IGNORED

Andy Gray

The guy I like to listen to, not because he is a great pundit, (although he is good) is because he speaks simple things in a simple easy to understand way. And he is pretty knowledgeable about football. ( I think he should get a job in football again)

Oops nearly forgot to say his name. rofl.gif

Ray Wilkins.

The guy I like to listen to, not because he is a great pundit, (although he is good) is because he speaks simple things in a simple easy to understand way. And he is pretty knowledgeable about football. ( I think he should get a job in football again)

Oops nearly forgot to say his name. rofl.gif

Ray Wilkins.

I respect him a fair bit but dont think hes a good commentator or pundit

Not a pundit as such but Gabriel Marcotti who writes on the premier league for one of the big Italian papers, Gazeta de'lo sport I think, massive knowledge of European football, sometimes on talk sport, could listen to him all day.

Is that the dude who used to cover the Italian football on channel 4?

I respect him a fair bit but dont think hes a good commentator or pundit

Is that the dude who used to cover the Italian football on channel 4?

Sorry Matt it was the Corriere dello sport, Yeah I think he was on channel 4, better than the bald git on Goalazio on a sat morning, can anyone remember him?

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of terrible commentators ..........

Pat Nevin.

Did anybody hear his stupid comments in the City v Villa match?

It went something like this:

"Villa just don't have the quality. You can't imagine any Villa players getting in City's team'.

Meanwhile, Barry and Milner are playing for City. doh.gif

who would do now?

Yeah, obviously my point is that City have just taken Villas best 2 players, and United the other, but then Nevin makes that comment.

He went on to say that Lescott was the only player not good enough to be in the City team. I'm quite a fan of Lescott. I've never rated Nevins footballing opinion. He strikes me as a bit of a know it all who's been asleep for 20 years.

Yeah, obviously my point is that City have just taken Villas best 2 players, and United the other, but then Nevin makes that comment.

He went on to say that Lescott was the only player not good enough to be in the City team. I'm quite a fan of Lescott. I've never rated Nevins footballing opinion. He strikes me as a bit of a know it all who's been asleep for 20 years.

after theyve gone, so hes spot on in my opinion!

Given. Really don't see why they prefer Joe 'English' Hart.. arrr jus realised.

Given is a great keeper but Hart is younger, England #1 and improving all the time. Given has already been there as a bench warmer, no way he would return and no reason for Citeh to take him.

Given is a great keeper but Hart is younger, England #1 and improving all the time. Given has already been there as a bench warmer, no way he would return and no reason for Citeh to take him.

He is the better keeper and the City job is very unsecure to think long term. Hart should be on loan at a bottom half club, he's Englands no.1 by default not talent. Much better keepers around, just non that are English.

He is the better keeper and the City job is very unsecure to think long term. Hart should be on loan at a bottom half club, he's Englands no.1 by default not talent. Much better keepers around, just non that are English.

Think thats a bit harsh but i see where youre coming from. Didnt he have the most clean sheets last season? 21 if i remember correctly. Credit to the defence too but keeper has to take a lot as welll

IMO he looks very average, If I were to split keepers in the league into 3 groups Good, Average, Poor. He would go in the average group. 14 of the other 20 keepers in the league would have done just as well in man citys goal.

Howard, Reina, Given, Begovic, DeGea, Cech and Schwarzer in the good bracket.

Given was brilliant for us, and much MUCH loved, it was a shame to see him go. Model professional, never moaned, left with every fan still adoring him.

BUT

He was getting older - and whilst probably better than Joe Hart, when planning for the future - Mancini had a choice:

1) Stick with Given, dependable, but not going to be around for as long, and LOSE Joe Hart (which is definitely what would happen)

or

2) Go with Joe Hart, accept he's still 'learning' and 'should' end up better than Given. He'll stick around for a much longer period.

In the end Hart won out.

Hart's 'ok' - ok, he's quite decent and shot stopping has really improved. His distribution is poor and he sometimes goes to sleep. He jokes with the fans, and he's saved us a couple of times. 8/10 keeper I think, with potential to be a 9/10 - but he's not there yet. On his bad days he'll dip to a 7/10 keeper.

Shay Given is a consistent 8/10 keeper, almost a flat line in consistency.

Also, the stats don't lie BUT they mislead. City have a pretty reasonable defence to say the least. Such a defence will ALWAYS flatter a keeper. Joe Hart is no exception.

As for Lescott? he's been very good for the last 9 months or so. He was questionable for a while (not 'bad' but not great) but recently he's upped his game and most fans are very happy with his performances.

Keepers are very hard to judge. Many rate Reina as the best in the league. I'm not convinced. I couldn't actually say who WAS the best, but I see nothing in Reina to make him stand out.

Edited by BlueSky