IGNORED

Andy Gray

What's the general consensus of opinion on Andy Gray (not at a player) but as a commentator?

I struggle with him - he comes across as very arrogant and I rarely agree with his opinions.

Surprisingly, I'm finding Gary Neville's views fairly sound - and that is NOT easy for me to say!

So, I know Mr Gray had a pretty good time with you guys and it might taint your view - but really is it just me that thanks he's a poor commentator?

I don't like 'any' of the 80's team commentating, be it Gray, Reid, Sharp, Nevin, or even Snodin. I think footballers should leave commentating to entertainers who might know nothing about the game, but at least make it exciting.

Can you imagine Lee Mack doing the commentary for the Manchester derby? biggrin.png

Edited by Avinalaff

Aye I do agree - a good footballer doesn't equate to a good commentator (or manager)

I was half expecting an Andy Gray love in, given his past at Everton, but I cannot for the life of me see why he's deemed a top 'TOP' pundit.

It's interesting watching Neville having to give honest appraisals of other teams - to be fair to him, he appears to be doing so fairly even handedly. He could teach Gray and Alan Greene a thing or two!

Mark Lawrenson is a decent pundit.

They're all boring as hell though. It's like snooker and John Virgo and Steve Davis commentating. It makes me want to take it to the bridge.

I want to hear Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal !!!!

The more you listen to it, the more you realise they know about as much as we do.... not much.

It's all 'after the fact'.

Very rarely doesn't anybody accurately predict stuff before hand.

Worst of all (and we have one at City) are players that keep taking freekicks time and time again, and one in 10 times they score - only for people to say "and THAT is why he is a great free kick taker" it's crap! - or "incredible finisher" - erm yes, after 20 chances and missing 19.

I think fans study football as much as players do. The main difference is the coaching you receive as players offers certain insights you don't get as a fan.

Take a look at stats.

I only get an assist, if you put the ball in the net. My cross can be immaculate every time, but I rely on 'you' to score for it to be recognised.

Definitely, but then it's the same for a striker - if he's on a great team and getting chances galore he can look superb, stick him in a poor team and he looks lost.

Or the classic - when you get a very high class player (you'll remember those days right? *smirk*) and he's playing balls into nowhere - cos the other players just aren't at the same level. Can be quite funny for a while.

In my opinion Andy Gray was the best commentator around. The majority of commentators about at the moment either talk constant shite, completely miss parts of the action, bum certain players/teams or have the personality of a dead cat.

Andy Gray at least had an opinion, and 90% of the time it made sense and reflected the action. The worst commentators are on the BBC/ITV, its like they are watching a different game sometimes.

In my opinion Andy Gray was the best commentator around. The majority of commentators about at the moment either talk constant shite, completely miss parts of the action, bum certain players/teams or have the personality of a dead cat.

Andy Gray at least had an opinion, and 90% of the time it made sense and reflected the action. The worst commentators are on the BBC/ITV, its like they are watching a different game sometimes.

He was too biased towards the sky 4 and most possibly because of his employers rather than his own opinion. Jamie Redknapp does a great job and talks a lot of sense, as long as it's not Liverpool or Spurs. Steve McManaman was good as well.

Slightly off topic but there is an awfully big slice of ex-kopites as pundits(I've named 2 as good but the rest are laughable) surely theres should be a more balanced quota, especially when John Barnes managed to get his own show and just spouted nonsense. Hanson is very hit and miss as well.

Edited by pete0

He was too biased towards the sky 4 and most possibly because of his employers rather than his own opinion. Jamie Redknapp does a great job and talks a lot of sense, as long as it's not Liverpool or Spurs. Steve McManaman was good as well.

Slightly off topic but there is an awfully big slice of ex-kopites as pundits(I've named 2 as good but the rest are laughable) surely theres should be a more balanced quota, especially when John Barnes managed to get his own show and just spouted nonsense. Hanson is very hit and miss as well.

Yeh get Redknapp on Spurs or Liverpool and the bullshit just flows out! Its actually quite funny how awful it is, but as you say for the most part he is alright.

Yeh get Redknapp on Spurs or Liverpool and the bullshit just flows out! Its actually quite funny how awful it is, but as you say for the most part he is alright.

Me and few friends have had a chuckle watchin him as well. Jus shows how much he loves his dad(even though he's a ___ *) that he's willing to look stupid on tv. Think that every time I see him makes me think of his wife helps his like-ability as well

*fill in the blank. Everyone has their own unique way of describing him lol

Edited by pete0

Me and few friends have had a chuckle watchin him as well. Jus shows how much he loves his dad(even though he's a ___ *) that he's willing to look stupid on tv. Think that every time I see him makes me think of his wife helps his like-ability as well

haha yeh its a shame she doesnt join Sky as well! If the pundits are going to be crap, at least make them easy on the eye! tongue.png

haha yeh its a shame she doesnt join Sky as well! If the pundits are going to be crap, at least make them easy on the eye! tongue.png

Start a petition, no nonsense allowed unless there is a fit girl in view. Watching parliament on tv would be much better viewing, they already do it on ssn(although thats best of both worlds) and hollyoaks

do we get a prize? i'm quite good at stuff like this that involves swearin :lol:

Andy Gray is ok but repeats himself a lot

Lee Dixon is a pretty good pundit, he articulates himself well and is fairly knowledgeable. Mark Lawrenson is ok, Hansen is shit. Souness is gash and is running out of jobs in football now surely - Manager ultimate fail, Pundit ultimate fail. Maybe the shyte should give him a hot dog costume and let him work the pie van

Gary's been refreshingly honest and not yet shown any major bias.

Lee Dixon seems fairly grounded too, but that's City fans for ya ;-)

I'm not really sure why we have pundits on Match of the Day though - they state the obvious every time.

Don't mind Andy Townsend either.

crying.gifmajor overreaction alert.gif