IGNORED

Hansen refers to "coloured players" on Match of the Day

Anybody who tried to pin that on Hansen would be out of order.

There has to be an element of intent to accuse anybody of racism.

Please step forward and tell us exactly what terminology is best to describe somebody from a different ethnic background, because if saying coloured is racism, then the world has gone mad. The term 'coloured' was always a 'polite' and 'innocent' description.

If Hansen had called them rabbit chasing jigaboos I could understand, but come on. The world is suffocating itself.

Anybody who tried to pin that on Hansen would be out of order.

There has to be an element of intent to accuse anybody of racism.

Please step forward and tell us exactly what terminology is best to describe somebody from a different ethnic background, because if saying coloured is racism, then the world has gone mad. The term 'coloured' was always a 'polite' and 'innocent' description.

If Hansen had called them rabbit chasing jigaboos I could understand, but come on. The world is suffocating itself.

totally agree with that

Coloured is the sort of thing my nan would have said.

However this is the BBC and the lefty twats will be pissing their pants over this

I must admit I wasn't offended when he said coloured but i did think of a scene from Ocean's Eleven when I saw it:

It pissed Bernie off, but is that how "coloured" people react ten years on?

after all, to say "foreign" players would be inaccurate as a lot of ethnic players are from the uk, to say ethnic may have been inaccurate as well....coloured, although it sounds offensive, to me isn't. But I'm not "coloured" so how would I know what offends me? I do love the irony of a Liverpool player getting banned and fined for being racist, and then a former Liverpool player getting in trouble for talking about it.

He's only used to term because so many folks are worried about how to phrase ANYTHING remotely connected with race.

There was a time when 'black' was a term frowned up, and so 'coloured' was used (and to to included skin of any shade!)

Coloured / dark skinned / non-white etc... just political correctness gone barmy.

Racism needs to be stamped out - absolutely, but not at the cost of innocent men (like Hansen using a reasonable term that just 'might' those determined to get upset for the sake of it).

your not coloured so are you not white then.

That's the whole point isn't it? "Coloured" refers to a skin colour other than white, grouping together any ethnicity, race, gender, creed etc into one easily definable collective term, which may be why people of "colour" take offence, because it suggests a collective identity. In a certain light it can be deemed dismissive and ignorant to use the term. Of course I have a colour, I'm not see through, but if someone said I was coloured you wouldn't think white would you?

When it comes to Hansen saying it I think it falls into a grey area thoughdry.png

just a bit of banter regulator from me,things get to serious sometimes.

Ah fair enough mate, same here with the hansen joke (grey area? no? I'll get my coat), only I guess I feel there's a point to make with this because I think it's silly that anyone is making anything at all out of this in the first place.

Racism in the world in general isn't a patch on what it used to be, i think too many people forget that in a quest for political correctness, picking on words and expressions that barely insinuate racism in an effort to abolish it completely. As long as people are different there will always be a difference of opinion, and as long as there is ignorance there will always be ignorant views. It's just the way things are. Minimize it yes, but to eradict it completely is impossible.

I think instances like this make people grow tired of ethnicity related issues in our country. We shouldn't have to walk on eggshells in 2011 as a result of allowing other cultures to settle here. Our government should decide what words should be used to describe each other, and then anybody who doesn't like it, feel free to up sticks and emigrate, whether you are black, white, or flaming green with purple spots. We are all slightly different, be it height, weight, sex, hair colour, or anything else. What also makes us different, amongst other things, is our skin colour. If we are to describe each other, make a decision on the best way to describe each other, and put it to bed once and for all. Sorry, but it really gets on my tits all this. Football players like Collymore have no grounds to be standing on any high horse to be honest. What short memories we have when it suits us Stan. It wasn't long ago we were having to teach our children not to call a blackboard a blackboard. Now all of a sudden you decide you want to be called black again. You actually call yourself a certain word, but anybody else using it would be a racist.

Alan Hansen apologises after calling black footballers 'coloured'

Alan-Hansen-007.jpg

Alan Hansen has caused controversy after describing black players as 'coloured'. Photograph: Murdo Macleod

Alan Hansen has "unreservedly" apologised for twice using the word "coloured" to describe black footballers on Match of the Day on Wednesday evening when discussing the current John Terry and Luis Suárez racism cases.

Hansen, 56, the show's long-time pundit, said: "I unreservedly apologise for any offence caused – this was never my intention and I deeply regret the use of the word."

Employing the term had put Hansen at the centre of an online backlash after he said: "I think there's a lot of coloured players in all the major teams and there are lots of coloured players who are probably the best in the Premier League. If you look at 25 or 30 years ago it was probably in a bad way - not as bad as some of the other nations on the continent - but certainly there is always, always room for improvement."

The BBC said it has received 82 complaints over the use of the word, which caused a backlash on Twitter. The former Tottenham player Rohan Ricketts, now with Shamrock Rovers, tweeted: "Is this Alan Hansen guy taking the f****** piss?? I'm not coloured??? He is part of the problem when using that word. We are BLACK Alan! [sic]."

He added: "Alan Hansen is more coloured than a black person. But still we would not call him or another white man coloured." According to the Sun, the former England international Stan Collymore said: "Coloured? What colour would that be? Blue? Green? Orange?"

Edited by Avinalaff

Do they refer to the sexuality of a homosexual player? Do they refer to his choice of underwear after the match? Do they tell you his children are banned from a school for fighting? So I am not sure why they should refer to a player's skin colouration either. It is about football and a player's ability and or performance..

Call him by name, call him a player. Call him a bad player if you must, but why mention his physical appearance at all? Unless he is small or tall, or thin or large. (But that could also be called Sizist I suppose) Don't give the lefty loonies something to shout about. They are the vocal minority that ruin everything for normal folks.

I am not saying it was racist at all, just silly.

But we are happy to say "the short", or "the tall" or "the stocky" or 'the blonde" or "the ginger".

If someone's black and it HELPS to easily point him out, then say it... "the black lad". It's the most obvious thing about him! Unless he's 7ft in which case, there's a case for his height being the most obvious thing.

However, if it's a team of half black and half white (no not Newcastle!)... then certainly, you wonder why 'the black lad' would be the obvious way to identify someone.

There's a very strong case for saying the most insidious form of racism of all, is pretending people don't have colour, or religion, or creed etc.

Edited by BlueSky