IGNORED

Chelsea (A)

Adam Partington

Let's be honest, we were extremely lucky to get through today. We may have had far more of the ball than Chelsea and been the better side overall but they created the much better chances in the whole game and could have won it by 3 or 4 comfortably. Infact, I'm struggling to remember us creating a clear cut chance on goal :blink:. And I'm still extremely concerned with our defence. Once again, as individuals they're doing fine but as a unit they're just not functioning at all. Having Jags back there didn't really sort anything out, so maybe it's Distin that's the problem? I dunno.

That being said, I am a very proud Evertonian right now. That performance was infinitely better than what we showed against Bolton. For one, we actually looked like we wanted it and it was a committed performance from pretty much every single one of them. Basically, we were a team and they didn't pass the buck or shirk their responsibilites. Right up until toward the end of the second half we closed them down excellently and I lost count of the amount of times we won the ball back from them. We just lacked finesse and cutting edge when we had posession, and that meant we slowed the play down far too much while we had a think of what to do with the ball. I'll be honest when Lampard scored I instantly thought that was game over because we didn't look like we could get a goal in that second half and extra time, we looked much better in the first half IMO. But fair play we pulled a rabbit out of the hat when it really mattered.

The win papers over the cracks that are still there, IMO, but it's a win nevertheless. We've got to not let this have been for nothing though and build on it. How many times have we said that this season though?

Howard - He was on fire today. If it wasn't for him we'd have been out of the game by half time in all honesty. Take a bow, my MOTM.

Neville - Hmm, a bit of a wishy washy performance from Nev I felt. He allows the wide man too much space to get the ball in. Fair play to him though for stepping up for the last penalty and putting it away, that took balls.

Jagielka - Looked rusty to me, unsurprisingly. He'd do something perfectly and then he'd look way off the pace and like he was struggling.

Distin - I hate the way he stood off players and god knows what he was doing for their goal. But he did still have a very solid game and won many headers.

Baines - Much like Neville he allowed the wide man too much space to get the cross in but he made up for that with his tireless work going forward for us by putting quality ball after quality ball in the box. What a fantastic goal he scored as well. He must have balls the size of coconuts to step up for that free-kick knowing that was our last chance of the game, and then to be able to keep cool to show that sort of quality. BOOM.

Coleman - In the first half he was a constant thorn in Cole's side but his final ball was dreadful to say the least. But for the second half and extra time I didn't feel he ever got into the game.

Arteta - I thought he was excellent in the first half. He was involved in all our good play and was always on the ball, trying to get us moving, even if he was sat too deep at times. But from the second half onwards I thought he was too in and out of the match.

Fellaini - A very up and down game from him. He'd go from breaking up the play perfectly to losing possession stupidly in a dangerous position. We need him back to what he was like before the Bolton game.

Osman - I can't fault his effort for us today, he never stopped working for us and quite rightly was fucked when he came off. But he's just not cut out for the wing and that showed today. Time after time he'd get the ball and look to go past his man but he just didn't have the speed and more often than not he'd lose the ball.

Cahill - I really don't think he's fit, or anywhere near it tbh. He just didn't look right all game to me and never really got himself into it.

Beckford - I thought he had an OK game and chased the Chelsea defenders when he could and showed good movement. But Cahill not being much of a support midfielder/striker didn't help him much and neither did his poor decision making. When Anichebe came on I felt it should have been to partner Beckford rather than in place of him, I think we would have seen a much better player then.

I couldnt disagree more.

Over the 2 games we were by far the better side and we thoroughly deserve our place in the hat for the draw for the next round

Great atmosphere, great performance and a great trip home! :rolleyes:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt disagree more.

Over the 2 games we were by far the better side and we thoroughly deserve our place in the hat for the draw for the next round

Over the two games yes, but that's not what I said. I was talking specifically about yesterday, and while we had lots of the ball we didn't look threatening and they could have put the game to bed by half time.

I couldnt disagree more.

Great atmosphere, great performance and a great trip home! :rolleyes:

On the eveidence of the first game we deserved to sail through no doubt but pretty much every chance created was by them yesterday. I cant remember us having a shot? :blink:

that's a good un too..i just robbed it off ya and i love the name 'coleshitshimself' :lol:

Lol perfect name for it like :P. Feel free to steal it off me, I stole it from someone else :lol:.

The pose was pure quality :lol: .

And Heitinga after his pen went in was Stuart Pearce-esque; superb how he went from that to studied disinterest as he walked through Cole.

He was crap when he cam on but to act the way he did during the shoot out was quality. The look on his face as he's running with the rest of players to celebrate with Nev makes a mockery of the people who say he doesn't care about playing for Everton.

Over the two games yes, but that's not what I said. I was talking specifically about yesterday, and while we had lots of the ball we didn't look threatening and they could have put the game to bed by half time.

I can see what your saying but I still think that we did enough on the day to deserve going through

Yes Howard kept us in it at times but that is what he is paid to do

I can see what your saying but I still think that we did enough on the day to deserve going through

Yes Howard kept us in it at times but that is what he is paid to do

To fully deserve to go through yesterday we needed to create chance IMO. I'm not saying we didn't play well, because we did, but we weren't threatening whereas Chelsea looked poor but had all of the clear cut chances. That being said, we should have put them away in the original tie easily.