IGNORED

England.

Currently at the top of the World Cup group just what will happen with the next few games? We should be looking towards 2010 with flying colours shoulden't we?

Current Table

England (12)

Croatia (7)

Ukraine (7)

Belarus (3)

Kazakhstan (3)

Andorra (0)

Edited by dark

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the friendly against Spain and the team already announced what do you think of our chances? Surely we should be confident of a World Cup 2012 place under Capello?

The team to face Spain has been announced

Robert Green

Joe Hart

David James

Wayne Bridge

Ashley Cole

Rio Ferdinand

Phil Jagielka

Glen Johnson

John Terry

Matt Upson

Luke Young

Gareth Barry

David Beckham

Micheal Carrick

Stuart Downing

Frank Lampard

James Milner

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Ashley Young

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Carlton Cole

Peter Crouch

Emile Heskey

We pulled it off against Germany but this one does look to be a win for Spain. I know I'm probably wrong but I just don't like seeing Emile Heskey in the England team, don't rate him with international status at all.

David Beckham has the chance to become England's second most capped player of all time having been named in the England squad for the friendly with Spain on 11 February.

Another nice record for David too

Edited by dark

Guest efctaxi

It's not the ideal team on paper , but I think we're not really giving the Villa players the respect that they deserve for their achievements this season .

What Capello has done is slapped a few egos since coming to England , and isn't letting the press pick the team for him which I like . There's plenty of goals in that squad , and Spain aren't exactly a super force in World football .

I like the fact that Beckham is back in the team . The press built him up , and then tried to knock him down and his removal from the squad by the last manager was nothing short of rediculous . I would love him here at Everton , but it ain't going to happen anytime soon :lol:

Heskey has been playing ok lately , and the team play well with him so no big deal .

A few unlucky injuries to the Villa squad and they'll be on the slide :D

We pulled it off against Germany but this one does look to be a win for Spain. I know I'm probably wrong but I just don't like seeing Emile Heskey in the England team, don't rate him with international status at all.

Another nice record for David too

here is a better one if it happens....If beckham stays at Milan for the rest of the season and they win the league, he will be the only player in europe to win the 3 major titles - Prem, La liga and then the Italian one (i dont know the name of it, begins with S)

• Hart
  • Bridge
  • Terry
  • Jagielka
  • A.Cole
  • Beckham
  • Barry
  • Young
  • Heskey
  • Cole
  • Agbonlahor

The International Friendly match will kick off at 8pm and will be Spain's first visit to England since February 2001 when the Three Lions ran out comfortable 3-0 winners at Villa Park.

I remember that game too, I'm sure that Nick Barmby was one of the scores for England, Ugo Egihogu too. I also think that it was Sven's first game in charge as England manager - Good times, let's hope we equal that good result against them this time round :)

Edited by dark

I think Capello got the squad wrong really. Needs to be picked on form....

------------------James----------------

Hibbert---Jagielka---Lescott---Baines :D

Beckham---Barry---Neville---Young :D

------------Heskey-----Agbonlahor---

All you can hear from the media is how Villa have so many English players yet no mention is ever made of our back four unit which is as good, if not better than any other defence in the Prem and they are all English

All you can hear from the media is how Villa have so many English players yet no mention is ever made of our back four unit which is as good, if not better than any other defence in the Prem and they are all English

I was also very suprised.

Are they really that good, i mean the Villa players selected? I know agbonlahor, young and Barry are considered very good, the rest is unfamiliar to me.

Also think Lescott or baines should have been selected. That Wayne bridge, he hardly played the last few years or am i wrong?

Between the years of 2003-2009 he played a total of 87 games for Chelsea. When you consider what he has played recently thats not a good figure. When he first signed for the club it was under the management of Ranieri, and during Ranieri's season he managed to be getting a game week in and week out.

He moved to Fulham for a loan spell in 2006 when Mourinhio dropped him, he played 12 games before moving back to a reserve place at Chelsea. He's since moved to Manchester City in the January Transfer Window and played four games for them. He doesen't really deserve a place in the real England squad (for playing qualifiers) but as it is only a friendly it could just be a test to see if he is still up to national status, rather than finding this out in an important game.

I dont have a problem with any of the call-ups, its only a friendly and the reason for Lescott not being in the team is because Capello already knows he is up to English standard, he doesen't need to look at him again. That's what I'm hoping, I have full faith in Capello, he's the best England manager that I have seen. I know that that's not many managers with me being born in 93' but under him we do seem to be a force again.

At least its a step up from Steve McLaren ;)

...the reason for Lescott not being in the team is because Capello already knows he is up to English standard, he doesen't need to look at him again.

Joleon's not played at all well for England.

And anyway by that logic he wouldn't have called up Beckham, Ferdinand, Terry. Lampard, Barry etc etc (he knows they're all good enough so doesn't need to play them!?).

It's a pretty daft argument tbh, Lescott's not been called up because he's fallen begind Jags in the pecking order, simple as. I agree with that....I just don't think he should have fallen behind Upson as well.

Joleon's not played at all well for England.

And anyway by that logic he wouldn't have called up Beckham, Ferdinand, Terry. Lampard, Barry etc etc (he knows they're all good enough so doesn't need to play them!?).

It's a pretty daft argument tbh, Lescott's not been called up because he's fallen begind Jags in the pecking order, simple as. I agree with that....I just don't think he should have fallen behind Upson as well.

Why not just select a successful unit namely our lads, that is how Ramsey did it?

Capellao is at pains to point out (mainly when asked about Beckham) that he'd going to pick the team on form.

If that extends through the whole team, spot the deliberate mistake in the following sentence...

"England coach Fabio Capello’s desire to play his strongest possible side in Seville tonight means Rio Ferdinand and John Terry are set to start in the centre of defence."

Guest efctaxi

Don't know if anyone wants to discuss the match , but seeing as we'll all be wondering about winning the next World Cup , we might as well :lol:

Few points :

1 : Hate to see a side put out that is full of substitutions . Play 11 players and add one or 2 subs .

2 : One good season and the team is full of Villa players . If you're going to play them , play 'both' Agga 'and' Young together , and give them 2 or 3 matches . Is Heskey and Crouch really the best we have , injuries aside ?

Who is the next Alan Shearer ?

3 : Gerrard , Rooney , Ferdinand , J Cole , G Neville , Hargreaves , Owen , Defoe all missing .

4 : Is it just me , or is there a trend to fall over at every opportunity now in the English team ?

5 : Our best squad , in a real tournament would have beaten Spain today imho . They really weren't particularly great , and if they had played well , would have slaughtered the pathetic team we fielded today .

6 : When the shit hits the fan , Becham is our most experienced player , and has been badly treated over the last few years or so . Time the pundits gave credit where it's due .

7 : Wright Phillips is incapable of hitting a ball hard enough to burst through a wet paper bag , and seems incapable of finishing anything he starts , or passing the ball at the right time .

8 : What did we learn today ?

Outside of the main ' traditional ' squad players , our other players are pretty tame . Ban the use of free subs and get them playing together .

9 : I don't do cheesy 10's lol :lol:

9 1/2 : Gripe over :)

Who are the best 11 when all fit ? ( Let's not be biased ) :)

I have a lot of time for Heskey!

That certainly wasn't Englands best team!

Don't think we learn't very much to be honest, maybe gave a few fringe players the chance to get a bit more experience at that level.

David James after gifting luckypool two goals at the weekend was thought of as our best goalkeeper!!

Our best eleven?.....can't even think of a good Goalkeeper :angry:

David James after gifting luckypool two goals at the weekend was thought of as our best goalkeeper!!

Our best eleven?.....can't even think of a good Goalkeeper :angry:

Baffles me how he gets picked....so many mistakes. He may be a great keeper 95% of the time but that's nowhere near good enough. Certainly wouldn't have him at Everton, unless the only alternative was Teflon.....and even then I'd have to think about it <_< .

Baffles me how he gets picked....so many mistakes. He may be a great keeper 95% of the time but that's nowhere near good enough. Certainly wouldn't have him at Everton, unless the only alternative was Teflon.....and even then I'd have to think about it <_< .

He is a good goalkeeper, just too unreliable. Should give Joe Hart a chance in-between the sticks in our next game. With the performance against Spain how do you think we will fare against Slovakia - next qualification game?

FYI its on Saturday, 28th March 2009 B)

Given has urged Hart to stay Bill

Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given has urged team-mate Joe Hart to remain at Eastlands, despite taking his place in the first team.The Citizens signed Given from Newcastle United in the transfer window and he went straight into the starting line up for yesterday’s 1-0 win over Middlesbrough at the expense of Hart.

City now have two class goalkeepers, Given & Hart are players that would just fit at any team and its good to have them both, the trouble is that with Hart on the bench he will attract attention and first team football will come to him. It must be hard to take returning to the reserves like that after doing nothing wrong, for a lad of his age too it must be hard to take.

He could come and be our goalkeeper when Howard packs in :rolleyes: