IGNORED

Moyes Selection - A White Flag to the demands of a top club

http://www.totalfoot...-of-a-top-club/

Amidst the despondency that has hung around since the Anfield derby humiliation on Tuesday, I imagine I am supposed to feel that all will be validated if Everton beat Sunderland in Saturday’s FA Cup quarter-final. Well no, not for me. Not good enough Dave. That’s just not acceptable.

The decision to rest key players confesses a lack of belief in the squad’s ability to consistently rise to the occasion; it is a white flag to the demands of a top club.

If the passing of the manager’s decade in charge was not sufficient motivation to go for the throat, then the inevitable ’10 years and you’ve won f*** all’ chants should have been. I thought Moyes would be salivating for this game: the chance to eradicate an unwanted legacy against the enemy at their place, and create the sort of momentum and spirit that defines his success at Everton, leading into a quarter-final.

I can even imagine him sat intensely brooding in a darkened room all week, watching old tapes of Liverpool’s European Cup finals on mute with nothing but a bottle of Scotch and Alex Ferguson’s “knock Liverpool off their f****** perch” quote ringing in his ears. Furthermore, Liverpool had lost their last three with Everton losing just two of the last 16 in all competitions.

Mockery of the fans

But instead, Moyes decided to drop four of his most influential players (plus Tim Cahill and Phil Neville) from the weekend’s uplifting home win against Tottenham, and in so doing, devalue one of world football’s most intense rivalries; he made a mockery of the fans who had paid to go and watch. It beggars belief and my fear is that it will stick long in the mind.

Everton’s success under Moyes has been characterised by gutsy, cohesive performances against the Premier League’s richer, more talented teams. The club’s failure to enter the elite is due to the infrequency of those games.

Now of course money comes into it, but when you consider that a win would have taken Everton above Liverpool, I really don’t think competing is beyond our current means, especially when you consider that we didn’t turn up for the first half of the season.

Admittedly, Everton’s fixture list for March is tough – seven games including consecutive matches against Tottenham, Liverpool, Sunderland and Arsenal – and of course, squad rotation is essential to modern football. But to have pinpointed the derby, and such an important one, as a losaeble game is frankly un-Moyes-like in its gutlessness.

Fantasist

Call me a fantasist but I don’t think aiming to win all four was out of our reach. Yes I am incredibly biased, and still unsettled by that numbing performance, but let me give my claim some depth…

In 2009, when Everton reached the FA Cup final, we played Liverpool three times in 16 days, with games against Arsenal and Manchester United sandwiched in between. Of those five, we lost only once to a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty, and if Leon Osman, Tim Cahill and Phil Neville had started the game on Tuesday, Everton would have fielded nine of the 11 players who started the majority of those games.

Three years down the line, how can you throw in the towel without accepting you’ve gone backwards? How can you interpret surrender as anything other than admission of inferiority? The spirit that galvanises Everton was cultivated in atmospheres like 2009 and Tuesday at Anfield. To deny fans the unique pride, dedication and passion we have come to expect, denies the very nature of Everton Football Club.

Now just to position myself definitively: I am a huge Moyes fan, and nothing will ever sway me from that. He has done too much good to ever become bad in my eyes.

But after the galling shambles that was the start of the season, and now our fleeting source of optimism – our recent form, sacrificed for a cup tie, there is but one thing to say: we had better win!

Edited by tenaciousj

I wonder how he would have approached the game if he was a manager of an Old Firm club?.....

Yeah as if he wouldn't have needed an bodyguard for trying that stunt - rightly so - you don't devalue a derby match like he did.

Post match would he have accepted defeat because he got 3 unexpected points against aberdeen? He would have been run out of town.

Great article Ten.

No matter who you are or who you are playing, you are professional and as such you go out every time to WIN the game. If you lose so be it at least you tried. Hard games coming up? OK Win the first one first and then plan for the next, do not think Oh we can win the last one so we won't bother with the ones before.

Mr D Moyes Esq. should hang his head in shame at what he did for the derby game. If he doesn't he has no right to be in charge of our club no matter how good a manager he his or is not.

Dumbfounded to be honest with the team selection it just reiterates many people's opinion that Moyes is tactically inept.

This is the reason why I believe He will never be a top club manager He is severely let down by the above.

well there is some story floating about that he threw a wobbly because Sharp criticised the team before and after the game on the radio, and obviously Sharp is also employed by the club.

I acknowledge that I am in a minority here, but personally I think there has been an over-reaction to what was ultimately a horrible night for us all (regardless of whether we thought it right or wrong we all suffered the humiliation). My thinking..

1) In the run up to this week I knew in my mind that if we had to have 1 win, 1 defeat then I would 100% have taken the win as being in the cup game. In fact I remember thinking to myself it may be a first time ever that I would take a Derby defeat in return for another win. I accept the argument that losing the Derby increases the pressure for the cup game and that this may make it harder to win the cup tie, but ultimately in the current fast paced game I am inclined to believe that the fitness/recovery of players is more important than this psychology of a winning run.

2) Even if we had played our best (?) 11, who knows what the outcome would have been. In general play there wasn't 3 goals between the sides, the real difference was how much more ruthless Liverpool were in their attacks. Gerrard, Suarez and Henderson gave us trouble all night. I thought Baines had a poor game by his standards, though he wasn't helped by moving Pienaar from LM.

3) We need to win something, we really do. Sure, winning the cup is going to be really difficult. IF we win the QF then the chances are we will have to beat 2 out of Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool to lift the cup but we are capable. What's more if we want European football, getting to the Final may be enough.

4) In the 2nd half we brought on Drenthe, Osman and Jelavic and frankly we were worse. In the first half between say 10th anh minute we were ok, or at least we were worse in the 2nd half. The 2nd half performance was dire.

5) Finally (and don't shoot me) - the Liverpool fans are right, we treat the Derby as our cup final. I'm as guilty of this as anybody, I feel sick to the stomach every Derby Day. Those all too rare Derby wins are fantastic. But, bottom line it is still 3 points. If we really are going to move on then lets move on by winning things, qualifying for Europe (yes, I know a win would have got us to 7th place etc).

Very rarely do I keep away from press, websites, etc but I did this week as I knew things would be hysterical. Things will be worse if we lose against Sunderland.

But maybe its not the manager that had a lack of ambition this week, maybe its us. Just a thought.

I may well be wrong about this but I will say this - I am absolutely certain that Moyes and the players will put things right on Saturday.

COYB.

Phil, playing 3 players who still lack any sort of fitness to compete in a competitive game let alone a derby shows complete and utter disregard or negligence. This from a manager who has had far too much smoke blown up his arse due to having had approx 10x52x£50000 (on average)

Moyes has a position at man united, of that I'm sure... It's as a number 2 go pep guardiola - where he can spend his time on the training pitch doing his diligent work as told, and then in the game where he tries to mention to pep that danni alves is leaving the back exposed he's told to "shut the f'ck up"

He's a good man, I do believe that, I'm just annoyed that he can't see the error in his ways that stop him being the manager he deserves to be.

A mistake by Moyes. And i dont often admit to Moyes being anything other than godlike, but this time Moysey you need to take a lesson from this. You made a mistake and one that will take a lot of forgiving.

But i am an Everton fan and i will forgive as i always do if it is made right by going for it for the rest of the season.

I can understand your thoughts and have sympathy for a tough month of fixtures, but this was Liverpool! i have not hated going into work the next day this much for a long time.

One thing i did see which we dont often from you Moysey is a very positive decision regarding subs. it is not often you make such attacking subs untill the last 8 minutes of a game and for that i hope it is a sign of things to come as we fans would rather see that than hang on to that solo point or one goal lead. Alas this time though it was too late the damage was already done by team selection.

My Moyes, i challenge you to show us that you had the bigger picture in mind by winning the cup, finishing in the top 7 and re-introducing the next big thing in Barkley.

Come on you F***ing Blues lets put these black cats down!

Phil.

Usually i look at things that same way and try to look at that so called bigger picture.

Fact is though, there is no bigger picture than beating the reds and going above them.

Your thoughts and comments are full of reason and valid points,. but thats for managers to do!

I too was disappointed with the team selection on Tuesday and even more disappointed by the performance.

But when we talk about the bigger picture we really have to look at just that.

At the start of the season, given our transfer activity on deadline day, I would have taken 8th place in the league. Realistically, 8th place may have seen us still punching above our weight. Who foresaw Newcastle's continued good form?

In December, after disappointing home performances all season not many of us thought 8th place was anywhere near achievable.

Yet, look now at the bigger picture. We have a real chance of finishing inside the top 8 and a better than even chance of a Wembley trip in the Cup.

Back on 1st September last year, many of us would have thought that a decent season?

Guys,

I take and see your points completely. I do of course stick with what I say.

If we go out of the cup to Sunderland then his gamble would have failed. But I just think the reward was worth the risk.

Whoever is right/wrong (nobody - just opinions) I just hope that tomorrow lunchtime is fervant support. Win together and lose together.

I acknowledge that I am in a minority here, but personally I think there has been an over-reaction to what was ultimately a horrible night for us all (regardless of whether we thought it right or wrong we all suffered the humiliation). My thinking..

1) In the run up to this week I knew in my mind that if we had to have 1 win, 1 defeat then I would 100% have taken the win as being in the cup game. In fact I remember thinking to myself it may be a first time ever that I would take a Derby defeat in return for another win. I accept the argument that losing the Derby increases the pressure for the cup game and that this may make it harder to win the cup tie, but ultimately in the current fast paced game I am inclined to believe that the fitness/recovery of players is more important than this psychology of a winning run.

2) Even if we had played our best (?) 11, who knows what the outcome would have been. In general play there wasn't 3 goals between the sides, the real difference was how much more ruthless Liverpool were in their attacks. Gerrard, Suarez and Henderson gave us trouble all night. I thought Baines had a poor game by his standards, though he wasn't helped by moving Pienaar from LM.

3) We need to win something, we really do. Sure, winning the cup is going to be really difficult. IF we win the QF then the chances are we will have to beat 2 out of Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool to lift the cup but we are capable. What's more if we want European football, getting to the Final may be enough.

4) In the 2nd half we brought on Drenthe, Osman and Jelavic and frankly we were worse. In the first half between say 10th anh minute we were ok, or at least we were worse in the 2nd half. The 2nd half performance was dire.

5) Finally (and don't shoot me) - the Liverpool fans are right, we treat the Derby as our cup final. I'm as guilty of this as anybody, I feel sick to the stomach every Derby Day. Those all too rare Derby wins are fantastic. But, bottom line it is still 3 points. If we really are going to move on then lets move on by winning things, qualifying for Europe (yes, I know a win would have got us to 7th place etc).

Very rarely do I keep away from press, websites, etc but I did this week as I knew things would be hysterical. Things will be worse if we lose against Sunderland.

But maybe its not the manager that had a lack of ambition this week, maybe its us. Just a thought.

I may well be wrong about this but I will say this - I am absolutely certain that Moyes and the players will put things right on Saturday.

COYB.

You ask are we capable of beating the likes of Spurs and Chelsea.......check the results in the recent few weeks!

Too much credit is being given to liverpool for the other night, we were disjointed and rusty, that made them look quite a bit better than if we'd started with a confident 1st eleven.Gerrard was fired up and he inspired his team mates, that was the major difference.

I also would rather if we had to lose one game have the victory against Sunderland, I sure as hell hope that happens.

A good win might just get Moyes out of jail.Can we beat Spurs and Chelsea sure......can we beat liverpool if Gerrard inspires them again, we can if we pose more of a threat up front and don't give Gerrard the freedom he had the other night.

Could well be an Everton V Stoke final !

You say Everton fans treat the derby as a cup final, I know a few reds who regard the Everton game as one they must win, same thing surely.

You ask are we capable of beating the likes of Spurs and Chelsea.......check the results in the recent few weeks! Too much credit is being given to liverpool for the other night, we were disjointed and rusty, that made them look quite a bit better than if we'd started with a confident 1st eleven.Gerrard was fired up and he inspired his team mates, that was the major difference. I also would rather if we had to lose one game have the victory against Sunderland, I sure as hell hope that happens. A good win might just get Moyes out of jail.Can we beat Spurs and Chelsea sure......can we beat liverpool if Gerrard inspires them again, we can if we pose more of a threat up front and don't give Gerrard the freedom he had the other night. Could well be an Everton V Stoke final ! You say Everton fans treat the derby as a cup final, I know a few reds who regard the Everton game as one they must win, same thing surely.

I know loads of Reds that are desperate to win it and most are honest enough to admit that, the song about our cup final is a good bait especially when we are losing the 'final'. I just think the time may have come for us to hide the importance of it from them a bit.

I don't ask if we can beat those sides, I state that we are capable of it and I do believe we can get to the Final and maybe even win it....and that is precisely why I back the DM decision this week.

Why are people talking about a gamble paying off!? Has Moyes stated He took a gamble on his selection due to the Sunderland game...not that I'm aware of

He got it wrong and took the game for granted in my book no excuses or presumptions. We have seen time and time again certain players getting games when others should be.

Why drop Johnny our best CB who likes to get stuck in and get the team going for Jags who is returning from injury and is well below par even pre-injury.

Why play two strikers who are in a similar mould when you have a player in Jelavic who is the perfect foil for those types of players sat on his arse and so on......

I'm not anit Moyes He's a good manager but as previously said tactically He's shite tbh and people really do need to stop making excuses for such shite managerial cock-ups.

As for rather winning the game against Sunderland I know which one I'd rather win.....

Tuesday night hurt and Moyes it seems had one eye on this weekend with regards to the shite fixture. At risk of a backlash out of the two games I would have taken a win over Sunderland tomorrow and had a shite defeat and moved on after the event, well half of that has come to pass, and there are some big expectations tomorrow in that the players and Moyes redeem themselves and get us back into the semi finals once again and one step closer to glory ahead, you never know what will happen

Moyes saw tomorrow as priority over a result against our excellent neighbors, now I appreciate that is unforgivable in one or two supporters eyes, that's perfectly understandable, I wanted to beat those pricks as much anyone else in Blue, Moyes made changes, the team did not produce, put in a lame effort and by god there was some reaction afterwards. The way I see it, tuesday is water under the bridge now, we have vented our frustrations, been candid in our evaluations and observations of three nights ago, but the result won't change. All said we simply require a marked improvement for tomorrow and as Moyes seems to favor the FA cup now, he can maybe deliver on what he sees so important and take us through to the last four by end of weekend. I still feel quietly confident about this game tomorrow, the venue will be the deciding factor but there could be trouble ahead if the north east side can escape with a draw to take home

Let's remember something - Tuesday wasn't just a derby, it was a chance to go 7th and be breathing down the necks of Newcastle in 6th. Considering the first half of the season we had, 6th/7th would be a massive achievement and one that I now feel is out of our grasp. We didn't just capitulate a derby, in my eyes we capitulated a potential European spot on Tuesday, and for that Moyes needs to have a long, hard look at himself.