IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

Who the hell is Tracey Emin amyway?

Wild child of British modern art many years ago but still going strong, along with Damien Hurst perpetuated all sorts of absurdity that allowed them to take shitloads of money off thick rich people (eg Charles Saatchi). Many others followed in their footsteps.

All started (in my memory at least) in the seventies when the Tate Gallery put "Equivalent VIII" on show. Here are some people admiring it. They are bricks btw if the photo's not too clear.

image001.jpg

People are having to use food banks to get by and this tart can sell a fucking bed for this much? Fuck off.

Would you feel the same way if she donated all the money to help the homeless? It's not just "government" that helps the needy. Indeed, if we as private individuals chose to give more, there would be no need for the government to even get involved.

A bed is not worth that much no matter where the money goes afterwards.

The point you were making, I thought, was that people are spending millions on a work of art that you'd rather see contributed to help those in need. I asked whether your concern would be addressed if the recipient of those funds donated them to meet those social needs, and I was surprised that you responded "no". Why would you care whether the funds were donated directly or through the medium of a work of art? Isn't the result the same?

As for the value of a work of art, there are many examples throughout history when the value of an item in someone's eyes is vastly different from the value in the eyes of others. That's par for the course.

The point you were making, I thought, was that people are spending millions on a work of art that you'd rather see contributed to help those in need. I asked whether your concern would be addressed if the recipient of those funds donated them to meet those social needs, and I was surprised that you responded "no". Why would you care whether the funds were donated directly or through the medium of a work of art? Isn't the result the same?

As for the value of a work of art, there are many examples throughout history when the value of an item in someone's eyes is vastly different from the value in the eyes of others. That's par for the course.

Its an unmade bed Steve. There is no value, nearly everyone in the world has one in some shape or form. This is just an example of people having more money than sense and wanting to show off how rich they are, which insults the rest of the world.

Edited by Matt

Matt's answered for me. The clique strikes again!

art to me has always been for bell ends

some cunt turns a toilet on it's side and it's all of a sudden art...just people pretending to see something to make them sound like they have class

all wankers

no offence like :lol:

That post will sell for £10,000 in a couple of years time, Genius.

Hit by a double whammy today; two of my daughters announce they're pregnant (again); will push the grandchild count to nine between the four of them. Ridiculous, feels like they just left primary school, where do the years go?

Congratulations!

Yes, I remember like yesterday when my older daughter was born, and now she's expecting her second - another girl.

Wild child of British modern art many years ago but still going strong, along with Damien Hurst perpetuated all sorts of absurdity that allowed them to take shitloads of money off thick rich people (eg Charles Saatchi). Many others followed in their footsteps.

All started (in my memory at least) in the seventies when the Tate Gallery put "Equivalent VIII" on show. Here are some people admiring it. They are bricks btw if the photo's not too clear.

image001.jpg

Charles Saatchi may lack taste but he makes a lot of money out of it. He pays a lot of money for crap but creates a 'market'. Then gullible rich people come along and pay even more when Saatchi sells it. Non-artists like Emin and Hirst make a lot of money. Saatchi makes a lot of money and the bozo's at the end of the chain think they have a masterpiece.

image001.jpg

bricks? stacked?

i'm assuming a dancing ferret pops up now and then and shouts "last one to the bar is a bender"?

otherwise fuckin hell

Edited by marcopaulo

bricks? stacked?

i'm assuming a dancing ferret pops up now and then and shouts "last one to the bar is a bender"?

otherwise fuckin hell

Fire bricks to be exact; Tate paid £2297 for them in 1966 (a similar work sold for $1.1m in 2008); it's in the Tate Modern today so you can still go and see it if you want. Artist was a guy called Carl Andre, he made quite a few of them so they were all "equivalent" (geddit?) :unsure: .

Display caption
'The sensation of these pieces was that they come above your ankles, as if you were wading in bricks', Andre has commented. 'It was like stepping from water of one depth to water of another depth.' This was the last in his series of Equivalent sculptures, each consisting of a rectangular configuration of 120 firebricks. Although the shape of each arrangement is different, they all have the same height, mass and volume, and are therefore 'equivalent' to each other.

Fire bricks to be exact; Tate paid £2297 for them in 1966 (a similar work sold for $1.1m in 2008); it's in the Tate Modern today so you can still go and see it if you want. Artist was a guy called Carl Andre, he made quite a few of them so they were all "equivalent" (geddit?) :unsure: .

Display caption
'The sensation of these pieces was that they come above your ankles, as if you were wading in bricks', Andre has commented. 'It was like stepping from water of one depth to water of another depth.' This was the last in his series of Equivalent sculptures, each consisting of a rectangular configuration of 120 firebricks. Although the shape of each arrangement is different, they all have the same height, mass and volume, and are therefore 'equivalent' to each other.

like stairs then?

fuck me...i really don't get art

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...