IGNORED

Top ten Albums?

Finn balor

Mine change from week to week but the rules are no compilations or best of's. Live or unplugged are allowed.

1.Bob Dylan- bringing it all home

2.Jeff Buckley- Grace

3.Coldplay- Parachutes

4.Paul Weller - Stanley Road

5.Eric Clapton- MTV unplugged

6.Radiohead-ok computer

7.Rolling Stones- Exile on Main St

8.Bob Dylan- Desire

9.Oasis- Whats the Story?

10. Ice Cube- Predator

I'll update this sometime soon but with me being 18 the top albums in my life are those that have been pretty recently released as I can't remember back in the 90's as I was too young.

1: Gallows - Grey Britain

2: Young Guns - All Our Kings Are Dead & Bones (both albums are quality).

3: Good Charlotte - Good Morning Revival (don't particularly like Good Charlotte as people but musically this album is stunning).

4: Green Day - American Idiot (bit too commercial for me nowadays but I remember being a little kid and being blown away when they released this).

5: Simple Plan - Simple Plan

6: 30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War (could also add the previous album 'A Beautiful Lie' to the list too).

7: Hey Monday - Hold On Tight & Beneath It All EP (not a well known band and they are currently on hiatus but they're really, really good).

8: Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (One of those guilty pleasures I must admit Linkin Park for me, I hate to admit it but I love their early stuff).

And of course anything by Lostprophets gets a thumbs up; most notably the new album Weapons.

Ok Computer - Radiohead

Effloresce - Oceansize

Lateralus - Tool

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

ACDC - Back In Black

In Rainbows - Radiohead

Origin of Symitry - Muse

Fine Lines - My Vitriol

Slipknot - Skipknot

Grace - Jeff Buckley

It never ceases to amaze me how divisive musical tastes can be. Putting aside all the mods’n’rockers’ stuff ( a bit before my time), whenever the subject of favourite bands / songs comes up, there’s always that ‘ugh’ feeling in my heart when someone professes to like (plucking at random) a Tina Turner or Mariah Carey or have owned records by Genesis, Marillion, Simply Red or Simple Minds, or think the Stone Roses were any more than Simon and Garfunkel fronted by an ape, or that Oasis were any more than one decent song (Don’t Look Back in Anger). Record collections say so much about you (probably too much). There is nothing quite as distressing as flicking through someone’s CDs / MP3s and finding a Bon Jovi or Saxon or Metallica, or a Sade, or Bowie post-1980, or anything Simon Cowell spawned, or Pixie Lott. Without mentioning any groups or albums, most of the best stuff ever recorded was late sixties / early seventies. Lots of socio-cultural reasons for that. Not say that there hasn’t been interesting stuff written afterwards, but that was popular music’s hey-day and it’s been downhill ever since.

It never ceases to amaze me how divisive musical tastes can be. Putting aside all the mods’n’rockers’ stuff ( a bit before my time), whenever the subject of favourite bands / songs comes up, there’s always that ‘ugh’ feeling in my heart when someone professes to like (plucking at random) a Tina Turner or Mariah Carey or have owned records by Genesis, Marillion, Simply Red or Simple Minds, or think the Stone Roses were any more than Simon and Garfunkel fronted by an ape, or that Oasis were any more than one decent song (Don’t Look Back in Anger). Record collections say so much about you (probably too much). There is nothing quite as distressing as flicking through someone’s CDs / MP3s and finding a Bon Jovi or Saxon or Metallica, or a Sade, or Bowie post-1980, or anything Simon Cowell spawned, or Pixie Lott. Without mentioning any groups or albums, most of the best stuff ever recorded was late sixties / early seventies. Lots of socio-cultural reasons for that. Not say that there hasn’t been interesting stuff written afterwards, but that was popular music’s hey-day and it’s been downhill ever since.

Agree with much of that....though not all the specifics. Genesis did some very decent stuff in the early days for example.

Ten off the top of my head....though some for emotional reasons rather than musical (and tomorrow I'd probably come up with something completely different)...

After the Goldrush-Neil Young

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John

Well well said the Rocking Chair- Dean Friedman

Time and Tide- Greenslade

Lady Fantasy- Camel

Do You see the Lights- Rab Noakes

Ommadawn- Mike Oldfield

Bang!- World Party

Fireball- Deep Purple

Remote Control-The Tubes

Agree with much of that....though not all the specifics. Genesis did some very decent stuff in the early days for example.

Ten off the top of my head....though some for emotional reasons rather than musical (and tomorrow I'd probably come up with something completely different)...

After the Goldrush-Neil Young

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John

Well well said the Rocking Chair- Dean Friedman

Time and Tide- Greenslade

Lady Fantasy- Camel

Do You see the Lights- Rab Noakes

Ommadawn- Mike Oldfield

Bang!- World Party

Fireball- Deep Purple

Remote Control-The Tubes

Absolute classic! Not listened to it for ages, been waiting years for Karl to do a new album!

you say a lot of that like it's fact...no music is bad if someone likes it i guess...except u2

I'm just not cool enough to post on here - I am the saddo who get's the 'best of' albums because they have a few songs on that I like

but.... in terms of true albums that i've loved not in any particular order: - I may even miss some out but...

Doors - The doors

Doors - Morrison Hotel

Ocean Colour Scene - Mosely Shoals

Ocean Colour scene - B side seasides and free rides

Doors - Soft parade

Oasis - whats the story

Pulp - different class

There is nothing quite as distressing as flicking through someone’s CDs / MP3s and finding a Bon Jovi or Saxon or Metallica, or a Sade, or Bowie post-1980, or anything Simon Cowell spawned, or Pixie Lott.

I have a diverse musical taste and with that comes having both Pixie Lott's albums in my collection. I'm anti-mass produced music that not even been written by the person that sings it but I am into people that are in the charts producing catchy music that actually write it themselves (for example; Pixie Lott).

What do you think of the post Morrison albums?

Sacrilege to some but I think "Other Voices" is brilliant.

Never even entertained the idea of it to be honest Mike, bit ignorant of me as Manzarek and Krieger were brilliant and underrated muscians... but yeah The Doors without Morrison is a bit like Queen without Mercury. It's that magic that can't be replaced.

These are in no particular order and change all the time, so these are just what come to mind right now.

Paramore - Brand New Eyes

Funeral For A Friend - Hours

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Mayday Parade - A Lesson In Romantics

You Me At Six - Sinners Never Sleep

Eminem - The Eminem Show

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other?

Currently

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the aeroplane over the sea

Radiohead - In Rainbows (/KidA/HTTF/TKOL)

Dallas Green - Bring me your love

Neil Young - Harvest

Yes - Fragile

Soft Machine - Third

Modest Mouse - This is a long drive for someone with nothing to talk about

Mazzy Star - Among My Swan

The Kills - Midnight Boom

Bryan Ferry - These Foolish Things

Depending on the weather, substitute in; The Mountain Goats, Bowie, Queen, Ray LaMontagne, Eminem, Tool, James, Blur, Paul Weller, Counting Crows, Raveonettes, Cold War Kids, Libertines, Snow Patrol, Prince, Kinks, Beatles, Eagles.

Counting Crows is a good call....August & Everything After probably.

Don't believe I left Mott the Hoople off....All The Young Dudes (title track being by far the weakest on the album).

I was thinking of Recovering the Satellites. I haven't listened to their 1st album yet.

Never heard of Mott the Hoople, surprised they got away with that name sounds very rude.

I didn't think I could name ten albums, I generally cherry pick the songs I like.

Interpol - Turn on the bright lights

Presidents of the USA - Self titled

Oasis - Definitely maybe

The Killers - Hot Fuzz

Green Day - Dookie

Muse - Showbiz

The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart

Stereophonics - Performance and Cocktails (my first ever single purchase was "just looking", I liked it that much I bought the album)

Foo Fighters - Color and the shape

Meat Loaf - Bat out of hell part 1

I like Bowie but don't have or could name an album. I have a 3cd collection by him.

Bang!- World Party

On your recommendation, Mike, and because I'm a bit unfamiliar with WP, I gave this a chance today.

Is it like today?, lyrically and musically, is one of the finest things I've ever heard. Absolutely brilliant. Playing it over and over. A touch of George H in there.

Many thanks.

Never even entertained the idea of it to be honest Mike, bit ignorant of me as Manzarek and Krieger were brilliant and underrated muscians... but yeah The Doors without Morrison is a bit like Queen without Mercury. It's that magic that can't be replaced.

Great documentary on LA Woman the other night.

That and Morrison Hotel are absolutely indispensible.

Must've heard this....Bowie produced the album and played sax.

Nope, jus had a little listen to a few songs they've got on youtube and All The Way From Memphis is the only song I recognise. Sound a bit like Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music to me :)

Pavement - Slanted Enchanted

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

The Clash - London Calling

Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is Talking Heads

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Weezer - Pinkerton or Pixies - Doolittle

Slippery when wet - Bon Jovi

Hysteria - Def Leppard

Generation terrorists - manic street preachers

Innuendo - Queen

We can dance - Genesis

Appetite for Destruction - Guns & Roses

What's the story - Oasis

Dr feelgood - Mötley Crüe

Happiness - Hurts

Brothers in arms - Dire Straits

These are in no particular order and change all the time, so these are just what come to mind right now.

Paramore - Brand New Eyes

Funeral For A Friend - Hours

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Mayday Parade - A Lesson In Romantics

You Me At Six - Sinners Never Sleep

Eminem - The Eminem Show

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other?

3 that would be hoverin around my list for sure...amazin albums...especially the marshal mathers lp

May I suggest the criminally overlooked Kula Shaker? If Pets, Pigs and Astronauts and K had been written in ’72, they would be on everyone’s list of all-time classic albums.

XTC’s Skylarking also deserves a mention.

Oh, and Pet Sounds, too (though maybe that’s a bit obvious).