IGNORED

Royston Drenthe position

Hi everyone,

I'm new to following everton but since i'm dutch i automatically follow you guys more since you have 2 dutch players in your squad...

But now is my question... what position does drenthe really play? we all know he isnt a winger but where does he usually play?

thanks for your reactions:)

cheers!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to following everton but since i'm dutch i automatically follow you guys more since you have 2 dutch players in your squad...

But now is my question... what position does drenthe really play? we all know he isnt a winger but where does he usually play?

thanks for your reactions:)

cheers!

He's only just got fit, then a red card delayed him from cementing his place so we'll find out in the coming weeks. He's played left and right wing. If Coleman starts Drenthe will stick on the left, if someone else plays RM they will switch round. If Baines gets injured he will probs fill in at left-back.

I wouldn't mid seeing more of Drenthe cutting in from the right, and trying coleman on the left, cutting inside. Our striker (Saha) will always get a game if 20% fit, but he can't head a ball to save his life, so putting crosses into the box is pointless. As we play with 5 in midfield, it's more benefitial to us if the midfield (wingers or not) should try to support the front line as much as possible. The fact that Coleman and Drenthe are 'tricky' players when they have the ball at their feet, can only benefit from playing in that way.

On the left Drenthe looks ok, but i'd feel he'd be more productive cutting inside and shooting from afar (like with Fulham).

Drenthe has said in a recent interview on the official website that he prefers the right wing position because it favours him attacking the full back. On the left its easier for him to be dispossessed when trying to cut inside, but on the right, as players like Robben have shown time and again, its a much easier proposition. I'd like to see him on the right, as we know hes got a cannon in his left boot, but given that Baines is always overlapping having the two of them developing a bond could give us one of the deadliest partnerships in the premiership.

I would say either wing he has everything to become a class winger in the EPL

Maybe a Wing back in a 5 man Defense.

But his defending has always be a little suspect so i would have him in a back 4.

For me wing with out a doubt.

Edited by Redside

I wouldn't mid seeing more of Drenthe cutting in from the right, and trying coleman on the left, cutting inside. Our striker (Saha) will always get a game if 20% fit, but he can't head a ball to save his life, so putting crosses into the box is pointless. As we play with 5 in midfield, it's more benefitial to us if the midfield (wingers or not) should try to support the front line as much as possible. The fact that Coleman and Drenthe are 'tricky' players when they have the ball at their feet, can only benefit from playing in that way.

On the left Drenthe looks ok, but i'd feel he'd be more productive cutting inside and shooting from afar (like with Fulham).

This

Im trying to link the words winger and moyes, having a little trouble. a bit like Benitez and full back.

Seriously, I can't recall the last time we had a winger that could pin a full back and provide endless opportunities. Drenthe is the only one under moyes.

Right mid if saha plays (he can drop and provide decoy runs. 1-2's) left if vellios plays (get ball in the box)

Im trying to link the words winger and moyes, having a little trouble. a bit like Benitez and full back.

Seriously, I can't recall the last time we had a winger that could pin a full back and provide endless opportunities. Drenthe is the only one under moyes.

Right mid if saha plays (he can drop and provide decoy runs. 1-2's) left if vellios plays (get ball in the box)

AVM, Zinedine Kilbane, Blomqvist, Tal, Ginola, Alexandersson, Watson

I can only think of one, it's sad how little with bought to try sort the wings out

• 2 weeks later...
6. Royston Drenthe is not a David Moyes player – David Moyes is not in a situation where he can be picky. In fact, any player with a decent level of talent that is ideally cheap and willing to come to Everton is pretty much on his shopping list and this summer that included Real Madrid’s Royston Drenthe. However, I cannot help but think the Dutchman drives Moyes crazy. Saturday at Newcastle gave us many glimpses as to why Drenthe was a Real Madrid player once and why he no longer is. Deployed as a wide midfield player, the 24-year-old regularly dismissed his defensive duties including seconds before Ryan Taylor smashed the ball into the net when Drenthe gave enough room for a car to be parked between him and the Newcastle man. He was equally frustrating in attack in the second half, when he found himself with the ball on a two-on-two breakaway only for him to keep his head down and fail to recognise his team-mates around him and threaten the Newcastle defence. A few minutes later he delivered a terrible free kick into the box. Of course, in between all these errors, he also showed some real glimpses of quality, including the cross that led to Jack Rodwell’s goal but, just like his career, all-in-all his performance was far too inconsistent.

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/11/07/kjs-epl-weekend-notebook-fergies-unusual-day-turns-normal-at-old-trafford/

Louis, you used to write blogs yourself, so I don't need to express how much they're just an opinion, especially to you. I think Moyes has a full season to make his mind up about Drenthe, and Drenthe has a full season to show what he can do. The fact that somebody can offer such a bold remark as Drenthe not being a Moyes player, after such a short time on the pitch is a bit knee jerky to say the least.

Looking at what I have seen Drenthe isn't a Moyes type player, that's not to say Moyes is wrong, but it is consistent with his tactics and favoured players.

Give Moyes a disciplined 100% percent jobber professional over a player who can create something from nothing and yet frustrate just as equally.

Problem I see is that Moyes is such a safety first merchant that if he thought Drenthe could do what he did against Fulham but at the same time give the ball away with an ambitous pass he would look at another option. The thing is I believe teams need that player in their team - especially ours.

I want to see an Everton team express themselves and play without fear, rather than being a 4-5-1 rigid setup with 6 or 7 defensive players in the 11. Drenthe scared the life out of Chelsea in the cup match, we need that type of individualism.

Looking at what I have seen Drenthe isn't a Moyes type player, that's not to say Moyes is wrong, but it is consistent with his tactics and favoured players.

Give Moyes a disciplined 100% percent jobber professional over a player who can create something from nothing and yet frustrate just as equally.

Problem I see is that Moyes is such a safety first merchant that if he thought Drenthe could do what he did against Fulham but at the same time give the ball away with an ambitous pass he would look at another option. The thing is I believe teams need that player in their team - especially ours.

I want to see an Everton team express themselves and play without fear, rather than being a 4-5-1 rigid setup with 6 or 7 defensive players in the 11. Drenthe scared the life out of Chelsea in the cup match, we need that type of individualism.

Hopeless positional sense when having to track back.

I get the feeling Moyes lets Drenthe get away with not performing as much defensively to be honest. Purely because he is generally the second body to get forward and try and support the striker and also because Moyes wouldnt stand for him not doing what he is told. He probably wants to use Drenthe as our outlet & creative player, which he cant be if he is back defending all the time, problem is it leaves us completely unbalanced, and our right side of midfield/defence weaker defensively.

Given a season to get him fully tuned up to the way the Premiership works, mainly defensively and the way referee's penalise players, and he will be a good wide player who will be more than good enough offensively & defensively. Just look at how long it took Felli to adapt to the style of play, Drenthe has many of the same problems he had.

• 4 weeks later...