IGNORED

Lionel Messi

• 6 years later...

He's quitting as an Argentine international. He says it didn't work out for him. You see it often that a big star doesn't quite live up to it in their national squads. Ronaldo, Hazard, Messi... They're under such great pressure.

Ronaldo keeps going for it, though. And he's getting better and better bit by bit at Portugal. Upon Kompany's injury, Hazard was given the captain's armband at his national team and suddenly unleashed his class. Messi... well Messi gave up. We'd be criticizing the living daylight out of Ronaldo if he did this, but he didn't. Good guy Ronaldo.

Even if Messi isn't as likely to be judged like Ronaldo... I still just wanna draw some attention to the element of expectation and pressure. Even someone as (over?) decorated as Messi can still feel like he's not living up to some of these expectations. I think the presence of Suarez and Neymar have relieved him a bit on club-level. Being called the world's best by most of the people is very flattering and all that,... but damn for a man expected to perform to that standard week in week out, that's heavy stuff, no matter how much talent you got.

And Maradonna wasn't as good as Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

(who also wasn't a drug taking cheat)

I 'think' maradona was better than Pele however my opinion is not as valid here as I never got to see him play at the time. I have seen many clips etc. So yeah I may need to concede to the old arses here! Sorry!

just don't think he's up there with the best, if you can't hack it internationally you don't belong on the list. Pele, Maradona, Zidane, etc never had issues internationally, in fact they stepped it up a notch.

retiring after another failing? why don't you strap that team to your back and win something? that's why maradona gives him so much shit, he can't handle the pressure.

just don't think he's up there with the best, if you can't hack it internationally you don't belong on the list. Pele, Maradona, Zidane, etc never had issues internationally, in fact they stepped it up a notch.

retiring after another failing? why don't you strap that team to your back and win something? that's why maradona gives him so much shit, he can't handle the pressure.

It's a team game, and besides, he's tiny!

It's a team game, and besides, he's tiny!

look at Bale, look at ronaldo, look at Sanchez, their sides aren't great, and they are able to get them going. Messi's side is awesome! Otamendi, Funes Mori, Masherano, Aguero, etc. How the F can't they win? dude never shows up in the big games, World Cup and both Copa Americas.