IGNORED

Indonesia trip cancelled

Louis

What a farce this Java Cup is.. Marseille pull out and are replaced with Malaysia, Galatasary pull out and are replaced with an Indonesidan B-team.. now Everton are to pull out and the Indonesian organisers are suggesting (but not confirming) that Nacional of Uruguay are to participate.

Doomed from the start, this is from the FA who were literally ran by a man from a prison cell.

Apparently it comes down to three areas of doubt; financial, logistical and security problems.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/07/24/java-cup-withdrawal

Everton can confirm that we will now unfortunately not be participating in the inaugural Java Cup which was due to take place in Indonesia later this week.

Following a number of recently uncovered issues, concerned Club officials asked the tournament organisers for assurances about the competition, especially following the withdrawal of Galatasaray.

Initially, it was indicated that Nacional from Uruguay would replace the Turkish Champions but the identity of the participating clubs and the subsequent structure of the competition remained unconfirmed.

A Club spokesperson explained: "Club officials here in the UK and our forward planning/security team deployed to Jakarta at the weekend have repeatedly asked for clarity and assurances from the organisers on the issues but unfortunately have not received the answers we required in the timeframe necessary to ensure our participation.

"We are grateful for the support today of the Indonesian government in this matter, however the unresolved issues mean that the risk of travelling was too great.

“This decision was not taken lightly and we apologise for the obvious inconvenience caused to our supporters who have made, or were planning to make the trip and to our Indonesian fans who were looking forward to seeing Everton in action.

"The first team squad will now stay in the UK and continue their pre-season preparations."

Disappointing from a commercial perspective, probably leaves us a couple of decent friendly's short as well, hopefully we can replace with something worthwhile at short notice.

Apparently Moyes didn't want to go anyway and that it was Elstone who pushed it.

TBF I don't think any manager's would want to be taking their teams all around the world at this stage of pre-season to play in some meaningless friendlies - ref: Man U, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea.

It's not a football decision, it's about satisfying sponsors and globalisation of their brand.

Edited by SharpysVolley

"We will take Galatasaray and Everton to court of arbitration" - Patrick Mbaya, match agent #JavaCup

"Everton has damaged their name here in Indonesia. They will not come here for many years to come" said Patrick Mbaya, match agent sternly.

"We have submitted a letter to Everton FC asking them to pay the damages after their last minute withdrawal from Java Cup" - Match agent.

from Aysha - @ayshardzn

They don't need to go half way round the world for a soccer game in unfavorable hot weather when they can stay in the UK and do it and save some travel expenses. Ok, it might have been an exotic trip for the players, and some may have been excited about such a destination, but all said, it is really perhaps no great loss. Perhaps this is really for the best.

I think it probably has more to do with the security threats that the uncertainty has created.

Looks like this venue has seen 2 seperate incidents in the last year where fans have kicked off and there have been deaths as a result.

Glad we're not going.

If that's genuine it's shameful.....should be "either" rather than "neither".

Can't believe someone in authority at the FA could be so poorly educated that they'd make such a schoolboy error.

Also should be "or" rather than "nor" and there shouldn't be a comma ahead of it.

Therefore (imo) fake.

neither .... nor is correct as far as I know, or are you referring to another part that Im not seeing?

still, looks fake - no colour on the paper. Question then is, who has that much time?!

Edited by Matt

neither .... nor is correct as far as I know, or are you referring to another part that Im not seeing?

still, looks fake - no colour on the paper. Question then is, who has that much time?!

"Neither" is only used to mean "not one or the other of two" but there are then three bodies listed who we've not meant to offend so it's wrong

smile.png .

"I don't think neither Arsenal, Liverpool, nor Chelsea will win the league this season" is gibberish.

"I don't think either Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea will win the league...." isn't.

"Neither" is only used to mean "not one or the other of two" but there are then three bodies listed who we've not meant to offend so it's wrong

smile.png .

"I don't think neither Arsenal, Liverpool, nor Chelsea will win the league this season" is gibberish.

"I don't think either Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea will win the league...." isn't.

good lord.... Capt Nitpicker! Technically, if it was gibberish it wouldnt make any sense, but I can understand it perfectly

1-1 :P