IGNORED

Chelsea vs Everton

SimonButtle

you are missing the point then. We didnt even try, thats why we're so angry. We went there (like we did at Citeh) looking not to concede - i.e. play for a point. - despite having a decent record against them. They had only beaten us once in 5 years or something, right? Well, go and attack them then! Even if you dont think you can win, try for 3 and get 0 rather than try for 1 and get 0. Its all about mentality and Moyes is bringing everyone down with his boring, negative tactics. Ive usually supported him, almost blindly, but even with my optimism, ive had enough of him this season already. Weve not played 1 good game yet.

bitch, got there before me :D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To suggest we were not hoping to snatch a goal is ludicrous. Most teams who go to Chelsea will adopt the same tactic. Even United went to the shite with a 'safety first' mentality. To suggest Moyes is the only manager who will set up a team to be hard to break down for tough matches is laughable, Jose Mourinho has built quite a reputation on the back of such tactics, difference is, he's had money.

I'm neither, but thanks for trying to offend me.

We were outplayed by the better side, I'm gonna bookmark this thread and bring it up every time Chelsea stonk somebody at the bridge. There's not many teams who are either capable of beating Chelsea in their manor, or playing an attacking game and not getting absolutely slaughtered.

If I'd have been trying to offend you I would have worded my post a lot differently. It'd have been marco-esque.

you are missing the point then. We didnt even try, thats why we're so angry. We went there (like we did at Citeh) looking not to concede - i.e. play for a point. - despite having a decent record against them. They had only beaten us once in 5 years or something, right? Well, go and attack them then! Even if you dont think you can win, try for 3 and get 0 rather than try for 1 and get 0. Its all about mentality and Moyes is bringing everyone down with his boring, negative tactics. Ive usually supported him, almost blindly, but even with my optimism, ive had enough of him this season already. Weve not played 1 good game yet.

This.

If you'd actually read the thread then you'd realise that it isn't the losing that's the problem. It's the way we wernt about it. A carbon copy of what we tried to do at City, which failed there too, so adopt a different strategy because this side isn't good enough this season to just soak up quality coming at you for 90minutes. We needed to break out and give Chelsea something to think about, but we didn't, we just waited for the inevitable.

Chelsea didn't even have to stretch themselves and they put 3 past us.

I would rather have a go and lose by the same score than put an inept, negative showing like that in and lose anyway. At least if we'd had a go we'd have given ourselves a chance to win or at least come out of the game with a few positives.

Every single one of us knew exactly the way we'd go into that game and the way we'd set up, so obviously Chelsea would know the exact same thing.

Our tactics and "style" of football genuinely embarrassed me at the weekend, and I cringe that it was on the TV for all to see.

You go ahead and bookmark this page and bring it out again when Chelsea twat Wigan or Bolton, but I won't care because I'm an Everton fan and it's our results against any one that matters to me.

exactly, a lot of those fans i spoke to on theshedend.com were genuinly concerned that we might get a result against them if we went heavy against their defence, but im sure the will all be laughing their heads off after that farce the other day

Moyes lacks the balls to stand toe to toe with the big guns. I don't think the guy is capable of sending the team out to, well go all guns blazing. If we know how we are going to set up then don't the opposition? Jesus I'm pig sick of just going out to park the bus, let the players look them in the eye and think ''come on then you feckers''! Not think ''same shit - different day''.

I cant comment on the game as I had to work today and couldnt go so I can only go from MotD, however got to agree with this comment, in fact its probably a bit understated.

Our squad is considerably weaker and their is considerably stronger than 2 years ago

So I have had a look at the teams for that game... Cech; Ivanovic, Carvalho, Terry, A Cole; Mikel, Ballack, Lampard, Malouda; Drogba, Anelka. vs Howard; Neville, Distin, Heitinga, Baines; Donovan, Arteta, Osman, Cahill; Saha, Anichebe.

So your telling me that the Chelsea team above were worse than the one we played on Saturday? Probably the best back 5 in the league, with Lampard, Malouda, Drogba & Anelka all at the top of their game. I would agree that Mata would improve them but Im not having it for one second that yesterdays Chelsea team were effectively £20mil better than that!

Then look at our team and bar Donovan & Arteta (who was in top form at the time) then our team isnt significantly worse.

I have watched that Chelsea team a few times and havent been impressed (except against Utd where ironically they were beaten) and they barely had to break sweat to knock 3 past us. If we sit back and let any team play then we will get beaten most of the time, especially against teams with the talent of Chelsea.

Just seen highlights of the game from yesterday - and we all know highlights can be misleading.

Fellaini should be shot for basically walking away from an encounter with JT for JT's goal. Fellaini literally ducked away and turned his back. Shocking.

My reaction from that goal was that Howard had called for it, because all the defenders left it. On one hand you could say they still should have competed but when I was playing if the Keeper calls for it then defenders are told to keep clear. Although that might be because I was the keeper and Im a big bastard!ohmy.png

Clueless. Uninterested. No ambition. No threat. No confidence. Predictabe.

And honestly, if i see another fuckin game where our only tactic and/or way forward is hoofing it, im not goin to watch another game until i see a starting line-up that will try to get forward.

I don't think its down to one player but since Barkleys exclusion we've run out of ideas. He always played with his head up and looked for options. Against fulham, i hope to mix things up we see Ross, Drenthe and Vellios starting. Drop the non-performers. Get Johnny on too, drop Jags.

Baines has been defensively poor as of late, he needs a kick up the arse.

Its like we've given up before we've even started. No belief in the players, nor fans atm!

Nail on the head!

Not sure its that, im thinking its because Saha has come back in, Skippy is pushed to the centre and Osman, who was putting in MOTM performances in the centre is back on the left.

Wouldnt disagree with this. I would also add that there is a massive amout of space between our CB's and Striker when we have the ball. Our defenders start off so deep, normally you stay compact from front to back and fairly high up the pitch (to stop the midfield dictating the ball as there isnt much space to exploit) but our defensive line seemed to want to stay back all the time, meaning that if any midfielders committed to going forward then there would be massive gaps.

To suggest we were not hoping to snatch a goal is ludicrous. Most teams who go to Chelsea will adopt the same tactic. Even United went to the shite with a 'safety first' mentality. To suggest Moyes is the only manager who will set up a team to be hard to break down for tough matches is laughable, Jose Mourinho has built quite a reputation on the back of such tactics, difference is, he's had money.

No the difference is he plays counter attacking football and to compare his tactics to ours on Saturday is laughable.

They get players behind the ball (nothing wrong with that), they close down instantly, they snap into tackles when the ball is there to be won (and sometimes when its not!), they stay compact (generally about 15 yards between the most advanced midfielder & deepest defender) and then when they win the ball they race forward and support the man with the ball. There is nothing wrong with setting up to stop the opposition playing (we used to be one of the best in the league for doing it) but when we get the ball, we have to cause a threat and get forward when we have the chance. You dont win games purely by stopping the opposition from playing.

i thought the same about the howard thing but when i was at school(i was the keeper too) i was told just shout and if they don't get out the way you go through them...your own man or not..howard should be goin through fellaini, terry and whoever else was there to get that ball..simple as that..defenders were told to do what they want in that situation..although must admit i always got the ball cool.png

I used to play in goal and defense a lot cos they all wanted to be centre forward in school and I had a funny accent. But even so I really enjoyed 'going through' whoever stood in my way. Howard should be doing a lot more of it.

marco-esque..you fuckin wish boy tongue.png

I think what Romey meant to say was marco-esque but much more clever...(Well he is a member of staff so I have to brown nose a bit)rofl.gif

*Goes and hides from the nasty words*rofl.gif