IGNORED

Saha - racially abused on Twitter

Avinalaff

What is it with all these racial slurs and color issues just lately, no sooner do we learn of one instance than something else comes to the fore along these lines. I don't use Twitter, don't need to, don't want to, but I feel sometimes professional players putting themselves on these 'social network' type things are making a rod for their own backs. If I was Saha or any player come to think of it I just wouldn't feel it a good idea to put myself on and be left open to all sorts of types roaming the Internet. I don't think players should get involved in these things.

one good thing is these morons can always be traced,hit them with a big fine.

If only that were true.

It's incredibly easy NOT to be traced with a little knowledge.

Any public wifi spot will do you.

And if you're really paranoid...

Prepay SIM card, in a phone that's only used for that purpose, only turned on and off away from home, easy peasy. 100% untraceable.

The moment you ever use that phone elsewhere, or with another SIM, you're nicked, but until then... you're A.N. Other.

Of course you can also use umpteen proxies or a VPN, but those COULD be traced with enough effort (not that the police would make such an effort for a twitter rant)

The problem is...

50 years ago...in the USA, blacks were told "why try to live in a white town? you're inviting trouble on yourself". Which, to some extent was true...

But should they always run away from it? Because of prejudice... why should THEY have to modify their behaviour to avoid the problem.

In the end the racists win as long as they carry on managing to stop people having the same right as anybody else.

Eventually, they (anybody in an oppressed minority) has to face the demon and carry on, and let the morons reveal themselves for what they are. They can't keep hiding and running forever (the oppressed).

It is just beyond ridiculous to have an irrational fear of someone with different skin pigmentation to you.

Is it me or has racism become a bigger issue recently? If you look at the rise of the far right throughout history it generally coincides with times of great social strife and upheaval where a scapegoat must be found

I dont see the problem with them printing the full tweet. If a few letters are stared out you still know what it says, its not like their target audience are impressionable children.

The guy who sent it should be ashamed, at least it shows some justice. Act like a prick, get fired. Well done, what a tool.

It is just beyond ridiculous to have an irrational fear of someone with different skin pigmentation to you.

Is it me or has racism become a bigger issue recently? If you look at the rise of the far right throughout history it generally coincides with times of great social strife and upheaval where a scapegoat must be found

I am not saying he should avoid twitter because he is black. I am saying as a footballer/ celeb by going on twitter and giving ppl direct access to him he is opening himself up to abuse NOT specifically racist abuse but abuse. Thanks for the condescending lesson on racism but you completely missed the point.

Racism is obviously a very delicate subject but where does the whole line between what is oppression of minorities stop and freedom of speech begin. For example if you abuse someone for having ginger hair it is not seen as abuse but the colour is their skin is. You can banter someone for being fat or having bad personal hygiene but not for being gay. Being racist or homophobic is an opinion (not a nice one but an opinion) therefore trying to legislate peoples opinions is very difficult and I am not sure where it ends.

Racism in some sense is 'natural', in as much as murder is 'natural'.... it occurs in life naturally.

Naturally does not mean RIGHT, but it's a natural occurrence. If someone is significantly 'different' in belief., behaviour or appearance they are typically rejected from the group. Not in every case, but often, and even in the cases where they are not, they are 'incorporated' because of guilt, or a sense of duty to do the right thing.... which is basically having to fight the otherwise natural urge and invite them as a member of the 'group' anyway.

It's alarming how perception of the 'group' changes though.... if you're from Liverpool, the Manc's are the rejected ones, but if you're with southeners, it's the North vs South etc....

Or you have a great muslim mate at work and HE is ok... it's the 'rest of them' that are iffy.

We all do it to some degree... only SOME prejudice is now socially unacceptable. Religious, sexual or racial prejudice is pretty much taboo, but we'll still call the unemployed 'scroungers' or the Welsh 'sheep shaggers', the Scottish 'tight fisted' and the Norfolk lads 'inbred'... the list of examples is endless really.

So in a way, to be 'surprised' it still goes on is itself surprising. There's a wave of social 'facade' that pretends we don't do that sort of thing nowadays, and that it doesn't really go on. But I still hear names like 'puff' and 'queer' on the terraces..... it's still lurking under the surface.

Religious, sexual or racial prejudice is pretty much taboo, but we'll still call the unemployed 'scroungers' or the Welsh 'sheep shaggers', the Scottish 'tight fisted' and the Norfolk lads 'inbred'

If they dont like it they shouldnt scrounge, or shag sheep, or be cheap, or shag their sisters/mothers/brothers/cousins!

(if anyone doesnt see im messing you can email me getalife@takingthepiss.com)

If they dont like it they shouldnt scrounge, or shag sheep, or be cheap, or shag their sisters/mothers/brothers/cousins!

(if anyone doesnt see im messing you can email me getalife@takingthepiss.com)

*Yellow Card* - this isn't a Millwall forum ;-)

hehe@that email address. Some poor bugger might HAVE that, and they'll get all your Everton spam!

Edited by BlueSky

Agreed we all have predujices to certain I hate the underclass walking the streets picking up asbos and ruining peoples life's.

It's actually ppl acting on the opinion that causes the problem the opinion it self is not really an issue. If you just don't like certain ppl as long as you don't persecute them for it then surely you can hold what opinion you want.

http://www.evertonfc...pers-say-jan-10

The guardian has printed the full tweet unedited according to the OS! Something not quite right with that....

I don't see the problem with that personally...broadsheet newspapers have always printed stuff like that. I think it's ridiculous that the tabloids feel the need to asterisk out chunks of words when everyone knows full well what the missing letters are.

You give the words power if you can't discuss them in a grown-up way (as opposed to using them). If we just taught our kids that you can never use "the n word" they wouldn't know what the hell we were talking about.

I don't see the problem with that personally...broadsheet newspapers have always printed stuff like that. I think it's ridiculous that the tabloids feel the need to asterisk out chunks of words when everyone knows full well what the missing letters are.

You give the words power if you can't discuss them in a grown-up way (as opposed to using them). If we just taught our kids that you can never use "the n word" they wouldn't know what the hell we were talking about.

just thought there wasnt any need, especially as kids (although not the primary demographic) can read it.

Think if a kid's bright enough to be reading the Guardian they're going to understand the contextsmile.png .

maybe im being too sensitive about it then. I just wonder if a kid who supports Everton sees Saha on the page, tries reading through it before getting stuck at the phrase, turning round and saying "dad, what does.... mean?"

Racism in some sense is 'natural', in as much as murder is 'natural'.... it occurs in life naturally.

Naturally does not mean RIGHT, but it's a natural occurrence. If someone is significantly 'different' in belief., behaviour or appearance they are typically rejected from the group. Not in every case, but often, and even in the cases where they are not, they are 'incorporated' because of guilt, or a sense of duty to do the right thing.... which is basically having to fight the otherwise natural urge and invite them as a member of the 'group' anyway.

It's alarming how perception of the 'group' changes though.... if you're from Liverpool, the Manc's are the rejected ones, but if you're with southeners, it's the North vs South etc....

Or you have a great muslim mate at work and HE is ok... it's the 'rest of them' that are iffy.

We all do it to some degree... only SOME prejudice is now socially unacceptable. Religious, sexual or racial prejudice is pretty much taboo, but we'll still call the unemployed 'scroungers' or the Welsh 'sheep shaggers', the Scottish 'tight fisted' and the Norfolk lads 'inbred'... the list of examples is endless really.

So in a way, to be 'surprised' it still goes on is itself surprising. There's a wave of social 'facade' that pretends we don't do that sort of thing nowadays, and that it doesn't really go on. But I still hear names like 'puff' and 'queer' on the terraces..... it's still lurking under the surface.

What the fuc%!...........Keep on with that, Norfolk lads are....'inbreds', and you'll be in a whole lot of trouble!

you'll be getting a visit from me and my cousins.....and that's about 145 of us.

maybe im being too sensitive about it then. I just wonder if a kid who supports Everton sees Saha on the page, tries reading through it before getting stuck at the phrase, turning round and saying "dad, what does.... mean?"

there's now a facebook app that allows you to read all articles thats printed in the guardian now. im only 19 and wouldn't dream of buying that paper haha! but i do have a look while im checking my facebook.

No problem....just tell the kid what it means (and explain why s/he should never use it).

If the same kid was reading the S*n (justifiable asterisking there), read the same article and saw the word n*****r he'd ask the same question anyway.