IGNORED

West Ham (Away)

MikeO

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are Moyes' comments after the game...

Everton FC's David Moyes defends playing Tim Cahill as a loan striker

Dec 29 2010

David Moyes has warned Everton FC’s misfiring strikers they need to "step up" after he delivered the ultimate snub to them in Tuesday's 1-1 draw at West Ham.

Moyes controversially played Tim Cahill as a makeshift target man in the Barclays Premier League game at Upton Park, leaving Ayegbeni Yakubu, Louis Saha and Jermaine Beckford on the bench.

The Toffees boss was unapologetic over the move, one which he will not be able to repeat after Saturday’s match at Stoke with Cahill absent for up to a month with Australia at the upcoming Asian Cup.

Moyes said of his forwards: "We need them to step up."

If they do not, Moyes may turn to the loan market during the January transfer window, revealing he would not make any permanent signings.

"We’ve got a really good team," he said. "We’ve just not been able to turn our good football into goals. We’ll have another look, we’ll try something else and see if we can."

Defending his selection on Tuesday, he added: "Manager’s prerogative, isn’t it? I thought that Tim was a goalscorer, I thought my best players were midfield players, (Jack) Rodwell, (Mikel) Arteta.

"I would’ve needed to leave (Steven) Pienaar, Rodwell, Arteta out of the team to accommodate one of those players and I didn’t see that was right. I thought my better players were on the pitch."

It is debatable whether Moyes’ decision was vindicated in a game which saw his side fall behind when Tony Hibbert diverted Radoslav Kovac’s tame overhead kick into his own net.

The visitors hit back before half-time through Seamus Coleman but otherwise lacked a cutting edge until Yakubu’s second-half introduction.

"I thought we had all the game, really, in the second half," said Moyes. "There’s no doubt we had plenty of the ball and lots of opportunities but we never took them."

How the fuck can he seriously believe Arteta was playing better than any of the strikers (before his suspension)??? Rodwell is debateable but he is clearly seeing something Im not.

I didnt think we particularly had all the game, certainly not the 1st 35mins and I dont think we created many open play oppurtunities? It certainly helps me understand his decision making if this is what he sees!