IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Just want to make things clear whilst some fans may get excited and go and get his name on the yellow kit just cos he hasn't stated his need to go to a better club..... for once.

dont think many would be honest. I think with the team koeman is setting up the striker is the icing on the cake, not the whole cake. I think he wants the players who can make the chances first

Boys on Match of the Day say he's staying too.

If Koeman can get 20 - 25 leagues out of him and a full season, then fair enough.

So long as he scores the goals and doesn't act like he is doing us a favour, then we'll settle for that.

He really needs to work hard to build those burnt bridges though.

(Although I still won't believe it until September 1st!)

Just want to make things clear whilst some fans may get excited and go and get his name on the yellow kit just cos he hasn't stated his need to go to a better club..... for once.

if it needed to be more clear for someone, I'm assuming they probably need Velcro shoes because tying their shoelaces is too complex...

For me... footballing ability aside. What he did in March was a fuckin disgrace. The club were in an FA cup semi, fighting to secure safety and all he was doing was spouting shit.

I called it at the time that he would down tools and he most certainly did. Once you do that you can't allow selective effort to get you goals in games you deem important. A striker needs to want it in every game in order to stay Sharp. I recall Robbie fowler saying that his dad used to tell him "pretend every game is your last one"...

Attitude is pretty much everything. Most footballers these days have the mental scars of knock backs, failed trials, hours of needing to build up in the gym.... this lad has had it easy and it shows.

Really? I must've missed all that :P

No, I'm pretty much reminding people of what he's all about.

It's amazing how a couple of goals may get some easily persuaded fans to break into a chorus of "rom-a-rom-a-loo" telling the lad next to them "yeah I know he was a bit of a nob doing what he did but he was just showing ambition lad...."

He is who he is. Don't be expecting a personality change. He doesn't love Everton, many players feel it straight away... he hasn't in 3 years.

There's a description in HR that typifies the behaviours of contingent employees... they never embrace the culture of the company because they do not see themselves as permanent... whether it's their choice or the companies. Some temporary workers smash their targets in order to be made permanent. Many become disengaged, refuse to allow themselves to embed the culture. They turn up and pick up their wages whilst always looking for their next move. Rom may have been signed on a permanent contract.... but he made it clear in his mind he was temporary... he has made the fans know this too.

Conditionally temporary, depending on whether or not we won stuff. We didn't, we were playing shit and on a downward slope

Had the team actually performed to its potential, and we won something, maybe he wouldn't have spouted off.

"Had the team performed to its potential and we won something"

Maybe if lukaku wasn't so abysmally shit and bottled it in the fa cup semi final after piping up so much we may have won something.

The same was said by Belgian fans in his no show versus Wales.

There is absolutely no excuse for Lukaku doing what he did. He wasn't player of the year, he wasn't carrying the team. He never created his own goals bar a couple.

Time to stop excusing this idiot Matt. He's been at it since the get go here. If you want to play for Everton get your head down and keep your mouth shut. If you don't then speak to the manager and let business be conducted between clubs- not the media.

Edited by Hafnia

Haf...I know you like to tell people how it is...but this is the real reality. Forget HR whatever.

IF Koeman has decided he wants to keep him, if Koeman has decided he brings value to the team, if Koeman has decided we are better with him than without him...then that's what we settle for. From Koemans interviews, he very much wants him. If we are trusting his judgment, and praising it, in signings, we have to here too.

Personally, I think Lukaku has been a great big tit. Very badly advised. Had his arse licked by an agent looking for a huge pay day. And what he has done makes me feel real frustrated. Almost kicking the dog while it was down.

Personally, I think he has to do a lot to 'win' back many fans. The only way to do that is to play well and score plenty of goals (hit his targets).

He doesn't need to love the club (or the 'company'), he just needs to make sure he does what is required of him (meet his 'performance contract').

And again, personally, I don't think this is done just yet. But IF he does stay, he has my support, for the teams sake. It doesn't mean I like what he did, it doesn't mean all is forgotten and it doesn't mean I think he is a great player. But he will get praise when it is due.

I'm sure that whatever happens will be for the best of the club as it stands now.

Newty I'm with you. But! We have had enough problems with outside forces degrading Everton over the years trying to belittle us. We signed him for £28m... which is a huge outlay for a young raw lad. Then he pipes up more or less saying we are a small club....

He ain't such a big fish and we ain't no small pond.

Last 15 games for Everton = zero goals. Let him digest that.

Haf...I know you like to tell people how it is...but this is the real reality. Forget HR whatever.

IF Koeman has decided he wants to keep him, if Koeman has decided he brings value to the team, if Koeman has decided we are better with him than without him...then that's what we settle for. From Koemans interviews, he very much wants him. If we are trusting his judgment, and praising it, in signings, we have to here too.

Personally, I think Lukaku has been a great big tit. Very badly advised. Had his arse licked by an agent looking for a huge pay day. And what he has done makes me feel real frustrated. Almost kicking the dog while it was down.

Personally, I think he has to do a lot to 'win' back many fans. The only way to do that is to play well and score plenty of goals (hit his targets).

He doesn't need to love the club (or the 'company'), he just needs to make sure he does what is required of him (meet his 'performance contract').

And again, personally, I don't think this is done just yet. But IF he does stay, he has my support, for the teams sake. It doesn't mean I like what he did, it doesn't mean all is forgotten and it doesn't mean I think he is a great player. But he will get praise when it is due.

I'm sure that whatever happens will be for the best of the club as it stands now.

Spot on.

bingo

And Haf, I'm not excusing him. I'm pointing out that it's not as simple as pointing a finger at the lad and implying it's all his fault.

bingo

And Haf, I'm not excusing him. I'm pointing out that it's not as simple as pointing a finger at the lad and implying it's all his fault.

Who's fault is it? He's a grown man who signed a 5 year contract. He was barely setting the games alight and despite the fact that he was contracted to us and we had key he games left to play he verbally and emotionally downed tools.

Does the world revolve around Romelu and what he wants? Maybe if he never had his head so firmly wedged up his own arse he could help his team rather than just say ah well I've got my 15 goals... job done.

It was a complete and utter betrayal of the team, the fans, and Everton F.C as a whole.

Straight from the off he had people making excuses for him and one by one as each new interview leak came out he made those who tried to offer explanations look daft.

He came out with some complete and utter bullshit. After a semi final game where he more or less single handedly blew 4 golden opportunities plus a penno to take us through he then spouts some shit about not doing his warm up as he was gazing at Leicester's premier league trophy thinking "this is what I want" then he proceeded to offer another display typifies why title contending clubs will not be in for him.

He just does the see the big picture. He's not a team player. His attitude is all about him and what he wants.

One day he will look back at his time with us with regret as no other club will put up with his shit. He will realise how good he had it here. That's when he does go after he graciously said he may give us another year.

You've got a complex, you really have.

I've repeatedly said its Martinez who was at fault, or was a coincidence that all the squad (bar 2-3) turned into a pile of crap?

Complex??? I'm not the one who looks for any opportunity to defend the lad. I mainly seize opportunities to slate him but they are at least relevant!

Martinez of all people deserved Lukaku to repay his overwhelming and sometimes ridiculous faith in him. Lukaku was a complete shit house and whatever you think of martinez as a manager the one player who should have pulled his tripe out for him was lukaku.

Martinez backed the lad when he was playing shite, he pimped him up, tried all sorts of partnerships and formation changes to get the best out of him. We can blame martinez for alot of things. Lukaku can't.

After his disastrous semi final martinez defended Rom. I don't see him getting the same protection from Koeman. The man child better man up... cos I think big Ron has his number.

Don't know why I bother...

Ditto.

You say that it's not all Lukakus fault as if his discontent was all down to the results... it wasn't. He's been doing this year on year. It's not an isolated event Matt.

The very fact he said he may do another year?! I mean What fuckin planet is he on? If we don't sell he goes no where. He is only in control of doing another year if there was only one year remaining on his deal. There isn't. He really is a different breed to what I see an Everton player as being.... maybe that's why I've never seen him as one.

Ditto.

You say that it's not all Lukakus fault as if his discontent was all down to the results... it wasn't. He's been doing this year on year. It's not an isolated event Matt.

The very fact he said he may do another year?! I mean What fuckin planet is he on? If we don't sell he goes no where. He is only in control of doing another year if there was only one year remaining on his deal. There isn't. He really is a different breed to what I see an Everton player as being.... maybe that's why I've never seen him as one.

i have criticised Rom several times, I wanted him gone even, when I feel it's deserved (which is a fraction of the time you seem to) and I usually end up "excusing" him because you are almost waiting for the slightest excuse to jump on him whilst ignoring any other possibilities as to why things may have happened. No one gets even a 10th of the criticism, so yeah, a complex/obsession/whatever.

Motivation is not soley down to a player. It's the managers job to get his team going and when a manager is letting players off the hook, especially young players, you see a massive decline in their play. Barkely, Stones, McCarthy all suffered from the same shitty management, as did some of the more senior staff (Baines, Mirallas, Coleman as examples). All of them want to win, could see we weren't going anywhere fast and lost faith. All of those mentioned and more suffered shit management and I think only Barry and Jags were seasoned enough to keep their heads.

So, I defend aspirational, ambitious players who had had enough of a man and his boring, ineffective "philosophy" who I know will improve under the right tutorage against over the top (in my eyes) blame for all the problems of the squad.

i have criticised Rom several times, I wanted him gone even, when I feel it's deserved (which is a fraction of the time you seem to) and I usually end up "excusing" him because you are almost waiting for the slightest excuse to jump on him whilst ignoring any other possibilities as to why things may have happened. No one gets even a 10th of the criticism, so yeah, a complex/obsession/whatever.

Motivation is not soley down to a player. It's the managers job to get his team going and when a manager is letting players off the hook, especially young players, you see a massive decline in their play. Barkely, Stones, McCarthy all suffered from the same shitty management, as did some of the more senior staff (Baines, Mirallas, Coleman as examples). All of them want to win, could see we weren't going anywhere fast and lost faith. All of those mentioned and more suffered shit management and I think only Barry and Jags were seasoned enough to keep their heads.

So, I defend aspirational, ambitious players who had had enough of a man and his boring, ineffective "philosophy" who I know will improve under the right tutorage against over the top (in my eyes) blame for all the problems of the squad.

I repeat again.... it was not just last season that he has done this. He does it even when things are good.

I repeat again.... it was not just last season that he has done this. He does it even when things are good.

ok dude, leave it there. Doesn't usually get more peaceful than that and I've finally found a good place so don't want to be arguing the impossible argument ;)

Not sure how a newspaper quote, in Holland, of RK speaking can be seen as Lukaku arrogantly saying that he'll bless us with another season.

Firstly there is the media poetic licence aspect, and secondly, we don't know the context in which RK asked Lukaku. For example:

RK; "Will you stay another season Romelu?"

Lukaku; "At least, yes"

He's let us down for sure, but let's not allow folklore to grab the few quotes he did make and twist them to something entirely different.

From memory, and I may have missed or forgotten stuff, he said on one occasion that he wanted to be playing for a CL team next season. Not a wise statement but a very honest one, and which player would honestly say no if asked?

Secondly, I recall him saying in July that he knew where he wanted to be next season, but nothing more specific than that. Could that have been here at Everton? Maybe.

If I have missed other bits (from him and not his oddball Dad or overzealous agent) then I'm sure someone could point them out, and I would be eager to see them in order to have a fuller picture.

Edit: for clarity, not trying to defend him here. Don't disagree with any comments pointing towards the fact that he ought to consider himself lucky to be here and to be given the leeway that he seems to be given, or that his effort at times was way short of what is to be expected from a pro.

Edited by Baba