IGNORED

Aston Villa (away)

dark

Heartfelt post Richard....and a lot of good stuff in it.

But Moyes was ridiculed in some quarters in the Wet Spam match for not making the late defensive substitution...which cost us the three points apparently.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

He's been a lot better in recent years imo....we used to have the horrifically defensive substitutions in drawn home games with half an hour to go. That doesn't happen anymore.

But I feel your pain (Amsterdam? Thought you were in Hong Kong or somewhere like that :mellow: ).

Mike...supporter since 67/68....beat you by a year or two :P .

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rusty747

Hong Kong a few weeks ago. Arrived in Amsterdam from Nairobi earlier today. Off to Bangalore tomorrow, then to Dubai for the weekends footie. Sadly, it's all work, not pleasure though I think I have engineered a suitable window to watch the next attempt at snatching a draw from the jaws of victory.

West

Newton Hurst Labone Wright

Harvey Kendall Ball

Whittle Royle Husband

Rankin

Morrisey

Brown

Kenyon

Now thats a team who knew how to defend from the front.

Southall

Stevens Ratcliffe Mountfield Van den Hauwe

Steven Reid Bracewell Sheedy

Sharp Gray

Mimms

Harper

Heath

Richardson

Would have ruled Europe if we could have entered the European Cup in 85/86

Ruddy

Coleman Jags Duffy/Muntari Baines

Peanuts Mikky Johnny H (capt) Billy

Cahill

Jukebox/25 goals a season big name signing

Howard

Hibbo

Distin

Ossie

Yak

Saha

Vic

Rodders

Who knows?

Would have ruled Europe if we could have entered the European Cup in 85/86

We're not allowed to say that (even though it's indesputably true to anyone with a passing knowledge of the game) because it makes us "bitter " apparently :) .

And I'd always start Johnny Morrissey ahead of Alan Whittle, much as I loved him :) .

Next season....who know indeed...but we may just be on the verge on something special. You and I have seen success, along with a few others on here....I'd love for the younger lads to get a taste of it. Nothing quite like it :D .

(Had a glass or two of the fizzy stuff so I'm getting all sentimental :crying_anim: )

Rusty, thank you!

I'm grateful to Moyes for taking us from relegation candidates to a top 7 side, but his tactics leave a lot to be desired and is something that pisses me off pretty much every single game. He is far too negative. We get infront, usually after dominating the game up until that point, and sit on it when we should be killing games off (as I've said in another thread recently). This, IMO, is what separates us from the top sides. Does he not like hammering teams? Does he want us all nervous wrecks as the oppositon pound us? How can he not realise that it puts undue pressure on the players? Argh, it's infuriating and I find myself just waiting for the inevitable - an equaliser, and it invariably arrives and I'm not surprised.

We have the players now that can play, not simply kick the shit out of the opposition, so, like you said Rusty, trust them and let them play!

i dont see why you are crying out for a new centre back as we have johnny if you dont like distin and also yobo still around duffy to come through. and muntari at cb..? he's a centre/left mid so he certainly won't do anythin there

as for the defensive thing yeah ok it may have cost us yesterday but we attacked against west ham 2-1 up and look what happened...i was as pissed off as anyone and still am but it happens if we had attacked and they scored on the break what would you be saying then? as mike said damned if you do damned if you don't..they got lucky and thats it nothing else

We're not allowed to say that (even though it's indesputably true to anyone with a passing knowledge of the game) because it makes us "bitter " apparently :) .

And I'd always start Johnny Morrissey ahead of Alan Whittle, much as I loved him :) .

Next season....who know indeed...but we may just be on the verge on something special. You and I have seen success, along with a few others on here....I'd love for the younger lads to get a taste of it. Nothing quite like it :D .

(Had a glass or two of the fizzy stuff so I'm getting all sentimental :crying_anim: )

I was only a wee nipper in the 80's but at work (bearing in mind out of an office of about 35 and the fact where near Grimsby there are 7 Everton here) they always tell me that we would have dominated Europe and England for seasons to come. Bit like United have in the Prem. However, my boss a Spurs fan for 40 years disagrees he says we were a good side but only "as" good as Liverpool who he reckons would have probably still won titles/cups rather than us win the majority.

RE: Last night, I think if you look back on this post alot of fans had us down for a draw even a defeat so not to have lost is a bonus. Yes I am disappointed we've thrown a lead away again but I still remember the beginning of the season & the game at Hull were I saw the worst Everton performance Iv seen for a long time then look where we are now.

Maybe not being in Europe next season (even tho I havent given up hope) will be a blessing in disguise? Harry Redknapp said last season he didnt want to go into Europe & look how Spurs are doing....

A decent performance let down by sloppy defending for both goals. I thought we played the better football, even had Villa fans agreeing that they rely to much on the long ball for Carew. I thought Moyes had it pretty much spot in last night, even with the introduction of Saha at the right time to pep things up, however we let them off the hook by throwing on another defender after they had gone to three at the back, leaving massive spaces for our quicker players, Pienaar and Rofwell showed that, to exploit. I missed the Young challenge but people around me said he should have been shown the red, so must be some substance in it. Overall, earlier in the season we would have bitten hands off for a draw but last night, shows how far we have come this season, by being disappointed with a point.

It would have been different if Heitinga didn't get insured as he was breaking up play nicely. I for one didn't mind the substitution of Bily as I thought he had a terrible game and looks devoid of any confidence/commitment (I was at the game and am talking about all of his play, off the ball as well!) I don't like moaning or singling out a player but his touch was poor this game, and didn't offer himself as an option often. Second guessing Moyes I believe Rodwell would have come on for Bily if for the injury to Heitinga and with that substitution I'd have been confident we would have won! Gutted - but at least my car didn't get clamped!

Edited by barryj

On one of the footy forums I am a member of there is alot of Villa fans & Iv been having an argument/discussion with them and they all think Young's challenge was OK & certainly not a red card. They also thought that the ref gave them nothing all night and may as well of had an Everton shirt on?

Strange how 2 sets of fans see the games??