IGNORED

Transfer Deadline Day Special

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why has my post been repeated there? i couldnt even get on the boards for last 7 hours!!

anyways...must say im quite disappointed by this the players we have got in fantastic but the numbers is just not good enough! why did it take til the last day AGAIN?! portsmouth signed about 4 or 5 players today or summat daft didnt they? is it so difficult really...sorry to be goin on again about this but please someone explain why we are so shite at it! moyes has come out and said strength in depth on the OS yet the squad is the same size as last year and we qualified for europe this year so it really is not good enough! happy and pissed off at the same time

i'm pretty sure as long as BK has "submitted the paperwork to the Prem officials by 5 o'clock(ish) PM that Defour is still a possibility. But as far as I'm concerned we aren't going to be signing him, at least not this window...but IF (big IF) BK pulls this out and reveals tomorrow that the deal was done...I'll probably scream myself deaf.

I couldnt get on at all last night, was gutted. Just as the deadline was passing, no response!!!

onto deadline stuff. Im pretty disappointed tbh. How BK has got away with not spending a penny, i dont know!? Someone wrote an article that i read yday, bout him sitting back and smoking a cigar, enjoying the window closure in knowing that he hasnt spent anythin.

Also how come all the deals BK's involved in, never materialise? Moutinho, last year for example. A couple before deadline day this. Heitinga was a combination of R.Elstone and Moyes, that took 4 days! BK is wank, got a blue heart, just in the wrong place.

Quite a disappointing end to the window in my opinion. I thought we needed to bring another 2 players in at the very least. There was Krancjar who chose Spurs but that was always going to be the case.

I just hope neither Yobo or Distin get injured and Jags gets back to full match fitness before Yobo goes to the ACN otherwise we'll have to do a reshuffle yet again. Fortunately it seems that Heitinga can play CB but he was clearly bought to play RB and that is where he should remain if at all possible.

I'd have liked a CB/ defender to cover LB and CB and a central midfielder but then again if we cannot bring players in during the first 2 months of the window I'm not surprised we fail on deadline day

We've signed some excellent players that have strengthened the team but its clear there was no money to spend at all if it had not been for Lescott.

This is shocking for a club our size. We finish 5th, were in Europe and FA cup finalists - yet we have a budget of £0?!!!

Appalling.

At least we do have cover now at centre back and the wing backs and another midfielder.

I'd love to rummage through the accounts and see where the money goes. I've long held an opinion that there are lots of scary things in our accounts that prevent us from being taken over, having money to spend on players etc.

Perhaps this years money was just used to pay the balance for Felli?

TBH I don't think it was a case of we had no budget more along the lines of we had say £20m budget. To get the £20m without the sale of Lescott would have meant borrowing (some may argue it shouldn't have meant borrowing), where as with Lescott sale we negated the need for further borrowing.

If you set a budget of £20m where the budget is filled from is irrelevant. You have a plan, you stick to the plan to ensure good business progress. We are potentially in a better position financially now than we projected at the end of last season i.e. planning to borrow.

The question does still remain what our cash flow statement looks like but you cannot argue we did a lot of dealings without borrowing further.

Youth transfers always go under the radar but we have bought quite a few of the most promising youngsters (English too!) ahead of the top 4. I think it obvious we do have a strong youth policy so the future is not all doom and gloom IMO.

I agree EW, i dont think it is a gloomy future and im ipressed with our youth policy this year, i think we made some good sginings. I just feel, for a team to progress, like we have been doing, and want to get through the glass ceiling, we still need to have spent more (based on todays climate). I for one would love to know what BK was doing at 4.30 (echoing D.Mouse), and as much as im disappointed with numbers, im pleased with who we have bought in.

I rate Heiting to high heaven, and thats a coupe for Everton, lets just hope that he can try and pursuade his good friend Van Der Vaart, to pop over on loan to permanent come January ;)

If we keep our players fit, and get the guys back from injury. Our starting 11 is juicy and actually for the 1st time in years, our bench looks respectable lol Come on you blues, now show us what you're made of and climb that table :)

our defense is fine i think now we have 4 players who can play cb at the top level and 2 full backs 1 of whom can play at the highest level and the other who can do a decent job when needed. also 2 of our cb can cover either side and also we have neville im just disappointed again by the numbers really and the time it took! i mean it gives me the impression that if we are signing our biggest players at the last minute then they cant have been the main transfer targets otherwise they'd have been done well before? itsl ike they are plan C or D or something. also bentley was available to loan out and yet we let that one slip away when we could do with another natural winger! im happy with the youth policy but also worried some might get burnt out with the amount of games we might have to play! hopefully get a few faces in january if not then i'll cry!

I agree EW, i dont think it is a gloomy future and im ipressed with our youth policy this year, i think we made some good sginings. I just feel, for a team to progress, like we have been doing, and want to get through the glass ceiling, we still need to have spent more (based on todays climate). I for one would love to know what BK was doing at 4.30 (echoing D.Mouse), and as much as im disappointed with numbers, im pleased with who we have bought in.

I rate Heiting to high heaven, and thats a coupe for Everton, lets just hope that he can try and pursuade his good friend Van Der Vaart, to pop over on loan to permanent come January ;)

If we keep our players fit, and get the guys back from injury. Our starting 11 is juicy and actually for the 1st time in years, our bench looks respectable lol Come on you blues, now show us what you're made of and climb that table :)

Thank the gods! there was me thinking im alone and crazy for being happy with what has happened. would i have like 1-2 more players? sure. but do i think we have a good squad with some very handy addidtions. Definately. I also like the fact that each of the 3 players bought have been captains at some point, which means we could drop Nev, which could be good considering the number of games we have coming up.

all in all, well done BK, board and Moyes. Not as many faces as we wouldve liked, but the quality not quantity approach has certainly worked. cant wait to see what happens at Fulham...

Edited by galacticaracnid

When was the last time we brought in 3 players in the same transfer window who could go straight into our starting 11. And how many of the other clubs have done that this window?

I am, along with many others, quite disappointed with how said transfers and transfer period has been dealt with but the result has been nothing short of fantastic. And looking at it economically as mentioned we will be able to rid ourselves of some of the debt when we financed our buys by selling instead of taking out further loans. This is a good move for our future. If there's further strengthening needed then it can be done in january but at this point it is quite hard to see how and where we would need it (well yeah, another creative centermidfielder to take some pressure off Arty's back would've been nice).

We now have more competition for places, as well as the possibility of resting some players when needed without having to play 3-4 youngsters.

I'm satisfied with this transfer window, even if I had my hopes up even higher..

So who do we sell in January to fund that window then lads? Because we all know there'll be fuck all there to spend in January as well.

depending on whether or not we just ran out of time in the window, not sure we will have to. Either way, reckon if Van der Vaart doesnt get his games then we could have him on a Moysie load-then-buy deal. Also depends on how well we are doing in the league and if we are still in Europe. if we have qualified in Europe by christmas, should be a bit cash in the kitty...

depending on whether or not we just ran out of time in the window, not sure we will have to. Either way, reckon if Van der Vaart doesnt get his games then we could have him on a Moysie load-then-buy deal. Also depends on how well we are doing in the league and if we are still in Europe. if we have qualified in Europe by christmas, should be a bit cash in the kitty...

Problem is in January one of the top 4 will snap Van Der Vaart up... In terms of summer signing's i think we did quite well with who we got in. Just glad we didnt waste 10 - 15 mil on bently for him to sit on bench!!! Billy on the left... pienar right!! osman cover... sorted. Shame Valencia wanted to hang on to benaga tho.. he would have been good.

A Soccernet blogger rating the transfer window dealings gave us a 7 (out of 10), with these comments:

"David Moyes may have fought tooth and nail to keep Lescott, without success, but having driven the hardest of bargains he somehow convinced Manchester City to part with £24m, making the England international one of the most expensive defenders of all time. Moyes has used the windfall wisely in recruiting Johnny Heitinga and Sylvain Distin to strengthen his defence and adding talented Russian midfielder Diniyar Bilalyetdinov. Jo has also returned on loan from City to supply goals.

Rating: 7/10"

Only teams to get equal or higher ratings than us were City (9), Stoke (8), Sunderland (8), and Spurs (7). At the bottom of his list, he only gave Liverpool a 2.

Problem is in January one of the top 4 will snap Van Der Vaart up... In terms of summer signing's i think we did quite well with who we got in. Just glad we didnt waste 10 - 15 mil on bently for him to sit on bench!!! Billy on the left... pienar right!! osman cover... sorted. Shame Valencia wanted to hang on to benaga tho.. he would have been good.

if the top 4 were after him they wouldve signed him already. agree with bentley, a waste of space...

Let's not get carried away with the Van der Vaart situation.

We were credited with an enquiry and he was quoted as being "interested" but by no means wanted to join us. Out initial enquiry could have been met by "we will start talking at £80k a week" and which point we put the phone down (rightly so).

Come January I don't think we will sell and maybe grab a couple of guys from the Championship. Unless of course Anil Ambani reads ToffeeTalk and my signature :D He certainly doesn't read my emails (well his office doesn't) :P