IGNORED

Gary Speed passes away

39 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So sad powerful and traumatic in one brief read 

Really feel for her and the kids to deal with that is unimaginable, also goes to show how fragile the human mind can be and how others need to speak up if feeling that way 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was told a version of this story a good while ago.  Unfortunately it was related to drink and the way in which Speed found out about it.

He loved the club and so did Howard. Just sad times in how it worked out. 

39 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I was told a version of this story a good while ago.  Unfortunately it was related to drink and the way in which Speed found out about it.

He loved the club and so did Howard. Just sad times in how it worked out. 

Everyone knows that story, Haf. He drank from Kendall’s water bottle etc etc. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Everyone knows that story, Haf. He drank from Kendall’s water bottle etc etc. 

I heard 2 versions. Either way whatever version is true (if either) both are not here anymore and it's probably best left alone. They were given good send offs and remembered in the right way. 

• 3 years later...

Still such a sad one this, I remember when we played Bolton at Goodison and he was walking to his car - my Dad shouted him for a photo and he spun around and obliged. So many would have either pretended to ignore, or just waved and got to the car but he took the time to come over, which made him out to be a really genuine guy. It's pretty haunting that mental health can disguise itself with public happiness - me meeting him and his death were far apart, but the point is still relevant as to how demons can go unnoticed and manifest. The public push on Men's Mental Health is something that was long overdue, and is so important in today's society.

The work that he did with Wales was second to none and laid the foundations for that incredible run in the European Championships. His impact on Welsh football should never be underestimated and it's just a heart-breaking shame that he couldn't live through the building blocks that he had put down. The death of Gary Speed was probably the first footballing death that really hit me and whenever his anniversary comes around I feel myself pausing for a second and reflecting on him - it's just so sad.