

Can't remember really, he played Sunday league by the time I started watching him on Saturdays (never understood that). S&A or SmA (not sure which) was one but not sure. Nearly 20 years ago now, and I struggle to remember last week :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Carsleys goal in the derby

first Everton game live and Lineker got four.

The buzz around England in euro 96

watching dunc strangle Stefan fruend

Watching the emergence of Rooney. The goal at Leeds, watching him against Bolton at home as a sixteen year old against the centre back with the crazy hair who played for real. He took the piss out of him all game and you could tell he didn’t know what had happened. His debut against spurs, I was there. He was head an d shoulders the best player on the pitch.