IGNORED

Newcastle United (Home)

dark

You can't rely on statistics like that to judge it. If you hit a long ball and your player gets a flick on that will be considered a pass completed. The problem is it got us nowhere as Newcastle were generally able to get back possession straight after the flick ons. That was the problem.

Yeah, but that's when we were most dangerous: when we were playing long balls. We had a good period in the second half when we were really upping the tempo, just dropping balls into the box. We played possession football most of the first half, or at least we tried, but Pienaar, Felli and especially Arteta kept giving the ball away, screwing up easy passes. You should then look at a Plan B. And I agree hoof ball isn't easy on the eye but it can get you results.

PS:

Have a look at Distin's passes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

He gave 4 long balls, 3 of which were headed on.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but that's when we were most dangerous: when we were playing long balls. We had a good period in the second half when we were really upping the tempo, just dropping balls into the box. We played possession football most of the first half, or at least we tried, but Pienaar, Felli and especially Arteta kept giving the ball away, screwing up easy passes. You should then look at a Plan B. And I agree hoof ball isn't easy on the eye but it can get you results.

PS:

Have a look at Distin's passes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

He gave 4 long balls, 3 of which were headed on.

I know what you're saying mate, but playing like that just can't be a solution. Distin wasn't the only culprit, as Jagielka and Howard were both doing it as well (I had a look at the chalkboards). Not sure it was our most dangerous period, because a half-decent defence can (and today did) deal with it easy enough, even if the ball drops in awkward places from time to time. I agree the first half the midfielders were also losing the ball, but if we have to resort to long balls to try and scrape a draw against Newcastle then we really are in shit.

I know what you're saying mate, but playing like that just can't be a solution. Distin wasn't the only culprit, as Jagielka and Howard were both doing it as well (I had a look at the chalkboards). Not sure it was our most dangerous period, because a half-decent defence can (and today did) deal with it easy enough, even if the ball drops in awkward places from time to time. I agree the first half the midfielders were also losing the ball, but if we have to resort to long balls to try and scrape a draw against Newcastle then we really are in shit.

We are. Haven't you noticed yet? You should have a look at the table then :P

Anyway, here's to hoping we beat Fulham with good football (though I would mind for shit if we do it by lumping the ball forward to Fellaini)!

Don't know what the ranting about Distin is all about today. He was shit last week, but today he was one of the best players for us on the pitch. He made some brilliant tackles and held up at least a couple counters while Jags got back. Surely 1 missed long ball can be forgiven, and 4 long passes hardly counts as a worthless dependence on hoofball. And I don't recall who said it, but someone mentioned Felli as a shout for being arsed today?!?! :blink: He was awful, didn't win a single challenge without immediately losing the ball.

Howard- did well enough, can't be blamed for the goal.

Baines- where was he? Again gave to much space and was sloppy going forward.

Distin- deserves a shout for MOTM today, defended well and held the ball mostly and even made a few runs forward.

Jagielka- was alright, don't remember any blinders.

Hibbo- defended very well, would have preferred to see him stay on.

Coleman (for Hibbo)- was our only bright spot going forward today and defended very well. PACE! my MOTM

Pienaar- sloppy, but at least I can say Pienaar looked like he wanted to play.

Heitinga- Worthless in midfield. He was absolutely awful, terrible, disgusting, abysmal. Contributed nothing but poor challenges.

Bily (for Heitinga)- my faith in bily is waning. I still want to believe he can be the Bilyaletdinov of the youtube videos we've all seen. who knows, but he didn't do anything except take a couple throw-ins and loose possession in the box today.

Arteta- sloppy, slow, bad captain.

Fellaini- went through stages of disinterest and heart, however was sloppy all day. Not an advanced midfielder and I'm baffled that, after dec-feb last year Moyes thinks to play him there?!?! :blink:

Osman- Awful today, missed one sitter and wasted two other chances, didn't offer anything original to Coleman on the right.

Beckford- was fine for me, needs to be played in a 4-4-2. he makes great runs and had a shout for a pen today. would have preferred to see osman off and play him and yak up top, they could be a good partnership. he's still got potential for me.

Yakubu (for Beckford)- Played very well, still looks a bit heavy, but it doesn't affect his play. gets a shout from me for MOTM and with a goal it would have been his.

Moyes- abysmal. today, more than any other day I've seen showed how awful a manager he can be. It's weird, I'm usually a huge fan of his and have, on occasion called him the best manager in the prem save Fergie. But he's proving me wrong every week. Luck has nothing to do with it anymore, we need to win next week. If we don't comprehensively destroy Fulham, or at least scrape out a win in extra time, Moyes needs to go. He has assembled a brilliant squad that any other manager would be proud to have, but he clearly has no idea what to do with them now that they're all fit and he must make actual selections.

Fuck off Moyes. Moyes should be very worried about his job because he's got fuck all to hide beind this season, it's all on him this bad start because of his shit team selections and shocking substitutions. I've fucking had enough. So much expectation for this season because we've got a truly cracking squad and he's pissing it up the wall because he hasn't got the balls to actually USE the squad. Instead, he's shitting out of making the big decisions by playing players out of position just so he can fit as many of them into the starting 11 as possible. That's not right, that doesn't make players earn their spot in the side, that doesn't take advantage of having competition for places and FORCING the players to up their game. Moyes is a shithouse who doesn't have a clue when it comes to tactics, picking a good starting 11, and making the right substitutions when we're in the shit. FFS, just play players in their BEST positions, its not fucking rocket science!

Fellaini should have played DM, and we should have either played two upfront or played Bily behind the striker and given him a free role where I think he'd absolutely thrive. Heitinga should have been dropped back into defence and Distin or Jagielka should make way. We had the dream team of Osman and Hibbert on the right which was never going to work. Why? Because it never fucking has. It's not like that was the first time Moyes has played them together and they've looked like Beavis and Butthead. When he brought Coleman on he should have taken Osman off, not Hibbert. By playing Coleman at RB he almost completely nullified Coleman's attacking threat because he had to worry about the superb Enrique and Ben Arfa. Hibbert should have stayed RB because he could cover the defensive side and Coleman would have been causing THEM a problem instead. How can Moyes not see all of this?

That being said, the players themselves hardly covered themselves in glory today. They couldn't string two passes together. We simply refused to close down and gave them acres of space to play in, and that cost us for their goal because our midfield backed off and backed off. Not only that but they refused to fucking tackle as well! No heart, no fight, no skill, no nothing. I'm just angry at everything about the game today.

Howard - Could do nothing about their goal and that's about all there is to say about his game.

Hibbert - Poo going forward but there was nothing wrong with his defensive game and he should never have been taken off.

Jagielka - Absolutely awful, seriously. He'd do all the hard work of winning the ball back and then he'd play a sloppy pass putting us right in the shit. And his constant hoofing to no one in particular was infuriating.

Distin - The best of a bad bunch at the back and probably held things together.

Baines - Poor going forward and didn't link up at all well with Pienaar today. Shit defensively too.

Osman - Wank, wank, wank, wank. Oh and did I mention, WANK!

Heitinga - Awful. Didn't put his foot in, which is what he was there to do today. Sloppy in possession. Just crap basically.

Arteta - Pussyfooted his way around the pitch like a fucking princess. Did he even try and get us moving forward? Did he shite. I'm getting tired of his no shows. What is with him sitting so deep? At times he was deeper than Heitinga ffs. Captain? Don't make me laugh, he's never captain material because he doesn't lead.

Pienaar - Our best midfielder because he actually managed to keep hold of the ball for a few seconds at a time and pushed us forward.

Fellaini - He was crap. Another one who would do all the hard work by winning the ball back and then he'd give the bloody thing away.

Beckford - I felt so sorry for him out there. He's trying to find his way at the level and we put him up there on his own, with no support, and launch the ball and expect him to perform miracles. Once again we bring a striker in and don't play to his strengths (which surely are the reason they're brought in in the first place?) and want them to play a completely different game.

5 games in and our season is effectively over. What a fucking joke.

from what i have read there you say its our best team yet slag everyone of them off, has anyone given any thought 2 the fact we miss our leader on the pitch more than anyone could have thought & yes I mean neville?? he may not do the nice stuff but we sure as hell always look alot better with him in rather than out the squad, he just seems 2 get us playin the right way. ps im not really a neville fan but he must give us something our win rate with him is just so much better

I have supported everton since I was 10 and although not a liverpool resident I am the best arm chair fan you will find. This season I am getting really bored of watching the team flatter to decieve and if things don't pick umay consider ignoring football full stop. Everton are making me feel like england did in the world cup completely disilusioned

i have to disagree with some people on here, Fellaini was the only one of them knobs who ran his arse off today, unlike some other disinterested pricks. He's playing out of position and not producing messi style passes and you lot are calling him crap? well im sorry, im gonna give him credit for doing most of the work today!

Distin did ok tooday, Jags was back to his early Everton days, lost and sloppy.

Pienaar could not get the ball out of his feet, and in the second half barely remember him touching the fucking ball.

Arteta did prance a bit in the first half but distributed well, was never helped by the lack of options around him. Those saying he was uninterested btw, did you not see how far back he had to come to do Jonnys job?! also a one point he got so frustrated with Beckford NOT chasing the ball, he ran it for him and was higher up the pitch than anyone. I do admit he was annonymous in the second half but when you compare his efforts to Osmans (Mark, he wasnt that good mate!) he was far better!

Why Hibbert was taken off, fuck knows!? crazy n pointless substitution.

Heitinga. Dont let me start on your performances lad.

Howard got us out of shit again today, 3 good saves and no fault for the goal.

Yak and Bily had the touch of a rapist.

Moyes. Questionable? Definitely. I echo what Mark's said about him today and i among others, was left extremely angry and upset over today, overall!!

That all said, credit where credit's due. The toon played well, neat passes, chased down everything, direct pacey attacks, difficult set-pieces...sterdy midfield (abeit fall of cnuts) who play it hard but fair, and no fancy bollocks, simple and direct football. Everton take note (from a pissing Championship side)!! P.s Arfa proved why i told my dad prior to the game, watch out for him and we must man-mark him...look what happened when we didnt and let him play!?

i have to disagree with some people on here, Fellaini was the only one of them knobs who ran his arse off today, unlike some other disinterested pricks. He's playing out of position and not producing messi style passes and you lot are calling him crap? well im sorry, im gonna give him credit for doing most of the work today!

Distin did ok tooday, Jags was back to his early Everton days, lost and sloppy.

Pienaar could not get the ball out of his feet, and in the second half barely remember him touching the fucking ball.

Arteta did prance a bit in the first half but distributed well, was never helped by the lack of options around him. Those saying he was uninterested btw, did you not see how far back he had to come to do Jonnys job?! also a one point he got so frustrated with Beckford NOT chasing the ball, he ran it for him and was higher up the pitch than anyone. I do admit he was annonymous in the second half but when you compare his efforts to Osmans (Mark, he wasnt that good mate!) he was far better!

Why Hibbert was taken off, fuck knows!? crazy n pointless substitution.

Heitinga. Dont let me start on your performances lad.

Howard got us out of shit again today, 3 good saves and no fault for the goal.

Yak and Bily had the touch of a rapist.

Moyes. Questionable? Definitely. I echo what Mark's said about him today and i among others, was left extremely angry and upset over today, overall!!

That all said, credit where credit's due. The toon played well, neat passes, chased down everything, direct pacey attacks, difficult set-pieces...sterdy midfield (abeit fall of cnuts) who play it hard but fair, and no fancy bollocks, simple and direct football. Everton take note (from a pissing Championship side)!! P.s Arfa proved why i told my dad prior to the game, watch out for him and we must man-mark him...look what happened when we didnt and let him play!?

I have to say I thought it was Felli's worse performance for a long time.

He should have been sent off for a wild elbow, missed a sitter at the end and just about gave it away every time he touched the ball. He may have been playing out of position but thats all basic stuff he got wrong.

Another reason Newcastle did well was because they had two out and out outside mids. We cant always rely on peinaar and baines, and we desperately needed to buy one this summer but we didn't. Another thing we need is a striker. Saha has his good and bad (mostly bad these days) days and also is getting a bit old, Yak is not quick and is not on form and god knows how old he really is and Beckford is new to the league. Honestly if Moyes was thinking Beckford is going to be are next top scoring striker than I don't know what he was thinking wrong with him. I agree it is good to give him a chance and see what he can do however bringing in a League One striker and asking him to perform every game like a top class premier league striker and with him having no proven premier league experience is just wrong. Also Moyes always wants to play the best players but if there are 3 players good at one position and there are only 2 positions he will put the third one in a unknown position. For example Johnny and Osman they both play different positions but there are other good players in those positions but Moyes wants to play them so he decides he can play them out of position. Also he thinks that just because Fellaini has height he will be the best attacking midfielder because he can head any ball and it will go in. We all know fellaini is a fantastic defensive midfielder, one of the best in the league, and he should be used in that position. Moyes keeps boasting about a full squad but we are lacking quality players in so many positions its laughable. We need a right midfielder, Striker, and if he really does not want to play coleman because he is too young then also a right back. I don't know what is going through Moyes's mind but it is not the right things and he has to fix the situation.

Another reason Newcastle did well was because they had two out and out outside mids. We cant always rely on peinaar and baines, and we desperately needed to buy one this summer but we didn't. Another thing we need is a striker. Saha has his good and bad (mostly bad these days) days and also is getting a bit old, Yak is not quick and is not on form and god knows how old he really is and Beckford is new to the league. Honestly if Moyes was thinking Beckford is going to be are next top scoring striker than I don't know what he was thinking wrong with him. I agree it is good to give him a chance and see what he can do however bringing in a League One striker and asking him to perform every game like a top class premier league striker and with him having no proven premier league experience is just wrong. Also Moyes always wants to play the best players but if there are 3 players good at one position and there are only 2 positions he will put the third one in a unknown position. For example Johnny and Osman they both play different positions but there are other good players in those positions but Moyes wants to play them so he decides he can play them out of position. Also he thinks that just because Fellaini has height he will be the best attacking midfielder because he can head any ball and it will go in. We all know fellaini is a fantastic defensive midfielder, one of the best in the league, and he should be used in that position. Moyes keeps boasting about a full squad but we are lacking quality players in so many positions its laughable. We need a right midfielder, Striker, and if he really does not want to play coleman because he is too young then also a right back. I don't know what is going through Moyes's mind but it is not the right things and he has to fix the situation.

Sorry to point out, but there's a few contradictions there mate ;)

All rather predictable that the boo boys are jumping on the band wagon and slagging off Distin and Ossie again.

Yes Ossie was woeful today but he was no worse than anybody else in a blue shirt, with the exception of Distin who I thought was MoM

Yeah, seems to be the butt of most peoples anger, yet he is leading the way in the MOTM voting, seems he,s taken over from Hibbert as the boo boy.

Although there was several OK performances, none of the outfielders deserved to be MOTM so my vote goes to Howard.

That's not right, that doesn't make players earn their spot in the side, that doesn't take advantage of having competition for places and FORCING the players to up their game. Moyes is a shithouse who doesn't have a clue when it comes to tactics, picking a good starting 11, and making the right substitutions when we're in the shit.

Fellaini should have played DM, and we should have either played two upfront or played Bily behind the striker and given him a free role where I think he'd absolutely thrive. Heitinga should have been dropped back into defence and Distin or Jagielka should make way. We had the dream team of Osman and Hibbert on the right which was never going to work. Why? Because it never fucking has. It's not like that was the first time Moyes has played them together and they've looked like Beavis and Butthead. When he brought Coleman on he should have taken Osman off, not Hibbert. By playing Coleman at RB he almost completely nullified Coleman's attacking threat because he had to worry about the superb Enrique and Ben Arfa. Hibbert should have stayed RB because he could cover the defensive side and Coleman would have been causing THEM a problem instead. How can Moyes not see all of this?

Mark, you have summed up the feelings of the majority of Everton fans I know there, it,s so frustrating........... I even had a West Ham fan pointing out the same things to me last night, (whilst out trying to obliterate all memory of this latest abysmal showing..........) and the bloke in question is a complete knob, now if he can see it, why the fuck can't Moyes/Round/coaching staff/the board??????????????

Not really sure I can add much more than has already been said. As soon as I saw the team sheet I knew we were in for a long afternoon, even if the players individually played well. Turns out they were pretty shit as well and Newcastle did a good job and they deserved the win.

We couldnt pass, we didnt tackle, our closing down was non existant, we played it long far too often when neither of our main strikers will do well under those conditions and we generally looked like we didnt have a clue. Against Utd we came out with some purpose but today they were scared, too afraid of making mistakes. We just stood there, didnt pass or move and let Newcastle on to us. They arent tactics of a successful team and it showed.

Imo there were a couple of players who did okay. Felli put in a shift without much really going for him, Pienaar and Baines tried to link up but Newcastle tracked them very well (the late Felli chance was down to them, probably our only good move of the match), Howard made some good saves and of the subs Coleman and Yakubu looked lively and should have been starting. We have probably made more chances with them two coming on as subs in the last two games that we have in the rest of our matches.

Distin did well for me, by no means brilliant (no-one was) but he was solid. He didnt have too many problems with Carroll (thank fuck!) but no-one really troubled him with their movement which is where he falls down and was so comprehensively ripped a new one last week! It also annoyed me how much he backed off on occasions. He did well but he still has a lot to prove in my eyes. Jags was also solid but they both gave the ball away far too unnecessarily, though im 90% sure they were tactical instructions because there seemed easier passes and everyone was angled at Felli. Piss poor tactics imo.

Arteta was poor, he put in effort but for someone of his skill level, im not sure he made any passes longer than about 5 yards.

Heitinga was diabolical. Not sure I even noticed him playing until he decided to not close down Ben Arfa and let him hit a rocket. Very very dissapointed with him BUT he has to play CB not DM and Moyes is a fucking fool if he cant see this.

Hibbert didnt have his best game for us. His tackling wasnt as good as it normally is but he shouldnt have come off as others have said.

Osman was also shite, but he at least looked like he was trying compared to Heitinga. Having said that Osman was really terrible and could have scored a couple. What I would say to the Billy bashers is that Im not sure even he could give us less over the 90mins that Osman did today. Surely he is at least worth a 3-5 game shot to try and make that position his. If it doesnt happen sell him in January and get in someone that can and play one of Coleman/Gueye there until then. People say he isnt a winger, and thats very true but I wouldnt call the likes of Malouda, Arshavin, J Cole wingers but they drift inside from the flank and make things happen. We have seem Billy come inside on his left foot and in parts do well. He has to step up but lets at least give him a real chance to as he isnt going to make things any worse atm.

Beckford was unlucky today. We consistenly tried hoofing it up to him and expecting it to stick. He doesnt look like a Prem player to me atm and I think he should be used off the bench to get more accustomed to it.

Worst person by far today though was Moyes. This is the first time I have seriously thought maybe it is time for a change. He just isnt learning and that is fucking ridicoulous and whats worse is that none of the backroom staff seem to be seeing this either. Moyes has done a lot of good stuff at Everton but he is tactically inept and IMO he tries to make things more complicated than they need to be. PLAY THE PLAYERS IN THEIR NATURAL POSITION! When we do that we look good now just let them play. Fulham are there for the beating now lets fucking go out there and do it.

Guest blueboy122

Ok, Newcastle played superb yesterday lets put that to bad. However we should be beating teams like newcastle at home, lets not beat around the bush here lads that was the same side that got turned over by fucking blackpool last week. I was screaming from the upper bullens yesterday how much fucking time and space did there midfeild want, they must have thought that they were playing against a fucking pub team nolan and barton totally bossed the game, how embarrising is that. I would love a manager one day to come out and say thats my fault that result it stops with me. Like many of you guys i cant understand moyes's team selections. Felliani before he got injured looked like one of the best holding midfeilders i have ever seen, so when we have a nearly fit squad he plays off the striker? John heintinga won a world cup runners up medal at playing cb, he is a cb moyes what dont you undertand about that. Am sorry but there is no room for leon osman in everton, hes an absolute joke, the lad looked liked he'd run a marathon after 20 minutes. Theres so much more i want to say but to be honest i cant be fucking arsed. I am fed up of the same old everton every time theres a chance to kick on we fuckin fall on are arses. Once again we are playing catch up its not good enough.