IGNORED

List Of Potential Moyes Replacements

I say stick with Moyes.

True, it has been a disappointing season so far but we have actually played some decent football even some of our defeats.

But while on the subject of who would replace Moyes, given our limited budget I would imagine that we would be more likely to go with someone such as David Jones.

Personally though I'd prefer our next manager was not a former defender. A former creative player please, BUT WHO????.

I say stick with Moyes.

True, it has been a disappointing season so far but we have actually played some decent football even some of our defeats.

But while on the subject of who would replace Moyes, given our limited budget I would imagine that we would be more likely to go with someone such as David Jones.

Personally though I'd prefer our next manager was not a former defender. A former creative player please, BUT WHO????.

I've grown quite tired of hearing fans okay with playing pretty football and losing. Sure it's nice to watch and even okay to justify a loss or draw here and there with bad luck or poor finishing, but at 15 matches in and just 3 wins I couldn't give a rat's ass if we play the worst hoofball ever and win. Because, there are no points awarded to teams who play pretty (except maybe for Barca.) Truth is, our midfield has become farce and Moyes needs to make some personnel and attitude changes and eek out some wins before we start trying for pretty football again.

I've grown quite tired of hearing fans okay with playing pretty football and losing. Sure it's nice to watch and even okay to justify a loss or draw here and there with bad luck or poor finishing, but at 15 matches in and just 3 wins I couldn't give a rat's ass if we play the worst hoofball ever and win. Because, there are no points awarded to teams who play pretty (except maybe for Barca.) Truth is, our midfield has become farce and Moyes needs to make some personnel and attitude changes and eek out some wins before we start trying for pretty football again.

Do you remember some of the dire football we played under Walter Smith. Some of that was painful to watch and you were probably one of the many at the time calling for more adventurous / attractive football instead of the long ball game we deployed which enabled us to get 0-0 draws week in week out.

Shit season so far but I can see enough to tell me that its not time to panic (yet).

Never mind Walter Smith, what about Mike Walker?

Oh and I remember the bad old days of Gordon Lee too when if you wanted to ask another supporter the time you had to shout up half the length of the pitch.

(Crowds smaller than the ones at the youth games.)

I promise you I will never moan about Davey Moyes after living through the other crap we have had to deal with over the years.

How fickle football fans are... I read one or two posts here and i read that article posted.

I remember a few years ago, cant remember which season now, its escaped my mind for the moment, 2005ish? and we found ourselves at the foot of the table, couldnt win a game, moyes was close to the sack judging by radio and newspaper colums, and guess what the usual shite came out from everton fans.. You guys really wind me up sometimes. Now i'm not going to revert to the same old moyes defence.. But looks what he's done inthe past, finance, league positions, europe etc... But when will we realise this is football, we arent the best team in the league and unfortunaltey teams go through periods like this, as mentioned if some of our half chances would have gone in, we wouldnt be talking about all this.

I'd liek to end on, politely telling the moyes must go and FUCKING OWEN COYLE to quietly sit in a corner and think about what you have just said... I'm sitting here now laughing, that people would sack moyes and bring coyle in... As mentioned also previously we are past the days of bringing under rated managers in to reform the team, in hope more than anything, because moyes done this when he took over, thats why one of our main players is on 70+ thousand a week..

Moyes is still our manager and will be for a while to come, and HE IS STILL THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB.

Do you remember some of the dire football we played under Walter Smith. Some of that was painful to watch and you were probably one of the many at the time calling for more adventurous / attractive football instead of the long ball game we deployed which enabled us to get 0-0 draws week in week out.

Shit season so far but I can see enough to tell me that its not time to panic (yet).

I'm not panicking yet. Like I said, if we're still bottom 5 at the END of January, I'll panic and call for Moyes to get the sack, but atm I think I'm starting to doubt that he has the ability to pull us up this year's table.

About pretty footie, if it wins games, then I'd love us to play fluidly and with flare, but atm moment it isn't winning matches and you don't avoid relegation by drawing every fucking match (except the ones you lose).

i think your bang out of order...gordon lee's record was better than moyes's record but them days you didnt get into the champ lge for 4th place...he took us to a cup final and we were robbed by clive thomas in the fa cup semi at main rd...in the three years he was there i dont think he fin below 9th place...also that era the crowds wernt very big in the whole of football.

With Billy Bingham's side which he then destroyed and watched us slide down the table as a result

I'm not panicking yet. Like I said, if we're still bottom 5 at the END of January, I'll panic and call for Moyes to get the sack, but atm I think I'm starting to doubt that he has the ability to pull us up this year's table.

About pretty footie, if it wins games, then I'd love us to play fluidly and with flare, but atm moment it isn't winning matches and you don't avoid relegation by drawing every fucking match (except the ones you lose).

That sums up everything that's wrong with the majority of Moyes loyalist posts.

Firstly, you're refusing to even entertain the idea of Moyes getting the sack. This isn't an argument based solely on this season, it's been clear for seasons now that Moyes has serious issues with his managerial ability and approach that he has either failed or refused to address in any sort of meaningful way. This leads you to giving him what amounts to a 'free go' at things for a while before you turn on him. If you say that you'll call for him to leave in January... On what grounds will you be calling for his head? I'll wager that they're exactly the same that I have already outlined in this thread. So, you're aware of the problems, I'm aware of them and so is everyone else. Surely if we know what his shortcomings are now we should be shouting at the too of our voices for him to rectify them or face being sacked rather than being fully behind him 100% until one day you have enough and knee-jerkingly call for his sacking - probably when it's now too late.

And the second problem with your position, one that many on your side of this debate seem to share, is this quite frankly juvenile drawing-of-the-lines between attractive football and hoofball. How anyone can say that we play attractive football is beyond me. I just don't see how passing it slowly sideways in front of the opposition can be considered entertaining. It's boring as hell to watch. Sure, it's how Spain and Barcelona play, but it's defensive possession football in the extreme which allows the opposition to settle and requires a truly special player like a Messi or Iniesta to inject a spark of brilliance to ever create anything. Naysayers often say that the only alternative is to play like Stoke and Blackburn and hoof it into the box at any opportunity. I'm sorry, but that's utter trash. There is, and apologies for the Blairism, a third way. Fast, strong, athletic play that attacks quickly along the ground. United play like this, as do Chelsea, Bayern Munich and a host of other teams. They get the ball wide quickly to exciting players who take on their men and whip in a ball, or cut inside and play in a striker running behind. It is adventurous play, many would say it's British football at its best. That's how we should play. With box-to-box centre midfielders, quick wide men who can go inside or outside and forwards who can drop deep and run in behind. It can be done, Spurs have done it brilliantly - granted they had investment but we could do it with our current players with a new right winger and possibly a forward (Funded by Bilyaletdinov and Heitinga).

If given the choice to watch Bale and Lennon try to beat their men with pace and footwork or watch Pienaar and Arteta pass the ball around in front of opposition defenders with neat flicksfor 5 minutes I know what I'd prefer to watch.

Gordon Lee!

According to "Everton, a complete record 1878-1985"...Lee built an Everton side of considerable ability and , perhaps more importantly, one worth watching.In his first full season, Everton finished 3rd and were the 1st divisions highest scorers with 76 goals.

Very few manages actually win the big prizes, which is something David Moyes shares with Mr Lee.Is it harder now than it was in the 70's? Moyes has had longer than Lee to prove himself, but the game is different these days, for one thing it must be harder to motivate mega rich players who own 3 houses, four cars, watches worth more than Latcford was being paid for a years graft....and so on!

Some call for Moyes to drop some of his big stars, Arteta and Saha for instance, big deal will they really be bothered, less chance of getting kicked, same pay and, they(and others Jonny and Pienaar for example) will have no problem finding another team to throw stupid money at them.Moyes can only pick what he thinks is his best team, how the hell does he motivate them.

Give or take a few games this season he's picked teams that have outplayed opponents, sure we can't score.....but we went into this season with Yakubu, Saha, Beckford, Anichebe and Vaughan, now I don't know about you, but there sure as hell should be some goals in there somewhere, Moyes probably thought so, and to be honest IF they had then I wouldn't have just wasted 15 mins writing this.....I could have been washing the dishes!

THANKS LADS :rolleyes:

Firstly, you're refusing to even entertain the idea of Moyes getting the sack. This isn't an argument based solely on this season, it's been clear for seasons now that Moyes has serious issues with his managerial ability and approach that he has either failed or refused to address in any sort of meaningful way. This leads you to giving him what amounts to a 'free go' at things for a while before you turn on him. If you say that you'll call for him to leave in January... On what grounds will you be calling for his head? I'll wager that they're exactly the same that I have already outlined in this thread. So, you're aware of the problems, I'm aware of them and so is everyone else. Surely if we know what his shortcomings are now we should be shouting at the too of our voices for him to rectify them or face being sacked rather than being fully behind him 100% until one day you have enough and knee-jerkingly call for his sacking - probably when it's now too late.

And the second problem with your position, one that many on your side of this debate seem to share, is this quite frankly juvenile drawing-of-the-lines between attractive football and hoofball. How anyone can say that we play attractive football is beyond me. I just don't see how passing it slowly sideways in front of the opposition can be considered entertaining. It's boring as hell to watch. Sure, it's how Spain and Barcelona play, but it's defensive possession football in the extreme which allows the opposition to settle and requires a truly special player like a Messi or Iniesta to inject a spark of brilliance to ever create anything. Naysayers often say that the only alternative is to play like Stoke and Blackburn and hoof it into the box at any opportunity. I'm sorry, but that's utter trash. There is, and apologies for the Blairism, a third way. Fast, strong, athletic play that attacks quickly along the ground. United play like this, as do Chelsea, Bayern Munich and a host of other teams. They get the ball wide quickly to exciting players who take on their men and whip in a ball, or cut inside and play in a striker running behind. It is adventurous play, many would say it's British football at its best. That's how we should play. With box-to-box centre midfielders, quick wide men who can go inside or outside and forwards who can drop deep and run in behind. It can be done, Spurs have done it brilliantly - granted they had investment but we could do it with our current players with a new right winger and possibly a forward (Funded by Bilyaletdinov and Heitinga).

If given the choice to watch Bale and Lennon try to beat their men with pace and footwork or watch Pienaar and Arteta pass the ball around in front of opposition defenders with neat flicksfor 5 minutes I know what I'd prefer to watch.

Good post, especially the 1st part. Its not as if his failings have suddenly come to light, they have been apparent for a while and the reason I am pissed off with him is because he doesnt fucking learn.

This isnt something you can blame Kenwright for, or the players, its purely his lack of ability to adapt his approach. In fact whats even worse in my eyes is that we had it. We played some awesome footy at times in the last couple of seasons combining lots of heart, determination and desire with quick attacking play, intelligent movement and a solid, hardworking defensive system. Remember Sunderland 7-1, remember Larissa, remember Hull, Man Utd & Chelsea at home? It was there. Now we have regressed, quite considerably and for no apparent reason.

Moyes has to learn, otherwise he should go. He has been here long enough to know this and recognise these faults but he hasnt, even when the answer is there. People keep saying 'if he had XY had scored you wouldnt be saying this' but I would, if your willing to plaster over the cracks then so be it but Im not as there is only so long before it bites you in the arse.

Bingham took over as manager in May 1973 at Everton and finished seventh in his first season. He brought in players such as Martin Dobson and Bob Latchford. Everton seemed likely to win the title again in 1975, but only won once in the last five games finishing fourth.

In 1975–76 Everton finished eleventh but a run of eight league games without a win resulted in Bingham being sacked in January 1977.

Gordon Lee switched to Everton in 1977. In his first season at Everton the team finished ninth and reached the League Cup Final and the FA Cup semi-finals. In the next seasons Everton mounted serious title challenges before finishing third and fourth but the 1979-80 season was deemed a failure. Lee brought in several players who were later to become successful: Kevin Ratcliffe, Graeme Sharp and Steve McMahon. Even though he was well respected by the players, Lee was sacked by Everton's chairman Philip Carter on 6 May 1981.

I think you've misread what I'm saying. I am not a Moyes loyalist. I'm simply trying to take a moderate stance on the issue. I think it's best to give Moyes some time to work things out, and if he proves that he can't (I'm of the opinion that he won't) then give him the axe. I said give him til the end of January, but that's assuming we don't do any worse than we are now. If we drop to the bottom three, then he ought not get more than a few more matches at the helm.

About the pretty football, I was not trying to say I like it. Sure, it's fun to watch some good possession, but like you said, that's utter bullshit if it doesn't end in goals. I also agree with your want to see fast-paced athletic wide football, but my point remains, I don't give a fuck what style we play as long as we're winning. (which was the intended meaning in my first posts).

Bingham took over as manager in May 1973 at Everton and finished seventh in his first season. He brought in players such as Martin Dobson and Bob Latchford. Everton seemed likely to win the title again in 1975, but only won once in the last five games finishing fourth.

In 1975–76 Everton finished eleventh but a run of eight league games without a win resulted in Bingham being sacked in January 1977.

Gordon Lee switched to Everton in 1977. In his first season at Everton the team finished ninth and reached the League Cup Final and the FA Cup semi-finals. In the next seasons Everton mounted serious title challenges before finishing third and fourth but the 1979-80 season was deemed a failure. Lee brought in several players who were later to become successful: Kevin Ratcliffe, Graeme Sharp and Steve McMahon. Even though he was well respected by the players, Lee was sacked by Everton's chairman Philip Carter on 6 May 1981.

Where did you get that from Bill?

The Rat and Sharpie came through the youth system so you can hardly give Gordon Lee credit for bringing them in. lol or am I just still bitter about him forcing out Duncan Mckenzie?

With moyes I'm starting to see a case of "a painted clock is right twice a day"

You see signs of stability and improvement, which ironically comes in times of squad issues- injuries and what not. When we have options he doesn't get results, it's insane.

With Rooney in team he finishes 17th, next season 4th. Arguably with a plucky team with Marcus bent up front.

What I don't get is that he doesn't appear to be work in progress, in the sense that tough times are ok as long as the lessons are learned. Most established managers wenger, ferguson etc have an established style of play, moyes seems to still be throwing darts at a board.

His decision making requires an emergency to justify it. I'm awaiting the relegation of heitinga to the reserves with rodwell being played in defensive mid (not right mid), the recall of James Vaughan ( ruffle some feathers and show spirit) arteta not being played so deep. Saha doing a stint with the reserves,

In a word stagnant

i think your bang out of order...gordon lee's record was better than moyes's record but them days you didnt get into the champ lge for 4th place...he took us to a cup final and we were robbed by clive thomas in the fa cup semi at main rd...in the three years he was there i dont think he fin below 9th place...also that era the crowds wernt very big in the whole of football.

Fair enough. Not sure you are right in saying I am bang out of order. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so no sweat on that.

However I did think (still do) that Gordon Lee did nothing for us. All the hard work was done by Billy Bingham in my opinion.

But as I said, no sweat if you disagree. Simply voicing my opinion.

Do you agree about Mike Walker though?

Argubaly, the best decision ever made for Everton!