IGNORED

Celtic and the Football League

'The People' is reporting that Celtic have held talks with the football league with a view to join the football league in the future.

http://www.skysports...7606281,00.html

yeah i saw something about this, think it's rubbish tbh, imo they have to stay in their own country. I thought the Jocks all want to be independent from the English anyway? they defo can't play then.

pipe dream imo

I don't think it's likely to happen just yet, but I think it will in the future.

I don't have a problem with it, however I do think that they should start as high as possible outside of the Conference.. similar to what AFC Wimbledon have had to do. It's unfair on the existing clubs in the Football League and conference for a team to simply come in and take over someone else's place.

yeah i saw something about this, think it's rubbish tbh, imo they have to stay in their own country. I thought the Jocks all want to be independent from the English anyway? they defo can't play then.

pipe dream imo

What about Cardiff and Swansea then?

I don't think it's likely to happen just yet, but I think it will in the future.

I don't have a problem with it, however I do think that they should start as high as possible outside of the Conference.. similar to what AFC Wimbledon have had to do. It's unfair on the existing clubs in the Football League and conference for a team to simply come in and take over someone else's place.

Whilst I see that it would be fair in a theoretical sense, Celtic are a decent side and would survive in the EPL but most importantly, they have money. Asking them to start at the bottom takes away promotion opportunities from smaller, more poor, clubs whos survival may depend on getting promoted to League 2 that season.

What about Cardiff and Swansea then?

Whilst I see that it would be fair in a theoretical sense, Celtic are a decent side and would survive in the EPL but most importantly, they have money. Asking them to start at the bottom takes away promotion opportunities from smaller, more poor, clubs whos survival may depend on getting promoted to League 2 that season.

Cardiff and Swansea should be playing in the league of Wales imo, at the end of the day Scotland as a nation wants to separate from us, so why should we let them come and play in our football league.

Although there is an argument that says without Rangers and Celtic in the SPL, that it would become like the Scandinavian leagues, where the teams are very much part time or academy type teams, and it would encourage/produce more quality young talented players who would get more chances.

Edited by theprisoner

Matt, I think they should start at North West Counties level for that reason Matt, if they start in a professional division they are depriving a professional club of an opportunity. Celtic in the lower leagues would be incredible for the clubs, even better than a third round tie in the FA Cup because revenue won't have to be shared.

Cardiff and Swansea should be playing in the league of Wales imo, at the end of the day Scotland as a nation wants to separate from us, so why should be let them come and play in our football league.

It's only a vocal minority who want independence as far as I know. There are several Welsh clubs in the English league because the Welsh clubs predate the Welsh league (Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham, Merthyr Tydfil and Newport County).

On a similar theme, I don't see a problem with Welsh-based clubs in the English pyramid qualifying for Europe through the Welsh cup.

Lichtenstein clubs qualify through a cup that play in the Swiss league, Lichtenstein don't have a professional league either.

Cardiff and Swansea should be playing in the league of Wales imo, at the end of the day Scotland as a nation wants to separate from us, so why should we let them come and play in our football league.

My thoughts exactly.

We hate the English, they're all wankers but can we please come and play in your league? Celtic come from Scotland and therefore should play in Scotland where they rightfully belong.

I'd be really pissed if they were allowed in and were allowed to join at a high level.

Fuck them I say. They only want to come and play in this country for the cash cow it'd bring them. They're not arsed about killing Scottish football completely by leaving because they just want to line their own pockets.

They let their own league's standards slip so can't attract the same financial backers and then they want to jump ship? They've made their bed, now fucking lie in it.

Fuck them I say. They only want to come and play in this country for the cash cow it'd bring them. They're not arsed about killing Scottish football completely by leaving because they just want to line their own pockets.

They let their own league's standards slip so can't attract the same financial backers and then they want to jump ship? They've made their bed, now fucking lie in it.

Hungover a little Mark?

Guest blueboy122

I say we put our reserve teams into the scottish leagues!..... Mind you having to travel to Scotland every week would be a massive ball ache.

The SPL is a farce, no side outside of 'Gers or Celtic has been league champions since Aberdeen in 1985, what the fuck is that all about mellow.png

And putting Celtic into the 2nd division of english soccer, it just seems wholly inappropriate, are they suggesting the Parkhead outfit are of similar caliber. This is the same side, along with Rangers I suppose, that have represented their country in European Finals in the last 10 years, and beat some very good English and european sides on route to do so

I suppose people just assume, 'oh it's the scottish premier league, you beat Motherwell or Dundee etc, big thrills' - but let's be honest you can't really test your mettle up there, no wonder no side other than Rangers or Celts have not won the title since Toffees were victorious in Europe, no other sides for the majority of the time can get close to them

But if one or both were to join the english league, for heavens sake put them in the EPL, not the 2nd division, the latter simply isn't viable

But if one or both were to join the english league, for heavens sake put them in the EPL, not the 2nd division, the latter simply isn't viable

At whose expense?

You want to tell the teams finishing 16th & 17th that they're being thrown out to make way for them? Or make the league bigger (never happen)?

Celtic and Rangers may have been powerful in the past but I think they'd both do well to avoid relegation from the premier league as they are now.

Celtic and/ or Rangers are justifably viable for a place in the EPL, They are both too good for the second division of english soccer, the last decade is a powerful enough testament to that

It's not in the past damn it, as recently as 2003 Celtic reached the UEFA Cup Final and beat Liverpool at the last eight stage (and Blackburn too) before a near miss against FC Porto in Seville and Glasgow Rangers also got to the same Final two or three years ago and came close to glory

It's merely saying that jokes or bad humor about the Old Firm being a spent force playing in a joke league are old hat and that given the opportunity, they really can raise their game. If ever this - Celts and 'Gers join English soccer becomes a reality, it's the most viable solution to put them in the English Premier League, I am fairly confident either side would surely get a promotion from the second division so it make sense to automatically put them in at the highest level possible, Ibrox and Parkhead would be some formidable venue and there's points to be had here. There is little or no chance either Old Firm side would be relegated from the EPL first season, if given the opportunity, and Yes that means now or for the immediate future. The Glasgow venues and all that it entails will always give them a fighting chance

Celtic and/ or Rangers are justifably viable for a place in the EPL, They are both too good for the second division of english soccer, the last decade is a powerful enough testament to that

Disagree but fair enough if that's your view....but you didn't answer the question.

Who would lose their place to accommodate them?

Dalziel, they're not. Gone have the days when the two top clubs were even remotely good enough (time when Celtic had Nakamura and Larsson) and even then, thats a push.

Players who can't make it in the EPL or English league play in scotland. (Efraine Juarez, Samaras, Gary Hooper, David Healy, Bocanegra) just to name a few...and they're all in the 'top' two teams....

Not good enough for EPL imo, Mid table Championship at best.

Edited by tenaciousj

Spot on Mark...pretty much My thoughts on the idea

Think they would have everyone in Scotland(minus the Rangers fans) supporting them if they did come into the English league which would give them an unfair advantage. Win-win for them and lose-lose for English clubs; win for them getting the English money, and win for the extra fans, every game would be like a cup final for them.

I think maybe this idea of letting any SPL sides into the EPL is doomed to failure, even if I did entertain the idea, if only for curiosity sakes

Who would lose out to let them in?, well as we know it's three up three down at the moment at the highest levels, either just keep it that way and automatically add either one or both old firm clubs in from the very start of a season, or with a really surreal scenario, whoever occupies the bottom two places of an EPL season, instead of going down to the second division, they get to play in the SPL for a year, if only for one season, maybe that would offer some incentive to all teams fighting a relegation, but I think if this idea ever saw the light of day, simply including Celts or Gers or both even automatically at the start of play would be the most sensible option, it would merely be expanding the current capacity, and the three promoted teams from Division 2 still get to go up and play as normal

We're simply talking here about where could we fit them in, not necessarily about how well one or either would cope

I'm still insistant that both Glasgow stadia, particularly Parkhead, are still very formidable venues for any given opposition and I strongly feel on that basis and with enough points garnered either could survive at least in the English premier league and give some teams a game or two

The thing is, until this idea ever sees the light of day - we will simply never know

....whoever occupies the bottom two places of an EPL season, instead of going down to the second division, they get to play in the SPL for a year, if only for one season, maybe that would offer some incentive to all teams....

I never use lol....hate it. But if I did that bit would make me lo loudesthappy.png .

They change the damn rules every week it seems. What is right and appropriate one day is suddenly old news and obselete the next, a group of miserable specimens tamper with the rules and regulations so frequently it seems and we have different formats and qualification routes. And it should never have been changed from it's rightful name of the UEFA cup either

While on subject, Celtic could actually win the SPL title tomorrow at Ibrox stadium due to the latter being docked points for the administration fiasco.

Glasgow city center could resemble a war zone tomorrow, I wouldn't fancy being involved in any of that. unsure.png

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/mccoist-calls-for-calm-as-celtic-seek-ibrox-title-win.17117534?_=aec0f8f62c9a2434e6aaea6d069047b6de20ca73