IGNORED

Spurs (away)

MikeO

Let's don't overlook something that I think happened in the second half today!

No! not the fact that we were way better than the team now in 4th place..

....No I think second half today, proved something to me, that was Arteta and Jagielka are back.

Arteta has had a couple of games, but I don't think we saw much to be happy about (other than the simple fact he was actually back playing)....BUT 2nd half today, he seemed to be getting "IT" back on.As for Jagielka, 2nd half today and he looked just about ready for anything.

That's potentially our two best players maybe up and running.....so crap result, but today could be remembered for something else other than 2-1.....if those two are back, then today was a good day B)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....No I think second half today, proved something to me, that was Arteta and Jagielka are back.

Arteta has had a couple of games, but I don't think we saw much to be happy about (other than the simple fact he was actually back playing)....BUT 2nd half today, he seemed to be getting "IT" back on.As for Jagielka, 2nd half today and he looked just about ready for anything.

That's potentially our two best players maybe up and running.....so crap result, but today could be remembered for something else other than 2-1.....if those two are back, then today was a good day B)

I also think we saw Rodwells best position. Sod all this DM/CB crap, he was brilliant today getting from box to box. On another day he could have scored 2 goals and got 2 assists, all from getting himself into the box, and not being restricted into sitting deep. I think the goal against Man U may have just given him the confidence to drive forward and get into dangerous positions.

Not much more to be said that hasn't already and while I can quite agree with most arguments I would like to say that Moyes got his tactics wriong, especially in the first half. While he takes the credit for the Chelsea and Man Utd results he has to take the stick when he gets it wrong. Anichebe, in my humble opinion, was crap (and he wasn't alone but I mentioning him as he has been subject to many posts) and maybe that was because he was playing on the wing. Ok he won a couple of headers and corners but his tracking back on Bale, when he clearly having a great game going forward, was awful. On the whole we showed again how consistently inconsistent we are.

On a separate issue I am pissed off at the lack of appreciation shown to the traveeling fans over the last two games. On Thursday they couldn't be arsed venturing past the half way line to offer their appreciation and yesterday apart from Neville, Jagielka and Heittinga there was a total lack of disrespect shown to the fans by the way a few token claps from the half way line. :angry:

arteta was back as soon as he wasnt asked to defend...just not his game i cant wait for him to be playing with felli infront of that back 4 again winning 90%+ headers and balls as he seemed to be doing then givin it to arteta...agreed on jags too he looked his old self at times there and again when he is ready next season i cant wait! next season if we stay injury free and get a couple of players in i can see a very good top 4 challenge...big ifs though

I also think we saw Rodwells best position. Sod all this DM/CB crap, he was brilliant today getting from box to box. On another day he could have scored 2 goals and got 2 assists, all from getting himself into the box, and not being restricted into sitting deep. I think the goal against Man U may have just given him the confidence to drive forward and get into dangerous positions.

spot on! maybe another cahill positoned midfielder in rodwell just a lot more technically gifted! maybe timmy can teach him how to do what he does then he would be unstoppable! :D

Edited by marcopaulo

If we're going to play Rodwell in that position, which I doubt is Moyes' plan, then we should be playing him there every week with the reserves to get him more comfortable in the box.

Rodwell definitely showed some great touches and instinct though, so it seems possible that with Jags back, Moyes might just push Heitinga, my MOTM, (no idea how he was at fault for the first, looked to all the world like Distin went on a walk about) into that DM position. We've got Hull up next he should be able to muscle them enough to give Moyes the opportunity to try out some new tactics.

If we're going to play Rodwell in that position, which I doubt is Moyes' plan, then we should be playing him there every week with the reserves to get him more comfortable in the box.

Rodwell definitely showed some great touches and instinct though, so it seems possible that with Jags back, Moyes might just push Heitinga, my MOTM, (no idea how he was at fault for the first, looked to all the world like Distin went on a walk about) into that DM position. We've got Hull up next he should be able to muscle them enough to give Moyes the opportunity to try out some new tactics.

I think you must be the only one! Heitinga was playing as the covering defender and should therefore sweep up an balls that get played over the defender that is pressing more. He was in the perfect position to track Defoe but instead of going to press him, he picked up Pav (and played him onside) which should have been left to Neville. It wouldnt surprise me if there was communication problems between the two (Nev & Heitinga) as Neville should have told Heitinga he was there.

It was a mistake, which is a shame, but he has already showed that he is class but on this occassion he chose the wrong option. Everyone makes mistakes, lets just hope he learns from it!

I think you must be the only one! Heitinga was playing as the covering defender and should therefore sweep up an balls that get played over the defender that is pressing more. He was in the perfect position to track Defoe but instead of going to press him, he picked up Pav (and played him onside) which should have been left to Neville. It wouldnt surprise me if there was communication problems between the two (Nev & Heitinga) as Neville should have told Heitinga he was there.

It was a mistake, which is a shame, but he has already showed that he is class but on this occassion he chose the wrong option. Everyone makes mistakes, lets just hope he learns from it!

I'll admit I've only seen it on TV but I just don't see how this is anything but Distin's fault, or perhaps a breakdown in communication b/w Distin and Heitinga.

http://www.footytube.com/video/tottenham-hotspur-everton-feb28-35714

At ~minute 1:15.

It's a long ball played over the top from Huddlestone and you can see that Distin is well well up the field doing who knows what when he's supposed to be covering Defoe. From what I've seen Heitinga was covering Pav, then with Distin out of position he tries to get over to cut off Defoe, who scuffs his shot and it falls for Pav. If Heitinga pushes straight up to to Defoe on the long ball then Pav is left wide open, I really think he played it as well as he could have.

Now maybe Distin was screaming at Neville and Heitinga to get up, but I just find it hard to believe that two of our most responsible players were asleep at the same time while one of our most error prone was doing the right thing. Perhaps that's just clouded vision though.

At any rate, both recovered and acquitted themselves throughout the rest of the match and that goal is not what cost us the points.

I'll admit I've only seen it on TV but I just don't see how this is anything but Distin's fault, or perhaps a breakdown in communication b/w Distin and Heitinga.

It's a long ball played over the top from Huddlestone and you can see that Distin is well well up the field doing who knows what when he's supposed to be covering Defoe. From what I've seen Heitinga was covering Pav, then with Distin out of position he tries to get over to cut off Defoe, who scuffs his shot and it falls for Pav. If Heitinga pushes straight up to to Defoe on the long ball then Pav is left wide open, I really think he played it as well as he could have.

At any rate, both recovered and acquitted themselves throughout the rest of the match and that goal is not what cost us the points.

I agree that Distin was maybe pushed up to far but Heitinga was in the perfect position to cover Defoe but he then checked his run and went to Pav. After all if Heitinga had got to Defoe the ball might not have even got across, and if he does then Neville should be there covering him.

Anyway tbh its irrelevant who we assign fault to. As you say they both played well and made up for it and it was just a shocking 1st half performance that cost us the game.

Edited by Bailey

Now maybe Distin was screaming at Neville and Heitinga to get up, but I just find it hard to believe that two of our most responsible players were asleep at the same time while one of our most error prone was doing the right thing. Perhaps that's just clouded vision though.

It was Heitinga's fault about 3 times over, firstly he played Defoe onside (from memory) secondly he didn't track Defoe but left him on is own to get a shot in, thirdly instead he tracked Pav and played him onside for the goal. I don't think Distin pushed up so much as Heitinga dropped back. It was totally his fault, no question.