IGNORED

Spurs (away)

MikeO

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way Everton weren't the better team second half, probably the difference in the end was a wonder goal and a missed second half chance for Donovan.

At least the 2nd half gives hope for the rest of the season.

Poor old milky!.....mixed feeling for him......Everton lost so he's reasonably happy, but he can't be feeling good about Evertons second half!

Spurs were pretty lame in the challange, constantly going down and winning free kicks, and time waisting from about the 80th minute.

Another loss because we could only be arsed playing for half the match. I'm getting a bit tired of us doing that.

I can't be too gutted though, I said at the beginning of Feb that I'd be happy with 6 points out of Liverpool, Chelsea, Manu and Spurs. We've got that, so I suppose the rest is just being greedy. Still we need to start playing for 90 minutes, too many times this season we've not been at the races and conceded stupid goals, then in another half we play well and look like a quality side.

I don't know what match some of you were watching but there is some serious crap being spouted here. Anichebe, playing out of position on the wing, put a full shift in and was about our most dangerous player the whole time he was on the pitch. True, he gave the ball away a couple of times, but he was constantly linking up play, he tried a lovely couple of through balls, he won some great headers and always looked like he wanted to go towards goal. He's direct, winning corners etc and played a big part in the goal (holding off Gomez). He also had a big hand in the best chance we had in the first half (great play to set up Neville for his cross to Rodwell). He is getting stick for the sake of it, he was excellent and I can't imagine Saha or Yakubu doing better out on the wing, they would probably just sulk all match. I bet he would have scored the chance Donovan missed and at least he had a bit of a go at Bale, rather than Donovan who apparently has pace but always cuts back inside rather than running anyone. Donovan had about 3 excellent opportunities to do something and blew all of them.

Yakubu was superb, his chest control and defence splitting pass in the second half was sublime, just a pity Donovan couldn't control it. I thought we played really well. First half we had as much possession as they did and passed it around well, we just looked a little tired which imo is understandable. Spurs scored a criminal first goal but the only man to blame was Heitinga who totally cocked up. The second goal was a brilliant goal, aside from that they created little and we were playing well in midfield just lacking a little bit of pace and energy. I was proud of Everton today, midweek took a lot out of us, confidence wish as well, but we stood up and kept fighting, most teams would have buckled. Europe has probably gone now, not a bad thing imo as now next season we'll have less games and i really think we can go for 4th. We now need to start giving players like Coleman and Anichebe a chance to stake a claim. Saha isn't the future, Yakubu was excellent today, give him or Anichebe a chance in the run in, get Coleman in for Neville and let's get Arteta and Jags up to speed for next year.

But anyway, get off Anichebe's back, he hasn't played for a year, he was out on the wing and he had a real go, what more do you want, he did a hell of a lot more than Bily has pretty much in about 80% of his matches. Anichebe is aggressive and direct, he'll come good.

My problem wasn't with Anichebe today, it was how Moyes deployed him. If he was going to start him then it needed to be uptop alongside the Yak, not on the wing where he was going to be asked to work his arse off. It was his first start since being out for a year, so IMO it was a mistake to play him on the wing. After all, he's not the most energetic of players at the best of times but to ask him to get up and down the pitch after being out for that long was a big mistake on Moyes' part IMO.

I don't know what match some of you were watching but there is some serious crap being spouted here. Anichebe, playing out of position on the wing, put a full shift in and was about our most dangerous player the whole time he was on the pitch. True, he gave the ball away a couple of times, but he was constantly linking up play, he tried a lovely couple of through balls, he won some great headers and always looked like he wanted to go towards goal. He's direct, winning corners etc and played a big part in the goal (holding off Gomez). He also had a big hand in the best chance we had in the first half (great play to set up Neville for his cross to Rodwell). He is getting stick for the sake of it, he was excellent and I can't imagine Saha or Yakubu doing better out on the wing, they would probably just sulk all match. I bet he would have scored the chance Donovan missed and at least he had a bit of a go at Bale, rather than Donovan who apparently has pace but always cuts back inside rather than running anyone. Donovan had about 3 excellent opportunities to do something and blew all of them.

Yakubu was superb, his chest control and defence splitting pass in the second half was sublime, just a pity Donovan couldn't control it. I thought we played really well. First half we had as much possession as they did and passed it around well, we just looked a little tired which imo is understandable. Spurs scored a criminal first goal but the only man to blame was Heitinga who totally cocked up. The second goal was a brilliant goal, aside from that they created little and we were playing well in midfield just lacking a little bit of pace and energy. I was proud of Everton today, midweek took a lot out of us, confidence wish as well, but we stood up and kept fighting, most teams would have buckled. Europe has probably gone now, not a bad thing imo as now next season we'll have less games and i really think we can go for 4th. We now need to start giving players like Coleman and Anichebe a chance to stake a claim. Saha isn't the future, Yakubu was excellent today, give him or Anichebe a chance in the run in, get Coleman in for Neville and let's get Arteta and Jags up to speed for next year.

But anyway, get off Anichebe's back, he hasn't played for a year, he was out on the wing and he had a real go, what more do you want, he did a hell of a lot more than Bily has pretty much in about 80% of his matches. Anichebe is aggressive and direct, he'll come good.

Good post...

While I agree in principal in which you talk about Saha, he is still a quality player and if we do harbour thoughts of a top 4 finish next year then he will have to play his fair share of games because on his day he is simply brilliant. IMO these players should get more of a run out in cup comps. Yes we run the risk of going out but our 1st team players didnt turn up in a lot of our cup games this season, so these guys should get a go, otherwise they will go stale on the bench. I dont advocate playing 11 youngsters but blooding a couple in with the 1st team players wouldnt go amiss.

I think people were expecting too much of Anichebe in terms of his defensive output. At least when he was tracking Bale he was trying to catch him even though he was clearly slower. Donovan is rapid, yet couldnt be arsed to put that tackle in, which was very dissapointing...

My problem wasn't with Anichebe today, it was how Moyes deployed him. If he was going to start him then it needed to be uptop alongside the Yak, not on the wing where he was going to be asked to work his arse off. It was his first start since being out for a year, so IMO it was a mistake to play him on the wing. After all, he's not the most energetic of players at the best of times but to ask him to get up and down the pitch after being out for that long was a big mistake on Moyes' part IMO.

I agree although I think Moyes was of the belief that Anichebe would be able to expose Bale as being quite weak and a fairly crap defender, although this relied on us having more of the ball, and Vic not being knackered!

If he could couple his brute strength with a great work ethic we could have one hell of a player, even if he isnt the most technically gifted.

I agree although I think Moyes was of the belief that Anichebe would be able to expose Bale as being quite weak and a fairly crap defender, although this relied on us having more of the ball, and Vic not being knackered!

If he could couple his brute strength with a great work ethic we could have one hell of a player, even if he isnt the most technically gifted.

I thought Anichebe DID work hard, he put a full shift in, he even put himself in where it really hurts a couple of times and tracked Bale as best he could. He obviously isn't quite 100% in terms of full match fitness but I don't think anyone could question his commitment and effort today. Moyes doesn't like to play 442 and he wanted to play Yak, I also think he wanted to send a message to Donovan that he needs to perform every game and not just when he feels like it. Today, Anichebe looked fairly formidable in the air, his brute strength is awesome for his age and his control and link up play is actually pretty good, much better than Vaughan's whose first touch is generally poor. He is mobile, he likes to shoot, he is good at turning a defender and he likes to go towards the goal, I think he has everything needed to be a top class striker, he just needs to stay fit and get a run of games to see what he is made of. I don't think Vaughan has what it takes but I do think Anichebe could become a very important player for us. I think he should be commended on his performance today, out of position, unfit, yet he tried his best and caused them some problems.

I thought Anichebe DID work hard, he put a full shift in, he even put himself in where it really hurts a couple of times and tracked Bale as best he could. He obviously isn't quite 100% in terms of full match fitness but I don't think anyone could question his commitment and effort today. Moyes doesn't like to play 442 and he wanted to play Yak, I also think he wanted to send a message to Donovan that he needs to perform every game and not just when he feels like it. Today, Anichebe looked fairly formidable in the air, his brute strength is awesome for his age and his control and link up play is actually pretty good, much better than Vaughan's whose first touch is generally poor. He is mobile, he likes to shoot, he is good at turning a defender and he likes to go towards the goal, I think he has everything needed to be a top class striker, he just needs to stay fit and get a run of games to see what he is made of. I don't think Vaughan has what it takes but I do think Anichebe could become a very important player for us. I think he should be commended on his performance today, out of position, unfit, yet he tried his best and caused them some problems.

Today he did work hard for the team but in general he is fairly lethargic unless the ball comes to him. I remember him playing against Villa where he started and he was brilliant. He chased everything gave the entire back line all game (or at least for however long he was on) and he was upront by himself, a bit like Cahill when he has the bit between his teeth. If he could play with Cahill's energy he would be perfect for us.

I also think Vaughan has the ability to make it at Everton. He has an eye for goal and he has energy in abundance. With Jv and Vic you have power and pace and I hope they get a chance to play alongside each other in the Everton 1st team. The only time I remember it happening was against AZ in the Uefa Cup where Vic set up JV for our third in a bit of brilliant link up play.

The problem is that they both need 1st team game time and with the current squad we have it will be hard for them to get that unless they put in some quality performances from the bench.