IGNORED

Amazon Kindle/Tablets

Louis

I've just checked up on them (based on this thread alone) and i'm quite impressed, I won't utilise a proper tab for all its functions, but from a media 'player' perspective I may enquire more. Are they good?

And as Matt has sort of hinted, i may get mine from the US too but will it work? Or would i need to play around with it to make it compatible?

I managed to fix it, pretty good present, even if I do say so myself. :)

It now has internet radio

iPlayer

ITV Player

Can control SKY+ recordings remotely.

Few games and books too

Most Amazon services don't work because they are for Americans only.

Matt, I bought it on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300645315452 - next day delivery, you may be paying over the odds (it's £130 in US, but I've heard it's going to sell for £199 here but that's not confirmed) but there's a lot of unofficial support for it on internet and that seller on on ebay already has it in the UK for fast shipping. The US Amazon site doesn't delivery to UK.

It came with a US power adapter and the UK converter.

I also bought a case for it for £6 (bought that today, so can't review it) and you need a USB A to Micro B cable (£2) (and if you mess it up like I did, a factory cable which can cost £16 to import from US or buy another USB A to Micro B cable and take it to someone who can solder a 100ohm resistor between two pins)

Ten, it's pretty simple to do the messing around.. (he says after 'bricking' it, the problem is I was trying to be a smart arse). It's a 5 minute job.

My mum said she was up 'til 5am last night on it, so it seems they're a bit addictive..

You can choose different 'ROMS' for it on the enthusiast's unofficial sites, these are differing setups. The one you get when you buy it is ok, but it doesn't let you, as UK Amazon user do much with it. You can buy books on Amazon and that's it. I chose one that's based on it but lets you use Android Market.

• 8 months later...

I was gonig to wait for the Kindle Fire but I'd heard it won't be out over here for quite some time because it's heavy on the cloud stuff that is really big in America but hasn't really taken off here just yet.

Going on sale on the 25th....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083Q04M2/ref=amb_link_171484367_3?ie=UTF8&nav_sdd=aps&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0R1AVWCHTJQRJ4XS573M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=325871387&pf_rd_i=468294

• 2 months later...

Josh had a tablet delivered today....only a cheap one (was £65 when he ordered it inc. case & keyboard)...

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/37623768/696312164/7-inch-Google-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-Computer-Notebook-MID-APAD-EPAD-4GB-Capacitive-Touch-Screen-High-Speed-Processor-FREE-USB-Keyboard-Case-DD/ListingDetails.html?ptsl=1

Quite impressed with it; doesn't feel cheap at all and works brilliantly. Just need to get a 32gb SD card so it has a decent level of storage.

I want onesad.png .

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 32gb nexus - very good indeed. How anyone can justify apple based on their extortionate cost and locked down content is beyond me. I do use an iPhone - quick and simple. For a tablet I want more freedom.

Anyone found any decent ePub sites? I buy off kindle but wondering if anywhere else?

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 32gb nexus - very good indeed. How anyone can justify apple based on their extortionate cost and locked down content is beyond me. I do use an iPhone - quick and simple. For a tablet I want more freedom.

Anyone found any decent ePub sites? I buy off kindle but wondering if anywhere else?

Got another site for you, Haf - ebookoid.com