IGNORED

January transfers - what are you expecting?

Avinalaff

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But both sides invariably cancel each other out. Either seller holds out for more money and risks losing the sale, or the buyer holds out for a lower price and risks losing out.

In the end, both clubs just lose time, and at least one of them loses out (with no remaining time to replace the outgoing player, or seek an alternative incoming player.... unless they gamble and buy before selling, which often gets clubs into financial trouble.

I suppose it's par for the course really, but you do have to admire a couple of recent moves where teams have simply done their business early. Good, sensible business if you ask me.

1 side usually loses out and its either the side who are so desperate for a sale (Everton) or the side that will pay over the odds for a mediocre player (Spurs for Pienaar as an example).

Here's a thought for you...

Vladimir Weiss...

Very promising right winger, but can come inside and capable of scoring goals..... a bit like Adam Johnson.

Potentially he'd be a decent 'cheap' buy from City.

I said him last year some time, but not heard much of it of late, how much would his wages be though? And he's diddy!

He's playing in Spain (on loan) at the moment.... Espanyol I think.

He is small, but not tiny... about 5'9. Then again... Mr Messi's no giant ;-)

He looked really good with City, but he was only 20 so we lent him out on loan, and he's still ours... but I suspect City would let him go. Might be wrong (hence why he's still on loan).

Also, he was (by all accounts) quite decent at Rangers. So either he WASN'T decent and they didn't keep him, or they couldn't afford to keep him.

If they couldn't afford to keep him, that might be the case for Everton buying him too... dunno.

Definitely better than Bily although different wing (no idea if Vlad can play left side)

Seems definitely more like Johnson... not tough, but wiley... can run at defenders and dribble etc.

Then again, if you're at City you are afforded a bit of a chance to show that off (although it WAS 2 years ago when we weren't quite as good as now).

If you're in a struggling team, that sort of player might be considered a luxury by some (although others might argue you need a bit more forward thinking).

Here's a thought for you...

Vladimir Weiss...

Very promising right winger, but can come inside and capable of scoring goals..... a bit like Adam Johnson.

Potentially he'd be a decent 'cheap' buy from City.

He was well thought of as an academic, but City's riches probably stopped him in his tracks regarding playing for them.

I'd actually take him today without a second thought, but I don't pick them unfortunately. He was one of the best prospects in the game.

I dont think he improves what we have tbh. I dont think he has looked too bad, but I would have expected some development from when he first came on the scene, and in the small glimpses I have seen of him since then, he doesnt look to have improved.

That's probably fair, but the calibre of player you're likely to bring in (if any) will either fall into the 'past their best' or 'potential' prospect.

I'd rather opt for the potential option, and trust in Moyes to bring out the best (if it's there). With the older 'past their best' types, they have no future and each year they'll get worse.

I certainly wouldn't say he was 'dire' either though. Which might be enough to help Everton out for a year or so, and then reassess if he's made an impact or not.

All about money really isn't it... what can you realistically buy for not very much money? It's not going to be a world beater :-(

That's probably fair, but the calibre of player you're likely to bring in (if any) will either fall into the 'past their best' or 'potential' prospect.

I'd rather opt for the potential option, and trust in Moyes to bring out the best (if it's there). With the older 'past their best' types, they have no future and each year they'll get worse.

I certainly wouldn't say he was 'dire' either though. Which might be enough to help Everton out for a year or so, and then reassess if he's made an impact or not.

All about money really isn't it... what can you realistically buy for not very much money? It's not going to be a world beater :-(

Thats true but if he came here he would more than likely sit on the bench anyway knowing the way Moyes works!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Manolas and Jelavic, good transfer window along with Donovan.

would rather us strengthen in midfield tbh, whilst im pleased we will have a striker, is there much point when we don't create chances for the ones we have already? all it means is that we will have someone who will have a more 50/50 chance of receiving the hoofballs rather than 90/10 chance we have at the moment of Saha not getting anywhere near the ball, Moyes is going to have to change his mentality and his tactics if we are going to get the best out of Jelavic.

would rather us strengthen in midfield tbh, whilst im pleased we will have a striker, is there much point when we don't create chances for the ones we have already? all it means is that we will have someone who will have a more 50/50 chance of receiving the hoofballs rather than 90/10 chance we have at the moment of Saha not getting anywhere near the ball, Moyes is going to have to change his mentality and his tactics if we are going to get the best out of Jelavic.

Maybe now that we have a forward that gets in to the penalty area he might get on the end of some of Bainsey's crosses. The fact he has put more crosses in than any other player in the Premiership kind of dispels the theory that we only hoof the ball up

31st August 2011 I went to the cinema with the missus to get away form the goings on. I was absolutely gutted when we lost Arteta, sat on the couch sulking. She got mad at me. Was an all round bad day.

Today we beat City, we buy a striker and Pienaar comes back on loan. Add to that Gibson looks a half decent player (better than expected) and we have still got Donovan for a few more weeks. We got rid of some dead wood in Saha and Billy, and we have kept hold of our best players and up and coming youngsters.

I hope this is one of them days that gives the club a boost, a good win over Wigan (like 2-0 or 3-0) at the weekend and this could be the turning point for a strong finish to the season.

Its been a while since i've been a happy Evertonian, but i'll sleep well tonight.

Finally a good transfer window. Diniyar Bilyaletdinov and Louis Saha left; Nikica Jelavic, Darron Gibson, Steven Pienaar and Landon Donovan signed.

Bilyaletdinov got sold for quite a bit of money (£5m) to Spartak, where I hope he'll be important to the team. Saha's contract ran out in the summer and he probably wouldn't have got an extension anyway so anything we've got for him is a bonus. We certainly won't be missing his goals either. I do think he'll be a fine third choice striker for Spurs though. I think he'll fit in better in their style of play and maybe a new challenge will have him motivated.

Nikica Jelavic cost us £5,5m apparently. I do think he's the type of striker we needed: a big, strong targetman and this one looks like a goalgetter as well. Hopefully he'll do the same for us. It seems like Moyes is definitely going for a more recognizable style of play because now all our striker fit in that targetman category. Stracqualursi and Vellios (and Anichebe) are strong blokes as well. Darron Gibson is looking like a steal. He's still adjusting to the team and I'd like to see some more adventurous passes, because the United fans I know seem to think he has got that in his locker as well. In any case, he's already got us 3 points. Steven Pienaar will probably head back over to the left, restore his partnership with Baines, who will hopefully get more freedom and space going forward now and will be getting the crosses in to our new striker. Landon Donovan will only be here for another month or so unfortunately and considering he's MLS property there's no chance he'll ever sign here on a permanent. Anyway, he's already been important in the time he's been here, getting the assist yesterday and two assists against Fulham... After he leaves he can be replaced by Drenthe. I'm really looking forward to the summer now. I think the outlook of our team might change quite a bit. Pienaar, Drenthe and Stracqualursi are only here on loan and I'd like to get them all signed permanently. I think we'll get Pienaar. The fact that Redknapp has let him go on loan probably means he'll be willing to let him go permanently as well if we can muster up the cash. I'm curious whether Drenthe will still be here next season. At the moment I'm not quite sure he'll even get a contract proposal and I'm not sure whether he'd want to sign one either. I think he'll be perfectly capable of signing for another PL club where the manager does fully believe in him. But still, even if Pienaar and Drenthe sign, I think we still need another wingman. Sylvain Distin's contract is out in the summer as well. I think he's still more than good enough to be playing regular football for us, but maybe we should let him go if we think more long term. We could play Heitinga and Jagielka in the middle and make Duffy our third choice centre back. We'll be trying to get another one in then, maybe Manolas. As we've seen yesterday, Hibbert can fill in their as well. Maybe Rodwell could do so as well or we could play Dier or Hammar.