IGNORED

Baines In England Squad

MikeO

I'd inclined to believe that there may be more to the Baines story than meets the eye. Either way I have to agree with others and question the merits of some of the selection:

Heskey... I wouldn't pick him if there were only 22 fit other players, never been any good in my opinion. Doesn't score goals EVER! I'd have taken Walcott to run at tired central defenders for the last 10 minutes of games

Carrick... been poor all season. Scott Parker for me, but even he's not been great

Upson... why take 5 central defenders? He's got to be fifth choice so would need a lot of bad luck and injury to even get a game. Should have taken an extra forward player- Adam Johnosn for the left???

Plenty to discuss, just a shame the "players picked on form not reputation" stance crumbled when it came to decision time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be supporting every team that England come up against now, even if it's the German's.

Fuck off back to Italy Capello.

Have to agree with you, I love EFC players which ever country they play for more than those in this England squad

Edited by Gwlad all over

I think my heart went out of the international team when we lost 2 of our best players when they were involved.

Barmby and Rooney.

The last England shirt I bought had Rooney's name on the back... it got burnt!

If it were picked on form, like everybody else has said, I'd be behind them but it stinks really.

Carragher- Awful season, and very much a sunday league bully boy now.

Upson- Never a more over rated centre back (apart from maybe Ferdinand)

Warnock- Not played for England for how long now...

King- Good defender, but a crock

Barry- Injured. Done nothing at City

Carrick- Rubbish season

Wright Phillips- Hardly played

Heskey- Pooh

Would have been nice to have had Bainesy in the squad; would have given me a reason to support England. As it stands, it's gonna be the same old story I'm afraid. The way I see it, only if Rooney is fit, and doesn't get sent off/miss any games are England gonna have any chance. I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise that the England team is nothing but a team of individuals who can not play together.

Just for fun, here's my predictions:

Gerrard will grossly underachieve and have a shocking tournament.

Crouch will score one goal in the group stages in the second half of the second half of their last group game.

Rooney will start off well looking to earn the player of the tournament award, but...

England will go out in the Quarter Finals (not on penalties, for a change - See Last 16 prediction below)

Cole will play well in each game and Warnock won't get a look in (so makes no difference for Baines anyway)

Terry will prove he should have held on to the captaincy as Rio bottles it, and makes a rook of errors.

Lampard will be anonymous for much of the time but will show flashes of what he does at Chelsea

Barry will play one game, before getting injured again and be out for the rest of the tournament.

SWP will play a bit part but will not put one decent cross into the box.

Joe Cole will only be used as a sub. When he comes on, he will look one of England's more impressive players and England will look more dangerous. When England get knocked out people will be asking why he didn't start more.

England will win a game on penalties - progressing from the last 16 into the quarter finals. They'll miss 2 pens, but the opposition will miss 3 - this will be the one positive thing England will take from the tournament.

In one half of football, Jamie Carragher will wrestle three players to ground, stop the ball from crossing the goal line with his hand, wildly kick at an opposing winger - fracturing his shin, and will blatantly bring down a striker in the penalty box. He will be given a yellow card the last offence, but England will be awarded a goal kick.

Baines will come out after the tournament and reveal way he was left out of the squad: something to do with inappropriate sexual advances made by one of the coaching staff.

In England's last game, it will be pouring with rain, Capello will be found on the sidelines hold what suspiciously looks like a umbrella. He will later deny the claims, stating that it was in fact a parasol designed for wet weather. He will quit after the World Cup.

In one half of football, Jamie Carragher will wrestle three players to ground, stop the ball from crossing the goal line with his hand, wildly kick at an opposing winger - fracturing his shin, and will blatantly bring down a striker in the penalty box. He will be given a yellow card the last offence, but England will be awarded a goal kick.

Baines will come out after the tournament and reveal way he was left out of the squad: something to do with inappropriate sexual advances made by one of the coaching staff.

In England's last game, it will be pouring with rain, Capello will be found on the sidelines hold what suspiciously looks like a umbrella. He will later deny the claims, stating that it was in fact a parasol designed for wet weather. He will quit after the World Cup.

This has had me in stitches each time ive read it! Getting some strange looks in the meeting room :D

Would have been nice to have had Bainesy in the squad; would have given me a reason to support England. As it stands, it's gonna be the same old story I'm afraid. The way I see it, only if Rooney is fit, and doesn't get sent off/miss any games are England gonna have any chance. I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise that the England team is nothing but a team of individuals who can not play together.

Just for fun, here's my predictions:

Gerrard will grossly underachieve and have a shocking tournament.

Crouch will score one goal in the group stages in the second half of the second half of their last group game.

Rooney will start off well looking to earn the player of the tournament award, but...

England will go out in the Quarter Finals (not on penalties, for a change - See Last 16 prediction below)

Cole will play well in each game and Warnock won't get a look in (so makes no difference for Baines anyway)

Terry will prove he should have held on to the captaincy as Rio bottles it, and makes a rook of errors.

Lampard will be anonymous for much of the time but will show flashes of what he does at Chelsea

Barry will play one game, before getting injured again and be out for the rest of the tournament.

SWP will play a bit part but will not put one decent cross into the box.

Joe Cole will only be used as a sub. When he comes on, he will look one of England's more impressive players and England will look more dangerous. When England get knocked out people will be asking why he didn't start more.

England will win a game on penalties - progressing from the last 16 into the quarter finals. They'll miss 2 pens, but the opposition will miss 3 - this will be the one positive thing England will take from the tournament.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brilliant

Baines was a shoe in for that squad, until he opened his mouth sounding like a big fucking girl getting homesick for what could be the biggest four weeks of his life.

deep down something makes me think he may have done this on purpose, doesnt seem a confirent lad, maybe the pressure was too much.

Some absolutly disgusting remarks regarding England esp from 'Romey 1878'.

not wanting to throw petrol on your petulance mate but Capello has more football nouse in his little finger then any of us have in thier whole bodies.

sounding like Man U fans with the england hating or red shite supporting other countries coz of a player (mental note RS fans YOU ARE NOT SPANISH, YOU DID NOT WIN EURO 2008!)

Im gutted for Bainsey, flabergahsted at Heskey but at the end of the day the man is picking a squad that he thinks will work the best (the 11 best players arnt always the best team, Real Madrid anyone?)

as for the Juve specualtion, if he is or isnt he's already proved (with england and before) that he is one of the most meticulaous managers there is, he isnt letting anything get in the way.

Patriotism? if we are going by that then lets get Kevin Keegan back hey, im sure that will work out.

Im an everton fan, but im also English. I wasnt around in 66 im desparate to see us win the world cup.

Ill be following all the Blues at the tournament and i hope they have a great time but wether we play south africa, Austriala, USA or any other country sporting one of the boys the wont be a flicker doubt which TEAM ill be shouting for.

COME ON ENGLAND, COME ON CAPELLO, COME ON RIO, COME ON HESKEY and god help my soul for saying this but COME ON ROONEY!!!!!!!!

i personally don't follow the belief you need to be patriotic just because everyone tells you so..if romey feels that way that is upto him and i personally respect anyones choice to be patriotic or not..the biggest annoyance and it has already been mentioned is that capello is a liar and a hypocrite and is basically the david cameron of english football..if somebody doesn't want to support their country that is upto them..nothin to do with football nouse it's about the fact he came in said i'm gonna this, this and this and has completely ignored what he said he would do..why doesn't he just come out and say i'm gonna play the same players if they are playing well or not and ignore anyone else who has a great season(bent) and pick someone who has had a shit career(heskey)! also i'm gonna say the wags can't be around but let them come and be a distraction anyways and ignore another of his 'policies'..stripping terry of the captaincy because of a non-football related incident and then giving it to someone who did something far worse in my opinion which was football related...the man is now a joke and has no support from me..and because of that i am with most here and not that arsed if we win anymore because if we don't he might fuck off

im not patriotic because i dont understand the point of it. Ive lived away from the UK now for 5 years, so i say - if pushed - im european. I would like to think of myself as a citizen of the world, without boarders. But the patriots want to keep the boarders, keep their countries and thus keeping us seperated into groups.

Saying that, i have a lot of respect for those who are patriotic, even if i dont understand it. Especially the guys and gals in the forces who put the lives on the line and have that conviction. But the most important thing is that youre tolerant of other peoples points of view. You dont want to be patriotic, fine. You want to fight for king and country? Fine. Bur respect that others might not.

Ive said it before so i'll say it again, IM SO INTOLERANT OF INTOLERANT PEOPLE! :angry:

im not patriotic because i dont understand the point of it. Ive lived away from the UK now for 5 years, so i say - if pushed - im european. I would like to think of myself as a citizen of the world, without boarders. But the patriots want to keep the boarders, keep their countries and thus keeping us seperated into groups.

Saying that, i have a lot of respect for those who are patriotic, even if i dont understand it. Especially the guys and gals in the forces who put the lives on the line and have that conviction. But the most important thing is that youre tolerant of other peoples points of view. You dont want to be patriotic, fine. You want to fight for king and country? Fine. Bur respect that others might not.

Ive said it before so i'll say it again, IM SO INTOLERANT OF INTOLERANT PEOPLE! :angry:

It's different with sports though. In sports you can support your country beyond any reason because it's supposed to be a catharsis. For example I agree with your point of view regarding boarders, but whenever we play Germany in a sport I'm shouting "kill the krauts!!" at the TV. I love how a whole stadium sings the anthem of their country and then goes crazy when their team scores. Patriotism is only irritating when it spills over to "real life", but in sports : go crazy.

Edited by holystove

Im disgusted with the England set up as well. I feel really bad for Leighton, he must be in absolute pieces and his confidence must be shattered. To play him in two games, the 1st he did well and the 2nd not so, have a great season and provide lots of assists (not to mention a few nearly goals after hiting the post etc) he loses out to Warnock. Now I dont necessarily think Warnock is a bad player but I would say he is similar defensively (maybe better in the air) but not in the same class going forward, or in his delivery. I really hope baines doesnt take it to heart and comes back and has another great season for us!

Most of all Im not happy with Capello himself mainly because of his abandonment of his philosophies as others have said. Carragher shouldnt be anywhere near the squad for starters, Heskey was the most out of form of all the big strong strikers, SWP & Carrick (and even barry) have all been poor when they have played. Parker has a great season and doesnt even get a chance, nor has Dawson.

Im very dissapointed with it all and I wont really give a toss as to what happens with England. I will be following the yanks, aussies and dutch (not the Nigerians after they did the same thing with Vic) and I hope they all do well (especially the yanks against England). Im surprised myself that I feel like this as I have always supported the national team (less so with mcclaren) even without Everton players in the frame.

In my opinion Baines was truly terrible against Mexico. Putting aside thoughts about how much support/cover he did or didn't get, his performance was not even close to being good enough at that level. That was against Mexico, let alone the likes of Spain, Argentina and Brazil. Don't get me wrong, I really feel for Baines, but objectively that performance was poor.

Warnock is no better.

To my mind the whole debate about the England left back slot (as back up to Ashley Cole) simply emphasises the behaviour of John Terry. Wayne Bridge was an innocent party in that whole scenario and then feels obliged to withdraw from the squad when he is clearly the 2nd best left back that England have.

In my opinion Baines was truly terrible against Mexico. Putting aside thoughts about how much support/cover he did or didn't get, his performance was not even close to being good enough at that level. That was against Mexico, let alone the likes of Spain, Argentina and Brazil. Don't get me wrong, I really feel for Baines, but objectively that performance was poor.

Warnock is no better.

To my mind the whole debate about the England left back slot (as back up to Ashley Cole) simply emphasises the behaviour of John Terry. Wayne Bridge was an innocent party in that whole scenario and then feels obliged to withdraw from the squad when he is clearly the 2nd best left back that England have.

Wayne Bridge is definately no better!

Baines has gone up against some of the best players in the World in the Premiership and very rarely has he been found wanting. I agree he had a terrible game against Mexico and some of his 1v1 play (which is normally good) was poor. However most of that game he was up against 2 players and had ledley king inside him who wasnt very good either.

Wayne Bridge is definately no better!

Baines has gone up against some of the best players in the World in the Premiership and very rarely has he been found wanting. I agree he had a terrible game against Mexico and some of his 1v1 play (which is normally good) was poor. However most of that game he was up against 2 players and had ledley king inside him who wasnt very good either.

Spot on Bailey.

I dont see how anyone is using the game against Mexico as an example, the entire team were terrible, Baines no exception but he wasnt the worst player on the pitch, not by a long way. He was hung out to dry that game with no support from Milner and King meandering around inside him. The entire team against Japan was rubbish too.

End of the day, Capello caved, chose to pick the names rather than the players (if that makes sense). Warnock got in because Bridge pussied out and Warnock showed he was a big boy by not getting upset at the idea of being away from home for 4 weeks. He wont play anyway, Cole is a bigger name and in this case a better player (i still think he is overrated).