IGNORED

Arsenal (Away)

MikeO

I don't think that's an official rule

"it's not offside if it would have been an owngoal if the ball had gone in the net"

:D

Offside and owngoal are totally unrelated.

The point i am trying to make is that the defender is in play once the ball touches him, otherwise it would be classed as a straight forward goal and not an own goal.

Therefore the same defender is again in play when the ball touches him, Saha onside. :)

A player can be 20 yards offside when a defender plays a back to his goalie, Saha scores because the defender was the last player to touch the ball. ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point i am trying to make is that the defender is in play once the ball touches him, otherwise it would be classed as a straight forward goal and not an own goal.

Therefore the same defender is again in play when the ball touches him, Saha onside. :)

A player can be 20 yards offside when a defender plays a back to his goalie, Saha scores because the defender was the last player to touch the ball. ;)

But therefore Saha could have been flagged before it touched Koscielny, when the original ball was played. He was clearly interfeering with play as the defender wouldnt have gone for it otherwise.

But therefore Saha could have been flagged before it touched Koscielny, when the original ball was played. He was clearly interfeering with play as the defender wouldnt have gone for it otherwise.

He could have been flagged but (as I said) the way it's done now is that the whistle isn't blown until the ball reaches the offside player.....by which time he's been played on.

Think the fact is that the law needs rewriting/clarifying.

Guest blueboy122

Hello All.

I was going mad last night because of everybody I saw and listened to saying the Saha goal was offside, I play west chesihre league week in week out and we have conceded goals like that but also scored them by it coming off defenders and defenders slicing the clearing ball up feild etc. I couldnt believe that all Arsehole fans were booing the ref etc I thought it was perfectly legal. How can he be offside when the ball has not come directly from an Everton players boot? To me thats always been the rule, well thats what I have always played and thought anyway.

Romey were are your match reports and player ratings also.

Wenger having a go at Moyes...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9386323.stm

But contradicting himself nicely...

"I believe that it is wrong for Moyes to come out on what he pretends to have heard."

So if he only pretended to hear it there's nothing to keep to himself...so why say..

"I think there is a rule in our job to never come out with what is said in the heat of the moment."

Fabregas himself said...

"...many things are said in the heat of the moment".

Wenger added..

"If I come out with what I have heard in the tunnel in the last 10 years, you would be amazed."

I think Davie should go after him for alleging he made it up (though I think it was pretty stupid of DM to use it as an excuse).

He could have been flagged but (as I said) the way it's done now is that the whistle isn't blown until the ball reaches the offside player.....by which time he's been played on.

Think the fact is that the law needs rewriting/clarifying.

As far as I am aware, the whistle is only blown when it reaches a player incase another player in an onside position goes for the ball. They delay the decision to make sure the right person gets flagged.

The problem is the offside rule has been rewrote/clarified/changed etc many times and eash time it gets more confusing.

Wenger has admitted publicly that he will lie to protect his players... enough said.

Dont exactly blame him though. Personally I couldnt give a fuck with what Fabregas said at half time and it shouldnt have had any affect on the game. If anything it should have given us confidence knowing we were getting under their skin.

Im sure 99% of managers would do exactly the same thing and it has no relevance to the game whatsoever. If Moyes wants to see opposition players sent off so we can have a chance of winning then he obviously doesnt have very much confidence in the team.

Moyes should have kept his mouth shut he's like a boy telling tales out of school, it shows him up as a desperate man who is under pressure.

Its a poor excuse trying to divert the attention away from more bad substitutions, and another defeat.

I agree that he should have said nothing after the match (was daft, Fabregas must've said something like, "bloody hell [in Spanish] did they pay you to allow that?" It was nothing, laugh it off), but having made that mistake he had to respond to Wenger accusing him of making it up.