IGNORED

Aston Villa (away)

dark

Not expecting much from this to be honest and if we don't get at least a point Europe is totally out of the window. I'm expecting Everton to come out frustrated from the West Ham game and hopefully put in a good shift against Aston Villa. We will need to have our wits about us and maybe the game on Saturday gave them to kick up the arse they needed - who knows?

I think that all in all we will come away with a point, 1-1. Saha to score after a well fought game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliché but if ever there was a "must win" this is it....a point would leave us four behind them with only four games left to their five. Too much to do from there and I think Villa are our only realistic target.

Not confident we can do it at all but it has to be given 100%, team talk and attitude need to be the same as it seems to have been before the United game.

Dont think we can pass Villa (Game in Hand), but its not beyond us to pass Liverpool who have to play Chelsea yet.

If that can be done it would be a terrific achievement considering the horrible start to the season that we had.

But of course this all depends on getting full points from our remaining games.

Seeing as this is a "big game" compared to the last two I think we'll see a fantastic performance from our squad. Not a single person here honestly expected to take points from either Manure or Chelski...it seems the big games bring out the best in our squad. I think everyone will put in a shift at we'll take it 2-0.

Wouldn't be surprised if we did win this one, but then would fully expect us to drop points against Blackburn or Stoke. I just get the feeling we've run out of chances now, it was always a big ask to turnaround the poor start we had but in the end I think the lack of a ruthless streak against the likes of Wolves and West Ham is gonna mean the season peters out into disappointment. Villa are in the same boat, they lack a killer edge on a consistent basis. This will be all about who wants it most, and with Moyes giving it the old last, last, lastest chance saloon treatment in the dressing room, I fancy our chances.

2-1 us.

Gonna throw some (pessimistic) double psychology in here.

No one expected us to get results against Chelsea or Manu, best games bring out the best in our squad, no one expected to drop points against wolves, west ham, stoke etc. ??

Well, my prediction, we'll lose: This is as bluenose said, a relatively 'big game' - possiblilty to get right up behind Villa & L'pool for European qualification - therefore we are now expecting us to put in a performance and turn up for this 'big game'. However, by expecting us to turn up and get a result means that we'll walk away with nothing. This has got a loss all over it. 2-0, 3-0 to them, seriously, maybe more. Stay in bed boys next Wednesday (or get an early night), cos it ain't going to be nice to watch.

(On a brighter note, every time I've predicted a loss this season, well... let's just say I'm tempting fate ;) )

Gonna throw some (pessimistic) double psychology in here.

No one expected us to get results against Chelsea or Manu, best games bring out the best in our squad, no one expected to drop points against wolves, west ham, stoke etc. ??

Well, my prediction, we'll lose: This is as bluenose said, a relatively 'big game' - possiblilty to get right up behind Villa & L'pool for European qualification - therefore we are now expecting us to put in a performance and turn up for this 'big game'. However, by expecting us to turn up and get a result means that we'll walk away with nothing. This has got a loss all over it. 2-0, 3-0 to them, seriously, maybe more. Stay in bed boys next Wednesday (or get an early night), cos it ain't going to be nice to watch.

(On a brighter note, every time I've predicted a loss this season, well... let's just say I'm tempting fate ;) )

It might be a big game for Villa but its just an end of season friendly for us with no significance on it what so ever so hopefully that will put to bed your theory and we will get the win !

It might be a big game for Villa but its just an end of season friendly for us with no significance on it what so ever...

We can still potentially finish on 65 points....I'd be amazed if that's not enough for seventh at worst (7th place points totals this decade...53, 58, 56, 58, 55, 53, 59, 53 & 57).

And then there's the fact that every place is worth about an extra £500,000 in prize money...it's a lot more than a friendly.

It might be a big game for Villa but its just an end of season friendly for us with no significance on it what so ever so hopefully that will put to bed your theory and we will get the win !

The way I see it's a crucial six pointer. If we win, then we've still got something to play for this season, admittedly, we're depending a lot on other people's results, but we'll be just 1 point behind them and even with their game in hand they've got tricky games against City and Brum. If we lose then I think that will certainly be our season over, 7 points behind with four games to go. Mind you saying that, all this talk about 7th getting us into Europe may all come to nothing.

There's still a chance Spurs could finish 5th and win the FA Cup, or for that matter Villa as well. And then we'd need to finish in at least 6th spot. Either way by this time next week we'll either be excited or deflated.

There's still a chance Spurs could finish 5th and win the FA Cup....

Why would that be a problem :mellow: ?

7th would still be a Europa place...the only realistic scenario for 7th to be not enough is if Villa take the FA Cup place and then finish out of the top seven in the league.

The way I understand it, a Europa league place only goes down to seventh if the FA cup winner has already qualified for the Champs League. Same with the League cup (that's why 6th is good enough, cos Utd will (certainly) finish in Champs League position).

Is that wrong?

Edit: the only other option I'm aware of for Europe League qualification is through the Fair Play system, but we've no chance there, we're 11th in Premiership Fair Play Table.

Edited by wallwriter

if we play like we did last week, nothing but misery will ensue. not expecting anything following the last 2 performances. Im still sick so forgive me for not bubblin with optimism. maybe i could get some of that humble pie that was going around a few weeks ago, that'd make me better....

The way I understand it, a Europa league place only goes down to seventh if the FA cup winner has already qualified for the Champs League. Same with the League cup (that's why 6th is good enough, cos Utd will (certainly) finish in Champs League position).

Is that wrong?

Yes because if Spurs were to win the cup and finish fifth in the league then they'll have qualified twice, so unless they get to enter their reserves it opens up another place :) .

Euro places (as I understand)...

1st-4th = champs league

5th = europa

6th = europa (as man.utd won carling cup)

FA Cup winners/runners-up (if villa) or 7th (if any of other 3) = europa (as chelsea/spurs are already likely to qualify for europe and pompy are ineligible due to administration)

I think Chelsea will beat Villa tomorrow and therefore I think it's a 2-horse race (excuse the topical pun) for the last Europa place between us and villa.

Whatever happened to the intertoto cup??? also if it's a Shite vs Hamburg final and them lot win does that earn us (prem) another place? (obviously Fulham would take it if they were in final and not qualifying through league).

...also if it's a Shite vs Hamburg final and them lot win does that earn us (prem) another place? (obviously Fulham would take it if they were in final and not qualifying through league).

No (and yes :unsure: ). The only way we could get a fourth entrant into the Europa League would be if the winners were an English team who failed to qualify for next season's through their domestic performance. Means that if Fulham were to win it and finish (say) tenth in the league we'd still have the three places available and Fulham would also be in as holders.....same would obviously apply if Liverpool won it and finished eighth.

The Intertoto is no more.

We can still potentially finish on 65 points....I'd be amazed if that's not enough for seventh at worst (7th place points totals this decade...53, 58, 56, 58, 55, 53, 59, 53 & 57).

And then there's the fact that every place is worth about an extra £500,000 in prize money...it's a lot more than a friendly.

Yeah fair enough its still mathematically possible but I cant see us winning all our remaining fixtures and even then we will be relying on Villa to repeat last seasons comple compitulation

I suppose it would be typically Everton though to do it the hard way!

To be honest though I am starting to come around to the idea that a season without European football might do us the world of good, as long as Piennar signing a new contract doesnt depend on it, as I still dont think our squad is big enough to handle it

To be honest though I am starting to come around to the idea that a season without European football might do us the world of good, as long as Piennar signing a new contract doesnt depend on it, as I still dont think our squad is big enough to handle it

Didn't you hear? We don't need to make signings because this squad can beat anyone ;).

Not so sure about this one now. European qualification is all Villa have left to play for after bombing out of the FA Cup. Hopefully their squad doesn't respond to bitter disappointment like ours does and we come away with a win, but I'm not terrible confident. Here's hoping Mikky makes a start.