IGNORED

Rangers could file for administration

Would it even be such a shame if Glasgow Rangers even disappeared off the scene though, even Celtic have said they wouldn't care too much (fair enough), what they do is their business, with all due respect the SPL is a farce, no side outside the Old Firm two have been league Champions since 1984/85! huh.png so there will be less in the way of competition for other Scots sides outside of the city to try and take honors. Actually the green half would be even more dominant than they are now come to think of it but there you go

• 3 weeks later...

Any players worth a look in?

Only Allen McGregor for me as he's a top quality goalkeeper. He's 30 though so I doubt that it would happen, I would have said David Healy a few years back as he looked like he was going to be a world-beater but unfortunatly he went shit for Fulham and his career has gone down the pan, I'd expect someone like Wigan pick him up should Rangers slide.

You would have to feel it will all turn out nice in the end, they'll be around for a while longer, OK maybe may not get anything this season, but they've had their share for as long as anyone can remember, the wrongs will right themselves and they'll be back. All teams go through problems and more often than not survive and pull through, this is no exception. It won't be the end of the world at Ibrox Stadium if they fail to win anything this season, or maybe I'm being flippant with the severity of any problems up there, but I do feel this will all work out for the best sooner or later

All teams go through problems and more often than not survive and pull through, this is no exception.

Bit more serious than most I think...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17290640

"...no-one should be in any doubt that, in the absence of sufficient cost-cutting measures or receipt of substantial unplanned income, the club will not be able to fulfil its fixtures throughout the remainder of the season."

Guest blueboy122

Was'nt that Wylde meant to be quite a good player from reports anyway!

I find it hard to believe such a massive club could fall in this way. Why have they got so much debt its not as if they have done a leeds or portsmouth and gone out and bought loads of players for high bucks. They get great attendences they are always in Europe wheather it be Champions league or Europa so surely they must earn from that? Merchandise sales across the globe etc..

I struggle to see how Glasgow Rangers are a big club. They are a big club in Scotland but put into the big wide world they are nothing, they will get some money for qualifying for Europa/Champions League but it won't be much for the actual qualifying stages and that is where they almost always seem to end up failing. Bar a few years back when they got to the Semi Finals Rangers have done nothing in Europe and have never once been on the same cloud as the likes of Barcelona, Milan and Real Madrid.

Merchandise sales across the globe is another factor I struggle to see into. They probably have a good following in Glasgow but I don't think they have the pulling power of the other teams around Europe, they probably make a tidy profit but it's nothing within the likes of what we would imagine. I predict that Everton makes a lot more in a year on shirt sales than what Glasgow Rangers do.

It still surprises me that they are going down the pan but it's the league they are in which makes them look so good.

Zoo, the history of Rangers, and football, stretches back further than your 18 years of life. Scottish football and Rangers haven't always been shite.

Maybe, but still in the past 18 years then they have been playing in a poor league and when they get out of that league and into Europe they don't seem to do much for themselves. I'm not saying I'm happy with the situation and I feel sorry for the fans, I was also quite shocked with how they went into administration as I thought they were a solid club, I just never imagined them as a 'big' club equal to the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea down here.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe, but still in the past 18 years then they have been playing in a poor league and when they get out of that league and into Europe they don't seem to do much for themselves. I'm not saying I'm happy with the situation and I feel sorry for the fans, I was also quite shocked with how they went into administration as I thought they were a solid club, I just never imagined them as a 'big' club equal to the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea down here.

Chelsea? you are kidding right?

Glasgow Rangers are like... a Red Star Belgrade, CSKA Sofia, Borussia Monchengladbach etc etc, not in the super elite, but a name that any fan will have heard of and consider a large club. They can't help the league they are in (like the aforementioned clubs) but they do have quite a following.

No disrespect to Chelsea, but there's is a relatively recent rise in stature, 10 years ago they weren't on 'the stage' at all. That's not to say that recent fame is bad and old fame is good... just saying that over the course of history, Ranger (and Celtic) leave many clubs in their wake.

As for not doing well in Europe - well no, they don't... they aren't such a good team. Big club, poor team it happens... just like Nottingham Forest were a relatively small club with a fantastic team in their hey day (and conquered Europe)

Rangers is the first serious big name to get into major trouble, but how long (potentially) before it's a Liverpool, United, Everton etc? could happen to any of our clubs.

I can't help but feel until a club truly DOES go under, folks keep thinking there's always a rescue package somewhere. Sooner or later, there won't be.

He's right, Chelsea are not a big club, never have been, never will, unless you want to classify one FA cup and one league title (with the lowest league championship points ever) before 1997 as some sort of mammoth history.

The SPL is a farce, and has been for as long as anyone can remember, we've debated at length that the Old Firm should relocate elsewhere, if even for a trial period, at least give some other guys a chance up there, but I do remember Glasgow Rangers being quite a force years back, winning the ECWC before we did and getting to a few european cup semi-finals with players like Baxter and Henderson, they had a good line up for a while.

Anyone remember Third Lanark, they went under too years ago, out of business etc, not as big as what we have here but they were a famous Scots club for a while and did quite well for a short period.

Chelsea? you are kidding right?

Glasgow Rangers are like... a Red Star Belgrade, CSKA Sofia, Borussia Monchengladbach etc etc, not in the super elite, but a name that any fan will have heard of and consider a large club. They can't help the league they are in (like the aforementioned clubs) but they do have quite a following.

No disrespect to Chelsea, but there's is a relatively recent rise in stature, 10 years ago they weren't on 'the stage' at all. That's not to say that recent fame is bad and old fame is good... just saying that over the course of history, Ranger (and Celtic) leave many clubs in their wake.

As for not doing well in Europe - well no, they don't... they aren't such a good team. Big club, poor team it happens... just like Nottingham Forest were a relatively small club with a fantastic team in their hey day (and conquered Europe)

Rangers is the first serious big name to get into major trouble, but how long (potentially) before it's a Liverpool, United, Everton etc? could happen to any of our clubs.

I can't help but feel until a club truly DOES go under, folks keep thinking there's always a rescue package somewhere. Sooner or later, there won't be.

Still 8 more years than "City" no disrespect like wink.png

Thing is it never used to be a poor league though. first and foremost im a scouser but i grew up in Scotland, and i remember the tail end of fergie's reign at Aberdeen (thats where i grew up) they and Dundee United broke the Rangers and Celtic stranglehold on football for a number of years, it used to be a competitive league. Many of the teams up there produced many good players in the past, just look how many quality scot's the shite have had playing for them over the years. Just think how many ex-pat Scot's there are around the world, there are a hell of a lot of Rangers fans out there, far more than Chelski fans i bet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

Zoo, the history of Rangers, and football, stretches back further than your 18 years of life. Scottish football and Rangers haven't always been shite.

Correct.

I am a Rangers fan, who signed up to discuss Jelavic. It's not in my nature to be nasty to anyone, but I will simply say I agree with you wholeheartedly. Some folk need to realise that football existed for more than a century before the Premier League was created.

We are a big club. I am not delusional, we are not Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan etc, but we are a pretty big club and well-known throughout many parts of the world.

If we were talking about money and performances over the last fifteen years, then Chelsea are a bigger club than Ajax and Benfica, which is simply not true.

It has saddened me that globalisation has severely weakened big clubs in lesser leagues, and strengthened smaller clubs in better leagues (Chelsea), but it's the way of the capitalist world unfortunately.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I wonder if being banned for life from Scottish soccer really constitutes a punishment.

I mean, some would see that as a blessing or something..

Is there any need for the derogatory comment? You seem like a good guy but I don't know why people are kicking Scottish football when it is down. We know our league is of very poor quality, and that the Old Firm are far from angels, but we can't do much with limited resources and financial constraints in this globalised era.

As I said in my intro thread, this is far more your site than mine, but this is the general football section and is not relevant to Everton, so I think it's okay for me to post here more frequently than there if others are fine with it. As this thread concerns my club, I don't see any need for comments mocking Rangers. We as fans (the decent ones) are well aware of the club's faults both on and off the pitch, but I don't see how rubbing salt into our wounds is of any purpose.

I realise you probably didn't mean any harm and were just having a bit of fun, but we receive many comments like this from non-Scottish fans and it does become frustrating. As I say, you seem sound and it's not my intention to argue, but I just don't see what comments putting us down can achieve.

As for the issue in regards to our entering administration, Whyte is and seemingly always has been a conman, but obviously it runs a lot deeper than that and the problems were there long before he arrived.

It's depressing what is happening us, but on the other hand I am pretty ashamed of some of the underhand things the club has done. Putting my morals aside and putting on my blue-tinted glasses, I just hope it doesn't end in liquidation. I have been burying my head in the sand about it for weeks. If a Phoenix club does emerge, my brother (he's a season ticket holder) has said that he won't support them, as it won't be Rangers to him.

I think a lot of fans feel similarly.

Edited by Nikica

I'm not really a 'good guy' so to speak, certainly no angel.

It wasn't meant to be derogatory either, but from a Scots perspective, can see where you're coming from.

I think most neutral observers would see the SPL as a rather trivial league, with all due respect, no side outside of Glasgow has been League Champs since 1984-85, so where's the fun in that?

I'm a great believer in both Celts and 'Gers leaving the SPL, if only for a trial period, and to give some other guys a chance, there will be an all Edinburgh Final in the Scots Cup next month, which I think seems a welcome relief actually, there's no sense in the same clubs being in the same finals all the time, let someone else have a day out an all.

Rangers and Celtic are better than the SPL, both teams were in European Cup Finals the last 10 years and beat some worthwhile opposition on route, I think sometimes they're wasted up there if you understand.

The Old Firm encounters, and rivalry, above all else sometimes seems to be overshadowed by sectarian politics than general soccer many will argue.

Is there any need for the derogatory comment? You seem like a good guy but I don't know why people are kicking Scottish football when it is down. We know our league is of very poor quality, and that the Old Firm are far from angels, but we can't do much with limited resources and financial constraints in this globalised era.

As I said in my intro thread, this is far more your site than mine, but this is the general football section and is not relevant to Everton, so I think it's okay for me to post here more frequently than there if others are fine with it. As this thread concerns my club, I don't see any need for comments mocking Rangers. We as fans (the decent ones) are well aware of the club's faults both on and off the pitch, but I don't see how rubbing salt into our wounds is of any purpose.

I realise you probably didn't mean any harm and were just having a bit of fun, but we receive many comments like this from non-Scottish fans and it does become frustrating. As I say, you seem sound and it's not my intention to argue, but I just don't see what comments putting us down can achieve.

As for the issue in regards to our entering administration, Whyte is and seemingly always has been a conman, but obviously it runs a lot deeper than that and the problems were there long before he arrived.

It's depressing what is happening us, but on the other hand I am pretty ashamed of some of the underhand things the club has done. Putting my morals aside and putting on my blue-tinted glasses, I just hope it doesn't end in liquidation. I have been burying my head in the sand about it for weeks. If a Phoenix club does emerge, my brother (he's a season ticket holder) has said that he won't support them, as it won't be Rangers to him.

I think a lot of fans feel similarly.

All that i didnt notice your accent at all. Well done.

I probably favor Celtic out of the SPL clubs to be honest, not a green light for a war or anything, just saying.

I remember we played Rangers in the summer of 1997, it was either a friendly or part of a soccer tourney, Ajax and Chelsea dry.png were also involved too I vividly recall, beat them 3-2 and also beat Ajax 1-0 around about the time, I remember the night well, went out in an Everton shirt thinking we were kings of Europe, fucking silly in retrospect, but they were a damn good side then and I thought it was an outstanding result. Was younger too back then in my defense. Cant remember the name of the tournament but someone may be able to assist with that.

Guest Nikica

I'm not really a 'good guy' so to speak, certainly no angel.

It wasn't meant to be derogatory either, but from a Scots perspective, can see where you're coming from.

I think most neutral observers would see the SPL as a rather trivial league, with all due respect, no side outside of Glasgow has been League Champs since 1984-85, so where's the fun in that?

I'm a great believer in both Celts and 'Gers leaving the SPL, if only for a trial period, and to give some other guys a chance, there will be an all Edinburgh Final in the Scots Cup next month, which I think seems a welcome relief actually, there's no sense in the same clubs being in the same finals all the time, let someone else have a day out an all.

Rangers and Celtic are better than the SPL, both teams were in European Cup Finals the last 10 years and beat some worthwhile opposition on route, I think sometimes they're wasted up there if you understand.

The Old Firm encounters, and rivalry, above all else sometimes seems to be overshadowed by sectarian politics than general soccer many will argue.

Cheers, yeah I agree with all of that obviously and have said the same thing before. As I say, I realise that the SPL has become a joke, but there's not much we can do about it tbh.

Guest Nikica

All that i didnt notice your accent at all. Well done.

I type in proper English. I leave the colloquial language to when I am speaking to my fellow countrymen.

I dislike text talk or typing in an accent in general. The closest I come to it is 'aye' or 'ma man'.

Guest Nikica

I probably favor Celtic out of the SPL clubs to be honest, not a green light for a war or anything, just saying.

I remember we played Rangers in the summer of 1997, it was either a friendly or part of a soccer tourney, Ajax and Chelsea dry.png were also involved too I vividly recall, beat them 3-2 and also beat Ajax 1-0 around about the time, I remember the night well, went out in an Everton shirt thinking we were kings of Europe, fucking silly in retrospect, but they were a damn good side then and I thought it was an outstanding result. Was younger too back then in my defense. Cant remember the name of the tournament but someone may be able to assist with that.

Was probably a testimonial. I was young then too and can't quite recall.

Also, it doesn't concern me that Celtic are your preference. I am not a bigot: I despise all the sectarian rubbish, and plenty of my friends are Celtic men. You won't find a war from me regarding that.

The Scottish league has been in decline since the 80s, the gradient has simply got steeper over the last decade. Both Rangers and Celtic have had some fantastic players over the last fifteen years: Numan, Klos, Moravcik (amazing player), Van Bronckhorst, Barry Ferguson in his younger days, the De Boer twins, Negri, Berkovic, Petrov etc. Then there's the big three: Laudrup, Larsson and Gascoigne.

Jelavic is the best player to play in the SPL since that wave of players, but as highly as I rate him, he's really not up there with some of the names above. It shows that the SPL's decline is permanent and irreversible.