IGNORED

Gary Speed passes away

Just watched the highlights of our 7-1 victory where Speedo scored his first professional hattrick. Worth looking at on YouTube, even if it's just for his third goal, a typical arrive at the back post Speed power header.

The third goal, Duncan Ferguson would have been happy wih that! (outstanding header)

Watching various tributes you realise not only did he score many goals, but the quality of those strikes were outstanding.

Not a huge winner of medals, I guess Gary will be remembered for something more important than that.

Was abroad when I heard about this, absolutely devastating, as a fellow Evertonian, Welshman and local lad from Chester, as well as being an outstanding player, he was one of my all-time favourites in a blue shirt and I was gutted when he left, nothing ever got said but I always had the feeling we'd seen one of our best walk away over the turmoil the club was in at the time. As others have said, he also came across as a genuinely likable, modest and decent guy, a true professional with so much to offer to the game, and potentially a great manager as well. I still can't believe it, my thoughts are with his wife and those two poor boys, I hope the scum press do the decent thing and leave them alone soon. RIP Gary, you'll be hugely missed, and I hope those of you who make the match on Saturday pay him the respect he deserves.

The sad reality is people would have had a right old moan if we had resigned him in his 'twighlight' years. He had a good few years at Bolton though. Imagine him, Cahill and Ferguson all getting in the box for crosses, would have been scary for any CB!

Seen mentioned that from 10th min tomorrow Evertonians will sing 'Gary Speed is an Evertonian' for 10mins - could imagine that being quite 'goosepimpley' and a nice tribute. Anyone here this mentioned/ know if it's happening?

Speed was only here for a short time, but he provided some moments we'll always remember

I remember being at Anfield years back when he scored late on with a glancing header to get a draw, anyone who can do that should be immortalized in Toffee history. Not only that but other important goals against Tottenham and Saints that season.

I could never classify Speed as an Everton legend, but he was a honest, hardworking player and nice guy and the soccer world is poorer off for his passing

RIP Mr Speed, you won't be forgotten

I received this from the Premier League this morning:

6 December 2011

Media Announcement

The funeral of Gary Speed will take place later this week.

The funeral including the service is private and will be for family and close friends and is by invitation only.

At this time, Louise Speed and her family wish to express their deep appreciation for the very generous and clearly heartfelt tributes paid to Gary and his memory by the public and all forms of the media. Mrs Speed is especially grateful for the sympathetic way that the media has respected the family’s privacy in these extremely distressing circumstances. She is also acutely aware how Gary touched the lives of so many people and that each of them would wish to thank him for the joy he brought to them.

Accordingly, a memorial service to celebrate Gary’s life will take place soon and hopefully this will allow as many people to attend as wish to be there to pay their final respects and tributes to Gary.

Any donations in memory of Gary Speed should be sent either to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation or the John Hartson Foundation – see following links:

http://www.sirbobbyrobsonfoundation.org.uk/contact-us/

http://www.johnhartsonfoundation.com/contact.asp

• 1 month later...

I don't really like talking about it too much out of respect for Gary but I find it hard to believe that he has hanged himself by 'accident'. It's also very sad what he has done because I'm sure that every couple has arguments and every couple has bad patches, it's just really tragic that the differences between him and his wife have caused him to take his own life. I find it confusing as to where he did it too, as initially he was supposed to have done it in the garage but there is a mention of a banister - who has a banister in the garage?

He is still missed and after meeting him it's all the more upsetting. I hope the press don't go too over-board with the story because there really isn't a need, he was a good man and someone who should be allowed to lay at rest.

I heard it on the radio coming home tonight that Speed 'accidently' took his own life, he was hoping his wife would find him in time, apparently she couldn't even get into the house and spent the night oustide in the car as Mr Speed sadly passed away. They had a big row the night before by all accounts and he even sent her a text message a few days before that we was intent on doing some harm to himself.

All told It's a sorry end to a fine and upstanding man that was one of the true professionals of soccer, the game is poorer for his passing

From what I know (which is little), coroners very rarely say it's death by suicide though, generally. They normally leave an open verdict if they can, for the sake of the relatives. If there is no suicide note then there is really no way of knowing if someone really intended to kill themselves, so in any case they can't give a verdict of death by suicide.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...