IGNORED

Alan Smith £1.75mil

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its true.... once he puts on that shirt.. lets get behind him

think i said it a few days ago. i've never been his biggest fan - BUT - i do think his best position was always striker (back at Leeds he scored for fun!), and if he had an extended run just playing up front i think he'd be a decent player. and for £3m or less, bargain in today's market. plus he's always committed, passionate etc....so he's a Moyes player!

Guest brazil banks
think i said it a few days ago. i've never been his biggest fan - BUT - i do think his best position was always striker (back at Leeds he scored for fun!), and if he had an extended run just playing up front i think he'd be a decent player. and for £3m or less, bargain in today's market. plus he's always committed, passionate etc....so he's a Moyes player!

I agree with this 100%.

I suppose it's numbers at least, but I'm worried that since his bad injury he's totally lost his pace etc. If he's cheap then I suppose you can't really argue with it as he is committed and will give his best. Not exactly one to set the pulse racing though.

Strikers are judged on goals, he scored 1 goal in a pre season game = avoid like plague.

Broke his leg quite badly, will never be his "best" ever again - back of his mind when going in for challenges he won't want to break it again.

Even at £1m and £40k a week I would rather play Vaughan, Jutkiewicz, Baxter and probably even Agard.

If we allow fulhams medical team to conduct the medicaL they will find evidence of an old injury when he was at United, they will ask for more scans, and then after 10 days re-negotiate the terms of the Deal.

I dont like to say it but i hope he fails it, or i hope its a pay as you play deal, i cant see him being any use to us at all.

This is an embarrassment to every Evertonian who has been promised Big name players at big prices, another panic buy that will backfire and cost us more money in the long run.

I'm disappointed to say the least and if this comes off its disgracefull treatment of the fans, why not go the whole way and return for Mcfaddy and also try to get Alan Stubbs, and Davy Wier to come back.

SIGNINGS LIKE THIS COULD TAKE US BACK TO RELEGATION BATTLES.

Strikers are judged on goals, he scored 1 goal in a pre season game = avoid like plague.

Agreed, but there are always going to be players who don't cut it at one club yet do at another. At Leeds he was awesome, at United he was unlucky with injuries and at a club like that where they have money to replace you at the click of a finger he was always going to struggle to regain his place. At Newcastle he played under crap management, and with weak players around him. No wonder his form was on a continual downward slide. Moyes has obviously been an admirer of Smith for a long time and I believe Moyes when he says he won't settle for 2nd best. Provided this isn't our only signing, i'll reserve judgement untill after he's played a few games.

It's not the fee that matters to me. It is getting someone on the wagebill that will cost a fortune, he will be looking at £40-£50k a week. Do you think the likes of Cahill, Arteta, Yakubu, who will be first team regulars will be happy at having a bench warmer on parity? There is definately a question mark over his fitness, I think he is all but spent, his injury was horrendous and sometimes you just aren't the same player again. I wish it could be a bargain, but my gut feeling is no chance, he ain't a midfielder, and he isn't a first choice striker - look at ljunberg at west ham.........

If he gets back to his original self then i would happily take him for 3mil... but i highly doubt that he will get back to his old self again.

I think he would expect a wage reduction though he must no himself that hes not as good as he used to be.

Edited by Josh Berno

He was great at leeds, he was good enough for united, for £3m you've got to say in our present position with regards to numbers he's worth a shot without a doubt.

Look at it this way we've lost and england b teamer for £10.5m and poss. replaced him with another for £3m. If he doesn't start every week then nor did AJ, if he doesn't score every week/month nor did AJ. Aslong as he puts in the effort when he's on the pitch like the rest of the players its a sensible bit of business............if it happens.

Look at it this way we've lost and england b teamer for £10.5m and poss. replaced him with another for £3m. If he doesn't start every week then nor did AJ, if he doesn't score every week/month nor did AJ.

I wouldn't put Alan Smith down as an england B teamer.

And thats not moving forward or improving. Alan Smith offers nothing other than a making up numbers and if someone is going to make up numbers they need to be a very average wage which he won't be on.

Plus he's crap, he can't score for shit and isn't a midfielder.

If you get 10 million for a striker you spend at least 10 million on a striker to improve on what you had.

If you get 10 million for a striker you spend at least 10 million on a striker to improve on what you had.

Doesn't always follow. A good manager should always look to get maximum return for minimum outlay, based on the resources available. I would like to think this transfer was in the offing before we sold AJ and that the money from that sale is being used to invest in other targets.

I wouldn't put Alan Smith down as an england B teamer.

And thats not moving forward or improving. Alan Smith offers nothing other than a making up numbers and if someone is going to make up numbers they need to be a very average wage which he won't be on.

Plus he's crap, he can't score for shit and isn't a midfielder.

didn't Smith start for England twice last year?

didn't Smith start for England twice last year?

I'm not sure mate but i can't see him getting into an england side now, no chance, where would he play? As i said he doesn't score goals and he's not a midfielder. Who would he replace in either of those positions?

I do agree with you Paul that a manager should always look to get the best deal possible. But selling Johnson for 10 million and bringing in Smith as a replacement for 3 just doesn't work for me. If he's going to replace Johnson with a striker and improve on what we had/have he needs to spend the lot.

He could be lucky and get a Santa Cruz but people are talking about Smith here and thats just not going to happen.

I feel like people are clutching at straws here, he's not the answer.

i don't think anyone's saying he's the answer, i think all people are saying is that for £3m you won't get much better as a squad player......

sad fact of the modern game that in footballing terms you can't get anyone for £3m nowadays....so to buy a 27 year old who last year (rightly or wrongly) started for England alongside Owen for £3m would be a snip!

he'll never be a 20-a-season player, but what he will provide is effective cover for the Yak, and probably effective cover for whoever we (hopefully) bring in as holding midfielder...

lets just stay positive, i don't think he'll be our big transfer this summer, i hope he's one of two or three players (in addition to a Moutinho) that plug the gaps filled by other average-at-best players that have departed...

He's a fringe england player the same as AJ, i think he started more games upfront for england than aj did pal!! Therefore its like for like but a good bit of money made and as someone else said its money we're investing elsewhere other than on a striker. We've got Vic and Vaughn and will prob play Yak with cahill behind anyway in a lot of games. Agreed if we were offing AJ and looking for a striker to partner yak week in week out then he's not a good signing but i don't think thats the thinking in this case. Agreed its probably alot of wages. Might not be coming anyway..........???

I can see your points of view and yes we need numbers but i just don't think he's good enough. Fair enough at ten to window closing i'd take him in desperation.

Plus Newcastle are letting him go for half what they paid 12 months ago when he played for england, they won't do that lightly, there's got to be a reason why.

And he's right a horrible bastard!

Plus Newcastle are letting him go for half what they paid 12 months ago when he played for england, they won't do that lightly, there's got to be a reason why.

If you believe anything that's printed in the press, the Barcodes need to reduce their wage bill. Lets face it, they don't have many saleable assets on the pitch, and Keegan isn't the most astute of managers.

We tried to sign Smith before he moved to Newcastle and he was more interested in the big bucks than playing for a club in Europe and challenging the top 4.

He struggles with injury, discipline and form for another year and we go back in for him...?

If this is true it looks like a poor decision, seems one of the annual desperation measure signings. Lacks quality to play for a top 5 team pushing the top 4. Unsure where you'd play him, forward with no height or pace, or midfield where he can't pass, kicks people all game giving away free kicks and booked/ sent off every other game.

Where are the players BK said we were looking at that haven't made the papers yet? Are we waiting on the AJ £10m to sign the 5 or 6 players we need to make the squad competitive, let alone move forward????

The whole transfer window depresses me year in year out. Fill with optimism and then buy poor quality at the last minute so they're not prepared for the start of the season and are finding out how they play alongside their team mates in competitive matches.

Piss poor preparation every time :angry:

You're all making good points and i'm starting to think it might not be that bad if we do sign him ........

But i still can't stand the fucker and think he's shit!!!!!

Oh oh, another Evertonian hitting the panic button and settling for 2nd best, if he's not going to improve the team why should we sign him, save the fee and the wages we have to give him, and get a better player.