IGNORED

Fiorentina (home) 2nd Leg

Bill

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bothered really, hope we win of course but wont be too disappointed if we go out. The players are begiining to look a bit ragged and i prefer to get 4th place. :)

I feel similarly, although I'd love us to put on a performance. 4th place is still a big ask (and there is always the possibility Liverpool will win the CL) so I think we need to give this our best shot. We've had an excellent season and the UEFA is just a lovely bonus to our league form now, if the players can see it as a bonus, rather than getting all nervous, then hopefully they can go out, relax and put a performance in and see what happens. I just hope that we put on a show and prove that we are a good team, if we still go out then so be it, but I'd like us to make it a rip roaring cup tie and hopefully turn the match around.

Were not out of it yet and I believe with the right atmosphere the team can pull out a performance fully deserving of the occaision. If we are to exit lets do it on a high.

Come on you blue boys.

Also looking forward to next seasons qualification, I see England are still top of the fair play league. However I don't know wether the place would go to league position or fair play league winners. If anyone knows how these things work I'd be grateful if you could share that info.

The team that is highest in the fair play league and not qualified by any other criteria gets the place. Position in the league is irrelevant. Could be Derby, currently it's us (assuming Liverpool qualify elsewhere, and if they don't we won't need the fair play place anyway :) ).

Can't wait for this now! I think i'm on row e in the glwadys or something like that... my dad sorted the tickets for this one though so i could be wrong.

Anyway, I reckon 3-0 is the only scoreline I can hope for because i can't see us scoring any more than that and i think if they score at any point it will all be over.

3-0 to the blues,

Pienaar, Yakubu and Lescott

COYB!

Carsley was always going to come back in and Nev will probably move to RB, barring injuries. Carsley has been consistently excellent all season, bar a couple of games and is in the running (again) for our player of the season. It wasn't just when Cahill returned that Everton's season transformed, it was also when Carsley came back into the team after being ridiculously dropped for Jagielka. If we concede tomorrow then it's basically all over, with Carsley in the team there's a lot less chance of that happening.

Carsley was always going to come back in and Nev will probably move to RB, barring injuries. Carsley has been consistently excellent all season, bar a couple of games and is in the running (again) for our player of the season. It wasn't just when Cahill returned that Everton's season transformed, it was also when Carsley came back into the team after being ridiculously dropped for Jagielka. If we concede tomorrow then it's basically all over, with Carsley in the team there's a lot less chance of that happening.

Was Carsley absent in the first leg when we conceded two goals then?

Every one of them was absent in the first leg (keeper excepted).

Im not denying that Mike, but to suggest Fiorentina will find it harder to score because Cars will be playing is laughable. He (and others) were a joke in the first leg and provided no cover for the defence, which is infact Cars' primary role in our team.

Im not denying that Mike, but to suggest Fiorentina will find it harder to score because Cars will be playing is laughable. He (and others) were a joke in the first leg and provided no cover for the defence, which is infact Cars' primary role in our team.

to be honest, the only thing laughable is to suggest that Everton aren't harder to score against with Carsley in the team. He's proven it over the last 3 seasons in a 451, yes he had a bad night the other night (though he wasn't the worst player on the pitch) but having one bad night doesn't all of a sudden mean he doesn't deserve to play and that his contribution should be based on that one performance, otherwise apart from Howard, the whole team should be dropped. The defence didn't show up the other night, Lescott, Yobo and Jags were abysmal and played far worse than Carsley, that's not Carsley's fault. As for Everton's passing and creativity (of which there was none) that isn't his game, so he can't be blamed for that. Carsley is an exceptional defensive midfielder in a 451, that's the bottom line and he's proven it all season to anyone who watches. In a 442 he is limited, but unfortunately so is everyone else in our midfield, without him or Neville in CM we'd be left with the lightest weight midget midfield in Europe and we'd be caned. We need goals, but we also need a modicum of sense and not some gung-ho ridiculous mentality that will end up getting us embarrassed.

Carsley deserves to play ahead of nearly anyone in our squad, to say he doesn't is a total injustice and quite frankly insulting to the guy who has contributed so much to our season. Who would you rather play in midfield, Fernandez the joker?

Im Not saying i would Drop Cars, but i certianly think Fernandes passing would benefit us alot more than Carsleys hoof the fucker up the pitch, but Cars gives defence a bit of cover and i doubt Manny will give the same cover, but theirs no point of coming out in defenseive mode.

if Osman and Fernandes arn't fit i think it will be a 4-4-2, but otherwise i think it will be a 4-5-1 until half time then a 4-4-2 after then.

Im Not saying i would Drop Cars, but i certianly think Fernandes passing would benefit us alot more than Carsleys hoof the fucker up the pitch, but Cars gives defence a bit of cover and i doubt Manny will give the same cover, but theirs no point of coming out in defenseive mode.

if Osman and Fernandes arn't fit i think it will be a 4-4-2, but otherwise i think it will be a 4-5-1 until half time then a 4-4-2 after then.

Seriously, I can see the whole Fernandez passing thing, but COME ON, he's been a total absolute 100% joke, to say he should be considered to play ahead of one of our players of the season (up there with Yobo, Yakubu and Lescott for me) is just madness. Fernandez is an own goal waiting to happen, he constantly gets caught in posession, gives the ball away 60% of the time and is lazy. He shouldn't get near the team, barring injuries, until he proves he deserves a game. Yes we need to score 2 goals, but we have the players (Arteta, Pienaar, Yakubu, Cahill) who can get the goals, without Carsley unless you play the vastly inferior Neville in CM, you have absolutely no one who can protect the defence, no one with any stature (I'm obviously not including Fernandez here as I just assume he won't get near the team) and no one you can really rely upon to drive the team and get stuck in. To say we should drop Carsley is, for me, like saying we should drop Yakubu - Carsley may not score the goals, but he does his job just as well and he certainly stops goals. Everyone needs a defensive player in their midfield, the bottom line is Carsley is our best option until we go into the transfer market.

To score goals you need to have the ball, without a midfielder who can tackle and win the ball back, we'll be chasing shadows all evening.

Edited by carlmc25

Anyway whoever plays it's a sell-out....and Davey's cranking up the crowd..

"...I thought that our supporters were treated quite shabbily (in Fiorentina) and hopefully that will give them something to shout about.

"That is a motivation for us because the supporters are part of our team - we stand together.

"If our supporters play the same role as the supporters of Fiorentina did then that will be great, because they influenced lots of things in the game and they played a big part so I think that the people of Goodison know what I’m talking about and they don’t need me to remind them."

This is as tough as the game at Villarreal and we almost did it.

There's just a chance that tomorrow could be up there with the Bayern '85 game if we could pull it off, everyone talking about it in twenty-five years time and saying, "I was there!" So to everyone on the Gwladys...suck the goals in lads!!

Er....and the Park End in the other half :) .

Edited by MikeO

Seriously, I can see the whole Fernandez passing thing, but COME ON, he's been a total absolute 100% joke, to say he should be considered to play ahead of one of our players of the season (up there with Yobo, Yakubu and Lescott for me) is just madness. Fernandez is an own goal waiting to happen, he constantly gets caught in posession, gives the ball away 60% of the time and is lazy. He shouldn't get near the team, barring injuries, until he proves he deserves a game. Yes we need to score 2 goals, but we have the players (Arteta, Pienaar, Yakubu, Cahill) who can get the goals, without Carsley unless you play the vastly inferior Neville in CM, you have absolutely no one who can protect the defence, no one with any stature (I'm obviously not including Fernandez here as I just assume he won't get near the team) and no one you can really rely upon to drive the team and get stuck in. To say we should drop Carsley is, for me, like saying we should drop Yakubu - Carsley may not score the goals, but he does his job just as well and he certainly stops goals. Everyone needs a defensive player in their midfield, the bottom line is Carsley is our best option until we go into the transfer market.

To score goals you need to have the ball, without a midfielder who can tackle and win the ball back, we'll be chasing shadows all evening.

listen mate i cant say it any kindlier but please stop going on about carsley, hes done a good job the last 3+ seasons but he's an average player, to even suggest to play carsley in a 4 5 1 in a game we need to score 2 goals is laughable. get Arteta Osman Manny & Pienaar in a midfield 4 if you ask me.

listen mate i cant say it any kindlier but please stop going on about carsley, hes done a good job the last 3+ seasons but he's an average player, to even suggest to play carsley in a 4 5 1 in a game we need to score 2 goals is laughable. get Arteta Osman Manny & Pienaar in a midfield 4 if you ask me.

I go on about Carsley because he deserves it, just unfortunately a minority of fans have it in for him no matter what he does over 3 or 4 seasons, fortunately Moyes does appreciate him which is why we're joint 4th. A team with the midfield 4 you highlighted is never going to happen because we'd be another goal or two down within 20 mins, get a grip. Ever heard of a balanced team?

Edited by carlmc25

2 of that midfield 4 are major doubts - 2 are just back from injury... GOOD CALL JOSE!

Howard

Nev Yobo Jags Lescott

Art Cars Timmy Pienaar

AJ Yak

for me anyway - wouldn't mind jags or yobo dropping out to accomodate baines - think he could have some joy over-lapping.

2 of that midfield 4 are major doubts - 2 are just back from injury... GOOD CALL JOSE!

Howard

Nev Yobo Jags Lescott

Art Cars Timmy Pienaar

AJ Yak

for me anyway - wouldn't mind jags or yobo dropping out to accomodate baines - think he could have some joy over-lapping.

If Osman is injured then that's the team I expect to see, if Osman is fit I think AJ may be on the bench.