IGNORED

The Definitive Moment - choosing your team

FanchesterCity

Just been inspired by a conversation on TalkSport - taking me back to my youth - Interested to hear your moments:

What was the moment when you finally decided which team to support. The moment you KNEW 'this is my team' ?

Mine was when Umbro introduced the 'double diamond' kits (I think Everton had one VERY like City's). Instead of a pattern of single diamonds running down the sleeves / shorts and socks they turned with into 'double diamonds' - VERY jazzy (circa 1978).

I'd been a moderate City fan from about 76 but once they had that new kit - that was it!.

So what finally grabbed your Everton heart? (or other club for non Evertonians)

No idea....no family history, born and bred in the south-east, dad was a Spurs fan...first conscious Everton memory is of desperately wanting us to win the '68 cup final (when I was eight).

Don't know why....it wasn't just a question of picking a team for the game, it was already in me.

Just lucky I guesscool.png .

1984 cup final against man spew, I was 7 years old watching it at my Nan's, Everton lost I felt sorry for them so started to support them, anyone with any sense would have supported the winning team, not me!!! Do you think everton would have won the champions league and a record amount of premierships if I'd decided to support man utd!!! :)

Always been a blue, as has my dad. Mum was a red and as a kid I was often in Liverpool Supporters Club on Lower Breck Road for the parties and chocolate and stuff. I even used to get in to see the games at both grounds as a little lad as I couldn't do away matches.

But I was never anything other than an Everton supporter. (I just like football generally but there is only one team in my heart)

Scouser by birth, Footy fan by choice, Everton supporter by grace of God.

Edited by Rubecula

What was the moment when you finally decided which team to support. The moment you KNEW 'this is my team' ?

No idea, it was just always there. Dad supported Everton, there would have only been a decision if i chose another team, to be honest i have never been aware it was possible to support another team. It was the same for my Dad and his brothers, and the same for my Grandad. Id be gutted if i had kids who didnt support my team. as far as im concerned you always support your Dads team. My Brother In Law supports United, i hope my sisters kids support United because their Dad does, its just how it should be.

Instilled at an age where it would grow on me. My dad took me to my first game when I was three, 1967, before that I was pushed around the ground in my pram as soon the district nurse said I could go outdoors. Since then I have been proud to be an Evertonian through thick and thin, and being a teenager in the late 70's/ early 80's it wan't easy but the pride was there and always will be, come what may it will be with me until the day I die. I am not unique in this and probably share the same with 99% of football fans whatever their team.

Xmas 83, all my mates in primary school were choosing the Kopites and I was an awkward sod so chose their rivals, and hey presto five months later I was confirmed as a blue after watching Andy Gray score in the FA cup final, oh happy days!

Similar for me, I'm from Oldham originally, but most were United fans. There's something 'underdog' about not going with the obvious choice.

I can even remember my lad being little and asking for a United shirt. I refused, but compromised on letting him have a Newcastle shirt. Eventually steered him on the right path though!

I'm not sure all kids go with their dad's team - some are born rebels in a family and choose their own path! Wayward sons and all that.

30th May 1984- Liverpool v Roma European Cup Final

Most of my family are/were reds, so this was on in the house. Game goes to penalties, Grobelaar gives it crazy legs.....

A 6 yr old me turns round to my mum and says something along the lines of;

"What an idiot... I will never EVER support that team EVER"

I went to bed not even bothering with the fact that they'd won.

Cue my everlasting dislike/hatred of the red shite and my love for Everton!

I can even remember my lad being little and asking for a United shirt. I refused, but compromised on letting him have a Newcastle shirt. Eventually steered him on the right path though!

I'm not sure all kids go with their dad's team - some are born rebels in a family and choose their own path! Wayward sons and all that.

Got in early with my lad....he never had a chancebiggrin.png . He was actually called "Neville" (after Southall, not Gary) all the time he was in the womb.

dribbler.jpg

Similar for me, I'm from Oldham originally, but most were United fans. There's something 'underdog' about not going with the obvious choice.

If I have a son there will be NO other team! Ok maybe Wales, does that count? Ospreys if he likes rugby though and if his new girlfriend was a Kopite, bejesus she had better be wealthy!!laugh.png