IGNORED

What Is Our Best Starting Xi

WillAct723

I´m not even sure if Moyesy knows the answer to this question, atleast it doesn´t look it over the last few weeks.

The question is: Who should our starting XI be? Who should we be rolling out? After the WBA match, I've had it with these mix-and-match squads. I know injuries are beyond any of our control, but there seems to be no consistency, even for in-form players!

Moyes, give us your Bext XI, in our optimal tactical formation, week in and week out, however you think that goes.

Who (and what form) do you think that is??

(This conversation seems to happen each week under the match days, but I was hoping to consolidate the discussion)

The problem is that there are people in the 11 that aren't playing up to their normal standard(Arteta and Heitinga) and we've got strikers that can't hit the mark be it not making chances(Saha) or screwing them up(Beckford).

For me, our starting 11, going by recent form and ignoring injuries and suspentions is thus:

_____________Howard_____________

Neville__Jagielka__Distin__Baines

______________Fellaini_____________

Coleman_Cahill_Osman_Pienaar

______________Yakubu_____________

Osman was on form filling in for Pienaar before his injury and I think had we played in instead of Arteta in past few weeks we'd got some different results. Of course being injured, we couldn't have played him anyway...

Another note is that I think Johnny could definately replace Jags at the moment. Jonny's looks awkward in the DM position and putting him back as a center back makes alot more sense, as that's where he found his form last season.

Bily could well be a good replacement for Cahill during the asian cup too, as I beleive he'd play much better as an attacking CM.

Though he's only scored once, I think the Yak is our better option up front with the single striker formation. Though I think Beckford is due for a breakthrough...I haven't watched any of the WBA game yet, but I hear he missed couple of sitters. I'd still give him time and I reckon he's gonna come good soon.

hopefully with felli back in the next match he can put some confidence and calm the team down which he does so well..it also means johnny won't be playin! will be nice to see rodwell get a full game as i presume he would take over from arteta for the 3 games he is suspended..arteta is still our best midfielder there he just needs to find his feet again and not be played too deep! i would have the following team if i could:

howard

neville-jags-distin-baines

fellaini

coleman-arteta-pienaar

cahill

yakubu

Osman was on form filling in for Pienaar before his injury and I think had we played in instead of Arteta in past few weeks we'd got some different results. Of course being injured, we couldn't have played him anyway...

If we're going to use Osman, I'd prefer him to start. he's just never struck me as a game changer off the bench, the way someone like Rodders can (even if I am a little bias.)

Bily could well be a good replacement for Cahill during the asian cup too, as I beleive he'd play much better as an attacking CM.

Though he's only scored once, I think the Yak is our better option up front with the single striker formation. Though I think Beckford is due for a breakthrough...I haven't watched any of the WBA game yet, but I hear he missed couple of sitters. I'd still give him time and I reckon he's gonna come good soon.

I actually hope we move away from the CF role Cahill plays when he is gone. Not because I don't like it, he's absolutely killing it for us there. But I hope we play something closer to:

Howard

Neville - Jags - Distin - Baines

Felli

Coleman-Arteta (Rodders) - Pienaar

Yakubu - Beckford

I'm not sure we can afford to ask Bily or Ossie to get even close to what Cahill was doing in the CF role, It could make it a very bad month. Think we should just suck it up and come out with 2 on top.

I'm with you about Becks. Althought, as I posted in the MOTM thread, I don't think Beckford's misses were sitters. The first attempt wasn't a bad shot, just a better save from Carson. The beautiful cross he blasted over the bar? A better striker would have finished it, but, still not sure it was a gimmie.

Also want to point to when Beckford attempted to bike a rebound (I believe it was) in for the score after we were already down 3. I can't fault yak for not giving that, mostly because he might kill himself, but I like that he went there even while we were down. I also like how him and Peanuts worked together.

Pick our best starting eleven!

You might as well bang your head against the nearest wall....after all Moyes plays this game every week, and if you read the forums, he gets it wrong every week.

He picks Arteta, because on his days he's world class.He's short on form at the moment but Moyes, like us, must just pray he starts getting it back!Not playing him is hardly going to help regain his form, playing does that.

Fellaini's probably in our best starting line up.....Moyes picks him, and he whacks someone, hardly Moyes' fault.

We don't get to see the players in training, Moyes does every day.If he can't get it right, what chance us!

Cahills natural skills causes a problem, if fit he could well be the first name on the team sheet, and this season he's excelled in his job, just imagine where we would be now if the striker he was playing behind was banging in the goals, weve out played a lot of teams this season and would probably have an extra 9 points, that would be a more true position.Even as poorly as we played against WBA we could have won.

Our best starting line up, well it could contain Osman, Beckford, Victor....let's be honest, It's the one that gets us three points.

Too good to go down! all it takes is a couple of injuries some bad luck and a slice of panic!

BUT, a couple of wins and a few goals and things will look a lot better.

So David Moyes..........YOU pick a team that can win, doesn't have to be your best players, Arteta, Jonny etc, just a team that will fight for every inch and give everything to Everton.

Phil Neville for assistant manager.....not giving 100%, Phil will tell you!

I want the brazil system... back 4 - 2 holders - 3 roamers supporting 1 main striker...

..........Howard............

Nev...Jags...Distin...Baines

.....Rodders...Felli........

Arteta.....Cahill.....Pienaar

..........Beckford...........

I would actually say beckford/vic would be the best in this role, Yak/Saha don't work hard enough as lone strikers - no coincidence beckford had 5 clear chances yesterday (wish yak or saha had them though!!!). Arteta isn't working in the middle for whatever reason - I'd like him and pienaar to roam with the confidence that rodders/felli will be keeping it solid!

I want the brazil system... back 4 - 2 holders - 3 roamers supporting 1 main striker...

..........Howard............

Nev...Jags...Distin...Baines

.....Rodders...Felli........

Arteta.....Cahill.....Pienaar

..........Beckford...........

I would actually say beckford/vic would be the best in this role, Yak/Saha don't work hard enough as lone strikers - no coincidence beckford had 5 clear chances yesterday (wish yak or saha had them though!!!). Arteta isn't working in the middle for whatever reason - I'd like him and pienaar to roam with the confidence that rodders/felli will be keeping it solid!

I like that.

Agreed.

Starting Team (and possible substitutes in brackets).

...........Howard............... (Mucha)

Nev...Heitinga...Distin...Baines (Jags, Mustafi)

........Rodwell....Fellaini...... (Move Neville there when/if substitute is made)

..Coleman...............Pienaar.. (Bily)

..............Cahill............... (Baxter, Gueye)

.............Beckford.............. (Saha, Yak)

Edited by Cozza

Im going to go in a different direction and probably one people wont agree with.

My standard team (ie against similar level teams)

---------Howard

Neville-Jags-Distin-Baines

----------Felli

-----Rodwell--Arteta

Vic-----------------Pienaar

----------Yak

I would play Arteta and Rodwell as midfielders breaking quickly to join Yak asap along with Vic and Pienaar. This would have the same balance as the team that dicked Hull 5-1 last year when it could have been 10. Felli will protect the back 4 superbly as he always does and the rest are there to spring and attack.

Against Good teams (top 4/5)

---------Howard

----------Felli

Vic-------Arteta-----Pienaar

-------Cahill

--------------Yak

This is similar to our normal set up, but with Felli set up to be the defensive midfielder, Arteta supporting and Cahill used alongside the striker for his work rate and ability to pop up with goals.

Against Shit teams

---------Howard

-------Felli--Arteta

Vic-------------------Pienaar

-------Becks--Yak

We look pretty dangerous with Beckford playing alongside another striker so I would chuck him in. Id make Felli the more defensive minded of the two but I would hope we would have a decent amount of possession so it should really be too much of a problem.

Chasing a goal

---------Howard

----------Felli

------Arteta--Pienaar

----Becks--Yak--Saha

Pretty much like we did in the last 5-10 against Arsenal. I wouldnt be too fussed with Saha but I havent seen enough of Gueye to really comment on how good he would be here. Similarly Vic could probably do alright here.

In fact instead of playing Beckford, why not get Vaughan back and play him the same way we have as Beckford. Vaughan has always had an eye for goal (at Prem level!), he is quick and good in the air. I wouldnt want to rely on him as a single striker, but alongside Yakubu, imo its worth a punt if Beckford keeps firing blanks.

I always get the feeling Moyes doesnt really have a plan b for when it isnt going right apart from sitting deep when we are ahead!

Edited by Bailey

Howard

Neville Jags Heitinga Baines

Rodwell Fellaini

Arteta Cahill Pienar

Yakubu

For me this has to be it. I dont think Arteta holding does us or him any favours. Get him on the right side and P-nuts on the left and lets get at people. I like the idea of heitinga at the back with jags... it certainly worked last yr when distin was out!!

Has got to be (subs in brackets, because that was a great idea):

Howard (Mucha)

Neville Heitinga Distin Baines (Jags Duffy)

Felli (Rodwell)

Coleman Arteta Pienaar (Gueye Osman Bily)

Yak (Beckford)

Get Saha the fuck out of my club, he's a twat. Should have sold him for 8mil when the offer was tabled. Yak is twice the player he's been for us

and Beckford has shown glimpses that put him on par with Saha's end product.

I'd also like to see this line-up given a go at "weaker" teams (weaker in quotes cuz we're 16th).

Howard

Nev Heits Distin Baines

Felli

Coleman Pienaar

Cahill

Yak Becks

Why do 95% of people still have Jags in the line up. He is playing crap, Heitinga isn't playing well, but he isn't in his position. Heitinga would be much better served in CD than in CDM.

On current form I would agree, but overall I think Jags is a better player. If I am honest I would really mind who started out of Jags, Distin or Heits as they are all quality in their own right. However what I would say is that I am not convinced by the Jags - Distin, but I havent seen the other partnerships to comment.

What I would also add (on a tangent) is that it shouldnt really matter who plays (providing that they play in their natural positions).

Its the lack of pressing, lack of movement, lack of forward runs and lack of forward passes. When was the last time you saw an actual member of our midfield (not including cahill) run past the strikers or past the back 4? When was the last time we played an accurate through ball? Apart from Coleman who has managed to beat a man? The last time we actually pressed anyone was against Liverpool.

Yes systems and player positions have an effect but if you sit back and let the other team play they will create chances and if you dont pass and move quickly and get forward and take chances you wont create many of your own.

Howard

Neville Jags Heitinga Baines

Rodwell Fellaini

Arteta Cahill Pienar

Yakubu

No Buzz??? Him and Cahill have been seemingly our only consistent quality for me. However, I do like most of this line up. I think our best team is still one up top - Yak (or Beckford) need to step up and take on that role! I was thinking that playing two up top, or at least two traditional strikers on the pitch, would be better based on our 60/70' subs. However, I just think it's a matter of intensity and determination. A tactical shift.

I'd like to see Seamus come in for Arteta or Pienaar, too. Love the way he attacks the box and doesn't look for the first opportunity to pass the ball off.

What I would also add (on a tangent) is that it shouldnt really matter who plays (providing that they play in their natural positions).

Its the lack of pressing, lack of movement, lack of forward runs and lack of forward passes. ... Apart from Coleman who has managed to beat a man? The last time we actually pressed anyone was against Liverpool.

I think we were writing basically the same thoughts, at the same time, Bailey. B)

Edited by AlexSWill