IGNORED

Amazon Kindle/Tablets

Louis

Mike, I'm in same boat..

Awaiting Kindle fire, some sources have said it's due out this month but I can't find anything official.

I've been tempted to buy an import from ebay. It's to be a present for my mum.

Which version do you have Romey ? Do you buy books or stick to the free ones available?

Ten - crap joke. Just as well he wasn't talking about a King of Leon song.

I was gonig to wait for the Kindle Fire but I'd heard it won't be out over here for quite some time because it's heavy on the cloud stuff that is really big in America but hasn't really taken off here just yet.

Louis - I've got the new version of the Kindle. I will be buying books for it, but I got a load of books for free (;)) from someone I know that will keep me going for a good while.

I have a Kindle (4th gen) .. got it for Christmas and absolutely love it. It's small, doesn't weigh much , yet reads just like a real book .. Ideal for on the Train, in bed, etc.. Fits in the pocket of my coat so I always have it with me, got about 10 books on it (mix of fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, thriller, "literature").. Kicking myself that I didn't get it sooner.

There's a lot of free books (legal) : http://www.gutenberg.org/ .

In the not so legal category I've yet to search for a certain book and not find it.

Has the eBook taken the place of the physical copy for anyone?

Not sure because I've not got one but I'd imagine it'd be (for me) like downloading music vs buying CDs....if it's something I'm not sure about then download but if it's something really special I'd want a hard copy.

The Kindle is

The Kindle Fire also has movies, games and email.

The Tablet that Matt link does all of the above but is not locked to only amazon products.

The iPad is a watered down version of a tablet because they lock you into Apple services.

Tablets are best imo, but don't have the appeal to a non-tech person.

e-books reportedly outsell print books now

http://www.nytimes.c...y/20amazon.html

http://www.bgr.com/2...print-books-31/ - Barnes and Noble say ebooks outsell print 3 to 1.

High street bookshops are all in trouble. Sad for those of us in the writing business, as the switch to digital copies means it will be even harder to eke out a living. Books will go the same way as records.

Not sure because I've not got one but I'd imagine it'd be (for me) like downloading music vs buying CDs....if it's something I'm not sure about then download but if it's something really special I'd want a hard copy.

I wonder if that's a generation thing. Owning the book / vinyl, feeling the cover, reading the insert, was part of the appeal (for me, anyway). I'm not sure that's the case now. Getting old.

and I've killed it already. .crying.gif

I have to order some USB cable from a guy in Massachusetts now to try and fix it.

Rang a company in Telford about getting one, they want a minimum order of 50 and the price would be £7-20.

Could probably sell them on ebay but it's not worth the risk financially, especially when the cable imported is £16. It doesn't make sense that there are no UK sellers (Motorola use same cable).